Theological debate: please join me inside.

mrcrow

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But there is also archaeological evidence that support a great deal in the Bible.

The setting of the Bible is not some fictitious place, it is a real place in Palestine and in Iraq and Egypt, real places that exist.

The Bible is not a book that claims to have everything, just what is essential to the faith. We know very little about Jesus Christ's life from when he was a young boy until he started his public ministry, so if something turns up saying he was a carpenter who made shelves at Nazareth or Galilee while in his twenties, that does nothing to shake my faith. He had to be doing SOMETHING.

I suppose my next question, given such a find, would be "How much did he charge for shelves and did he charge by the hour, or amount of work?"

:thu:

The book I quoted by James Tabor states that the Bible used the greek word tekton - this likely means 'stone cutter'. KK could likely verify or not.

Kind of makes sense when you consider the phrase, "the stone the builders have rejected has now become the cornerstone...", doesn't it? Also, I don't picture lumberjacks and log cabins in ancient Palestine either - do you? I don't think the archaeology bears a lot of wooden houses either.

You've shown yourself to be a reasonable person in this thread. Why not read the book and give it a fair appraisal instead of dismissing a man who's made studying Jesus his life's work?

• Members

The book I quoted by James Tabor states that the Bible used the greek word tekton - this likely means 'stone cutter'. KK could likely verify or not.

I'm wondering what his reasoning for translating it that way is. The word means "woodworker" and more generally "craftsman". Several ancient authors put it in apposition to other professions, such as a mason, which is "lithologos" ("lithos" being the root for stone)...

A tektoneion is a carpenter's workshop, tektonia is the craft of carpentry, etc...

Also, I don't picture lumberjacks and log cabins in ancient Palestine either - do you? I don't think the archaeology bears a lot of wooden houses either.

Not so. Wood was used in a great number of buildings. Probably more than stone, since stone is so expensive. Wood itself doesn't survive in the ground without decomposing, but wood was a very common building material. Even in stone buildings, the roof was generally constructed out of wood.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

As a political party,the Nazis were NOT christian by any strech.

Luther writes that the
are a "base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth."
Luther wrote that they are "full of the devil's feces ... which they wallow in like swine,"
and the
is an "incorrigible whore and an evil slut ..."
He argues that their synagogues and
be set on fire, their
destroyed,
forbidden to preach, homes razed, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,
afforded no legal protection,
and these "poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time.
He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "e are at fault in not slaying them."

The prevailing scholarly view
since the
is that the treatise exercised a major and persistent influence on Germany's attitude toward its Jewish citizens in the centuries between the
and the

Four hundred years after it was written, the
displayed
On the Jews and Their Lies
during
, and the city of Nuremberg presented a first edition to
, editor of the Nazi newspaper

• Members

Not so. Wood was used in a great number of buildings. Probably more than stone, since stone is so expensive. Wood itself doesn't survive in the ground without decomposing, but wood was a very common building material. Even in stone buildings, the roof was generally constructed out of wood.

Learned something new again. I thought the walls of most buildings were stone and only the roofs were wood. Thanks!

• Members

So are you suggesting that Hitler and the boys were God fearing Christians?

Nope. Although I think that given the breadth of the organization there had to be God-fearing Christians inside the party. They were everyday people too.

I'm suggesting that the distance between Lutheran Christianity and Adolf's Nazi gang wasn't as far away as the poster thinks. you don't have to stretch far to find a Christian link at all. In fact you can put an anti-semitic work one of the chief authors of the reformation on display at the Nurenburg rallies.

Where does everyone think the anti-semitism came from, if it wasn't Christianity? Did the Nazis get it from the Arabs, or did invent it out of thin air? Hoisting Luther's book up at the Nurenburg rallies and presenting it as a gift to the editor of the Nazi newspaper would suggest otherwise.

• Members

Most who I know would say Ishmael.
;)

I'll have to figure out what you mean I think.

As usual, the issue of Nazis, Christianity and Anti-semitism is complex. If it wasn't we would already know the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_antisemitism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_antisemitism#Christians_in_Nazi_Germany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Christianity

• Members

I'll have to figure out what you mean I think.

Ishmael and Isaac were Abraham's two sons. Ishmael came through Hagar, a maid-servant and Isaac came through Sarah, Abe's wife. It's said that Islam came through Ishmael's line and the Jews came down through Isaac's.

• Members

Ishmael and Isaac were Abraham's two sons. Ishmael came through Hagar, a maid-servant and Isaac came through Sarah, Abe's wife. It's said that Islam came through Ishmael's line and the Jews came down through Isaac's.

I thought you were trying to link antisemitism to Nazis through Ishmael/Arabs. Are you?

Don't forget that the same bible holds that Papua New Guinea natives, Inuit, Vikings, the French and the Chinese got their hues and languages at the Tower of Babel.

• Members

I thought you were trying to link antisemitism to Nazis through Ishmael/Arabs. Are you?

Don't forget that the same bible holds that Papua New Guinea natives, Inuit, Vikings, the French and the Chinese got their hues and languages at the Tower of Babel.

I'm not sure that there's a lot of debate about the existence of Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael. Muslim's, Jew's and Christians all claim their existence, I haven't heard too many people argue the contrary. And I wasn't trying to make a link to the Nazi's, only addressing antisemitism.

• Members

I'm not sure that there's a lot of debate about the existence of Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael. Muslim's, Jew's and Christians all claim their existence, I haven't heard too many people argue the contrary. And I wasn't trying to make a link to the Nazi's, only addressing antisemitism.

Sure about the existence part. But I wonder about the extrapolation of nations from the one literal family - hence the babel story reference.

Thanks for clarification about the Nazi link.

• Members

Kind of makes sense when you consider the phrase, "the stone the builders have rejected has now become the cornerstone...", doesn't it? Also, I don't picture lumberjacks and log cabins in ancient Palestine either - do you? I don't think the archaeology bears a lot of wooden houses either.

You've shown yourself to be a reasonable person in this thread. Why not read the book and give it a fair appraisal instead of dismissing a man who's made studying Jesus his life's work?

I might. I didn't even know this thread was back! I need to refresh my memory...:thu:

Archived