what does "crafted in USA" mean?

Krazybob

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Another union-buster who's more than happy to raise his share value by lowering wages. Go ask those working at that Cat plant where their wages and benefits are, compared with the plant that was closed and moved (the new favorite MO of corporate giants...shut the plant, and relocate to an economically depressed area willing to jump at the chance to offer tax incentives and low-wage workers without representation.)

Indeed, Cat is a shining example of {censored}ing over the worker:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CEEDD173CF931A15752C1A964958260

Back to the op-ed.

I do so love this gem:

"Where will all the people work? How about health care, which employs 14.6 million, or finance, which employs 8.9 million, or even information, which employs 3.2 million?"

Yeah, let's see how many people make the jump from manufacturing to a nursing position, or LOL.....finance. Good luck paying the mortgage for the 4 years it takes to get the degree...oh and then breaking into that field with ZERO job experience.

And information? He's got to be {censored}ing kidding. I've got 12 years experience in IT and am having a hard time finding anything, let alone at the salary I was making 3 years ago. Yeah buddy, you try it some time.

It's this out-of-touch attitude of "those willing to change" that really makes me wonder about these op-ed writers.

So his opinion automatically means he's a shareholder with a vested interest? Out-of-touch? If he's in touch, what should his perception be?

:confused:

I'm sorry, craig, but it really seems like your attitude might be limiting. :idk: I don't know that much about your personal situation, and who knows, if WK gets his wish, I may have to make a career switch, too. But what others options are there?

Specifically, I'm referring to comments like this:

Yeah, let's see how many people make the jump from manufacturing to a nursing position, or LOL.....finance. Good luck paying the mortgage for the 4 years it takes to get the degree...oh and then breaking into that field with ZERO job experience.

It just seems like you're focused on the obstacles, not the solution. It's defeatist. That's got to limit you, no?

You're a mod on a forum here, and you spend A LOT of time posting. Have you considered using that time to get another degree, or training, or whatever one needs to do to adapt to the situation? There's online correspondence, and not every degree takes 4 years.

Please forgive me for being blunt, but I just see lousy attitudes from some (well, 2 posters) here. I know everyone's personal situation is different, but dammit...that is NOT the American way that I know! :mad:

EDIT: I need to get off this board today, or else WK's hopes and dreams will become reality. I'll be back by Monday (earlier, probably :D).

• Members

No one {censored}s with you. People respond and point out that you are often illogical and uninformed. There is a big difference.

No, I'm just opinionated, and that opinion differs from many of yours.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

By the way, my reading comprehension is in the top 1% according to all of the tests I have taken.

And if you want to take an IQ test - let's go - I might just surprise you Kindness.

Just as I have found out from time to time, it's best not to judge one's intellectual capacity or character from stupid throwaway posts on an internet forum, though I do appreciate your concern for my apparent lack of reading comprehension.

(And just count the posts from people who felt the need to "Correct" me - that's piling on, by definition)

And BBL, I said it in the PM that I replied to and I'll say it again here publicly: I would not have responded with the vitriol had you not insulted my integrity by implying that my skills were lacking.

My skills are very, very solid. Companies layoff and outsource to save money, not improve quality - just witness the class action lawsuit against Dell after they shut down their Houston call center and went with an Indian-based one.

Better still, you go ahead and tell one of those displaced workers exactly what you posted here, and see what kind of reaction you get.

Like I said - when it happens to you, you'll change your tune; it's not "protectionism" I'm looking for in the classic sense.....It's just the expectation that American-based corps should be creating jobs for Americans; what we get instead are corporations taking advantage of some of the lowest tax rates on the planet, while employing overseas workers.

This should not be allowed, IN MY OPINION.

But enough of this bull{censored} - this is supposed to be a bass forum after all. :idea:

This quote pissed me off:

I offer my skills to the market, and the market tells me what those skills are worth.

If some kid in India can do my job as well as I can for 1/3 my salary, why shouldn't the market choose him over me?

1: Your logic is fallacious - what data do you have to support this claim?

2: This statement offends me deeply - as a displaced worker with DIRECT EXPERIENCE in this issue, I can state un-equivocally that I was NOT displaced by equally skilled workers; I was displaced by CHEAPER workers, with state-subsidized educations from the Indian Institute of Technology.

