OK, I'm going to *try* to chill out on the politics *a bit*...

georgestrings

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you suggesting that McCain loves earmarks? What's his record on that, btw? For the criticism Palin has received for stipends, she's shaved $300,000 off of stipend expenditures for the AK governor. The list goes on.

Here's his voting record on budget related items. It appears to me that for all of the {censored} he talks about pork barrel spending, he sure does drop an awful lot of Yes votes on bills that were known to contain pork.

I'm quite confident that he'd trim the fat if he had the line item veto, but I'm also certain that he will make no effort to curb expansion of gov't programs.

• Members

who wants to bet this thread turns into a flame fest?

I appreciate the effort George.

I honestly don't see why people in this thread are still giving him {censored}? I know I've asked him to ease back and before now wasn't even open to it. I appreciate the effort George, and the great thing about political views, or views in general, is that you don't have to apologize to anyone for them.

• Moderators
Here's his voting record on budget related items.
It appears to me that for all of the {censored} he talks about pork barrel spending, he sure does drop an awful lot of Yes votes on bills that were known to contain pork.

I'm quite confident that he'd trim the fat if he had the line item veto, but I'm also certain that he will make no effort to curb expansion of gov't programs.

Of course, but those earmarks weren't intended for his state. I'm most concerned with trimming fat (at the moment I think that has the best opportunity of getting accomplished). I understand where you're coming from on the programs. I'm of the opinion that real change has to start somewhere and McCain/Palin could really be that opportunity. I certainly haven't been a McCain fanboi. Juggs and Lug can attest to that one.

• Members

...I'm not making any promises, but I don't want to be all that annoying about constantly bringing up politics... Maybe, instead of appearing to be spamming, I can keep it all in one or 2 threads - that way, those interested can take a look, while those whom are not won't have such a difficult time avoiding it...

I apologize to the non-Obama supporters that I may have annoyed with my political posts... To the Obama supporters, I make no such apology, as I feel they didn't have a problem with the frequency of political posts when it supported their pet causes...

- georgestrings

Ya' know, I might actually start picking up the phone when I see you on my caller ID. :lol::lol:

• Members

Of course, but those earmarks weren't intended for his state. I'm most concerned with trimming fat (at the moment I think that has the best opportunity of getting accomplished). I understand where you're coming from on the programs. I'm of the opinion that real change has to start somewhere and McCain/Palin could really be that opportunity. I certainly haven't been a McCain fanboi. Juggs and Lug can attest to that one.

It's all well and good if he manages to trim the $100 billion in pork that I've heard about, but it's worthless if gov't spending increases $500 billion in expanded programs.

Hell, I honestly thought that when the republicans got control seven years ago they'd actually cut down on gov't spending. They haven't and McCain has done little in the meantime to make me think that he will actually do anything about it once elected.

• Moderators
Hell, I honestly thought that when the republicans got control seven years ago they'd actually cut down on gov't spending. They haven't and McCain has done little in the meantime to make me think that he will actually do anything about it once elected.

I was disappointed like you were. I just don't think 1 or 2 Senators can go to the Senate and shake things up. I think the best they can do is try to effect change, which he has tried to do while working across party lines. The President is the only one in Washington that I would consider to have a bully pulpit.

• Members

It's all well and good if he manages to trim the $100 billion in pork that I've heard about, but it's worthless if gov't spending increases $500 billion in expanded programs.

I guess the question then is "Between Obama and McCain, who will cause the gubmint to spend more". It's no contest for me. Obama AND a democratic Congress will be just as spend happy if not more than Bush and republican Congress and there is virtually no chance of a republican Congress anytime soon.

• Members

who wants to bet this thread turns into a flame fest?

I appreciate the effort George.

Well, I won't fan any flames on purpose - honestly, I don't want to be such an annoyance that people tune out the message I'm trying to get across - hence, the effort to throttle it back a bit...