Oddly, I don't see Kindness, Kashue or other members of the intellectual brigade attacking your specious reasoning. :idea:

Oh, and to answer your question: those companies are free to incorporate overseas; why do they choose to incorporate in the United States and then hire foreign workers?

What other country tolerates this bull{censored}?

• Members
in more economically depressed areas of the country, yes. they do.

Not just that - but those jobs create other jobs, such as mine - a skilled IT position serving the manufacturing sector.

GE has an informatics division known as GEIS which has been decimated by outsourcing; instead of talking to Glenn in Louisville for an EDI concern, I now talk to Mahesh in Bangalore. :mad:

Isn't it amazing how well-meaning, intelligent people can so readily dismiss the loss of manufacturing jobs? :facepalm:

• Members
Not just that - but those jobs create other jobs, such as mine - a skilled IT position serving the manufacturing sector.

GE has an informatics division known as GEIS which has been decimated by outsourcing; instead of talking to Glenn in Louisville for an EDI concern, I now talk to Mahesh in Bangalore.
:mad:

Isn't it amazing how well-meaning, intelligent people can so readily dismiss the loss of manufacturing jobs?
:facepalm:

exactly.at least in the part of the country i live in - manufacturing is a huge part of the economy. there's a bomb factory about 3 miles from my house and when they scale back production (like when there's not a war going on) it shifts the job market for the entire county around.
there are several other factories within commuting range and i went to high school in a small town not far from here. i know,in that town anyway, that you had 3 options when you graduated- work in a convenience store,work for the factory or move.that particular factory supports 70 to 90 percent of the workforce of the town.if that factory outsourced everything what do you think would happen there?
that's not an isolated example in this part of the country - i can think of 4 other towns in a 30 mile radius that are in the same situation.granted -i don't think government involvement is the answer to the problem but, other countries use import taxes to level the playing field and stabilize the economy
(someone mentioned australia?)and it might be something to look into.

• Members

that's not an isolated example in this part of the country - i can think of 4 other towns in a 30 mile radius that are in the same situation.granted -i don't think government involvement is the answer to the problem but, other countries use import taxes to level the playing field and stabilize the economy

(someone mentioned australia?)and it might be something to look into.

Right - I don't know why I got jumped on for the gov't involvement deal when I specifically mentioned my direct experience with Foreign Trade Zones. :facepalm:

For those of you that don't know how FTZ's work - do a little reading and be enlightened; they are basically duty-free zones for foreign goods; overflow storage as it were, allowing for JIT shipments of foreign goods with the duty deferred until the point of manufacture.

Companies are saving a fortune on these deals; if you renounce these agreements and re-instate the tairiffs, the jobs WILL come back.

And I tell you - it was a sad day when I shut down that Maytag EDI feed; I knew that many many people were out of work and for what?

To save few bucks by moving production out of country.

It's an outrage - remember, we're talking MAYTAG, the QUALITY brand with it's reputation built on reliability; people are USED to paying more for Maytag to get that American quality.

Notice you don't see that marketing campaign anymore from them (Maytag repairman sitting on ass).?

Some of you all might want to reconsider your positions on these matters - I mean look; I've got direct experience in this sector and I'm getting shouted down by a bunch of folks who don't?

That just doesn't add up - sure, I'm not the friendliest guy but don't discount my experience; where I sit I might know a little bit more about this sector than some law students, ya dig what I'm saying?

• Members
Right - I don't know why I got jumped on for the gov't involvement deal when I specifically mentioned my direct experience with Foreign Trade Zones.

For those of you that don't know how FTZ's work - do a little reading and be enlightened; they are basically duty-free zones for foreign goods; overflow storage as it were, allowing for JIT shipments of foreign goods with the duty deferred until the point of manufacture.

Companies are saving a fortune on these deals; if you renounce these agreements and re-instate the tairiffs, the jobs WILL come back.

And I tell you - it was a sad day when I shut down that Maytag EDI feed; I knew that many many people were out of work and for what?

To save few bucks by moving production out of country.

It's an outrage - remember, we're talking MAYTAG, the QUALITY brand with it's reputation built on reliability; people are USED to paying more for Maytag to get that American quality.

Notice you don't see that marketing campaign anymore from them (Maytag repairman sitting on ass).?

Some of you all might want to reconsider your positions on these matters - I mean look; I've got direct experience in this sector and I'm getting shouted down by a bunch of folks who don't?