Of course, *some* people are going to jump on me regardless of what I do, and maybe to an extent I've brought some of that on myself - can't win 'em all...

- georgestrings

• Members
Well, I won't fan any flames on purpose - honestly, I don't want to be such an annoyance that people tune out the message I'm trying to get across - hence, the effort to throttle it back a bit...

Of course, *some* people are going to jump on me regardless of what I do, and maybe to an extent I've brought some of that on myself - can't win 'em all...

- georgestrings

jumps on georgestrings....man, THAT's gotta hurt!:eek:

• Members
I don't - although it wouldn't be the 1st time you and I disagreed about something...

- georgestrings

I do. I've been wearing glasses since 2nd grade, its kind of traumatizing. :cry:

I don't think we really disagree on anything. You just have strong opinions so I take the other side just for the hell of it. I have very few opinions on actual politics, and the ones that I do have are generally universal things that most people would agree with.

• Members

I guess the question then is "Between Obama and McCain, who will cause the gubmint to spend more". It's no contest for me. Obama AND a democratic Congress will be just as spend happy if not more than Bush and republican Congress and there is virtually no chance of a republican Congress anytime soon.

I have no reason to believe that McCain and a Democratic congress would be even more spend happy.

With a Republican in the white house who wants to be seen as a uniter, the Democrats can ramrod all kinds of crazy spending through and when the budget goes tits up, they can blame the Republican in charge.

With a Democrat at the helm, I think they might be a bit more inclined to show some restraint if for no other reason than political gain.

Either way, federal spending will increase to a point that will make GWB look like a miser.

As I'm sure you all well know, I am not voting for either McCain or Obama.

• Members
...I'm not making any promises, but I don't want to be all that annoying about constantly bringing up politics... Maybe, instead of appearing to be spamming, I can keep it all in one or 2 threads - that way, those interested can take a look, while those whom are not won't have such a difficult time avoiding it...

I apologize to the non-Obama supporters that I may have annoyed with my political posts... To the Obama supporters, I make no such apology, as I feel they didn't have a problem with the frequency of political posts when it supported their pet causes...

- georgestrings

...no, say it isn't so...:cry:

...seriously, if you feel like not posting don't, but if you feel otherwise, do...

...you're absolutely correct about Barry's minions having no problem at all with thread after thread after thread of Liberal malarkey...

• Members

That same link you posted includes quite a few N and NV results along with the Yes votes.

Not on the big ones.

It's all right though, gov't spending is what it takes to get elected these days. If he was running on a streamlined gov't platform, he'd lose by 20 points.

• Members

I have wondered for some time, how often a senator or congressperson thinks "Well, everyone else is getting pork in this bill and they are offering to throw a few million for my district if i go along with them, so why not get our share..."

It's an excellent re-election strategy.

• Members
I do. I've been wearing glasses since 2nd grade, its kind of traumatizing.
:cry:

I don't think we really disagree on anything. You just have strong opinions so I take the other side just for the hell of it. I have very few opinions on actual politics, and the ones that I do have are generally universal things that most people would agree with.

Well, that sheds a bit of light on some things...

- georgestrings

• Members

Well, that sheds a bit of light on some things...

- georgestrings

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think of ever mentioning it before, but I tend to be a devil's advocate on occasion.

I will say that when you are challenged in a way that illicits a logical, respectful response, you always rise to the occasion with something that is very insightful and worthwhile (even if I don't always agree with the position itself).

• Members

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think of ever mentioning it before, but I tend to be a devil's advocate on occasion.

I will say that when you are challenged in a way that illicits a logical, respectful response, you always rise to the occasion with something that is very insightful and worthwhile (even if I don't always agree with the position itself).

Thanks for the compliment - I appreciate it... I'm a big stickler for truthfulness and sincerity, and always try to back up my side of things with something that's readily verified - and I always do consider the other side, just in case they're onto something that I hadn't thought of yet...

- georgestrings

Archived