That just doesn't add up - sure, I'm not the friendliest guy but don't discount my experience; where I sit I might know a little bit more about this sector than some law students, ya dig what I'm saying?

Well, for one thing, Americans no longer vote with their dollars on quality items. Rather, they prefer inexpensive throw away alternatives. Each of us that shops at WalMart operates like corporate America when we buy the cheapest regardless of long term consequences. All we care about is saving the almighty dollar today.

• Members

Well, for one thing, Americans no longer vote with their dollars on quality items. Rather, they prefer inexpensive throw away alternatives. Each of us that shops at WalMart operates like corporate America when we buy the cheapest regardless of long term consequences. All we care about is saving the almighty dollar today.

I know man - I {censored}ing hate it; I hate WalMart but I still get some groceries there, because I can't freaking afford Kroger's.

Yeah - this leaves me wide open to the cliche'd attack "You're part of the problem".......

This is EXACTLY why our government needs to do something, in my opinion.

The old mentality of "buy American" - I mean c'mon, that's cliche; the race to the bottom has gone on too long; we CAN'T afford American (we as in individuals underpaid and over-worked), yet we can't afford NOT to buy American, in the sense that we are only helping the race to the bottom....

YEah, that's a mess of a sentence....gov't needs to do something....

• Members

This is for all you pussies whining about this {censored}!

If you didn't want to deal with it

Define "it"?

"It", as in watching free trade agreements suck away American jobs, the most lax corporate tax structure in the free world inviting corporations here, only to have them export money and jobs overseas, while still reaping the benefits of our country?

watching foreign governments take control of our infrastructure?

Guess who owns the water company in my city?

A German company - nice, huh? Better hope we don't piss off Germany any time soon.

And hey, when you're in your barracks in Iraq, you might want to go check the water pump, because Halliburton/KBR won't fix it unless they were asked too, even if it poses an immediate threat to your health.

Wouldn't you rather build and maintain your own barracks Dan, or do you feel safe with the cocksuckers at KBR fixing your barracks for you?

And if you ever get sent to Federal Prison, you can rest easy knowing that you are contributing to the profits of another privately held company.

Who hauls your trash Dan - is it your city, or is it Waste Management or BMI?

Don't you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that your tax dollars are supporting one of the most corrupt corporations in our country?

Our cities can't even haul their own trash anymore....

America: Government of the Corporation, by the corporation, and for the corporation.

And don't even get me started on Fannie Mae.

• Members
I would not have responded with the vitriol had you not
insulted my integrity by implying that my skills were lacking.

Did you actually read what I wrote? Do you see and understand the part about doing the same job... for 1/3 the salary?

I never implied your skills were lacking. Heck, I never said anything about you. If you actually felt that secure about your job skills, you wouldn't have reacted this way. You wouldn't have cared. Instead, you did care, and based on this, and your post history, you come off like a crazy, whiny, emotional, insecure little bitch.

You can keep hoping I lose my job, my house, everything I've worked for... whatever. I don't care. It ain't gonna happen. Not boasting, but I'm CPA with 15 years experience, and, well, the job market always looks good for us, expansion or recession. Just sayin. That's one reason I chose this profession (you can bet it wasn't for the ladies :D).

• Members

gov't needs to do something....

I'd gladly hire an immigrant with few skills and a great attitude over someone like yourself. This country was built by immigrants who took initiative, not by those who looked for others to do so.

You're a sad excuse for an American worker. You and your attitude are the obstacles to progress.

You lost your job to foreigners. {censored} happens. It's how you react that's important. You should lose your sense of entitlement.

• Members

You wouldn't have cared. Instead, you did care, and based on this, and your post history, you come off like a crazy, whiny, emotional, insecure little bitch.

You know what - {censored} you.

I was displaced by cheap foreign labor. Period. Had nothing to do with skills. And guess what, I never drew un-employment or otherwise burdened your society - I made {censored} happen by going underground, and kept my family alive in the process. But I'm not happy about it or proud.

So here you go, on the one hand saying you don't know me and then on the other hand making ridiculous blanket statements about skills.

They'll find a way to outsource CPA's given enough time, mark my words.

As you said, if some kid in India can do your job for 1/3 the salary....:lol:

And I've got your whiny bitch right here - I've refrained from throwing insults your way even in the face of your condescending bull{censored} but if you wanna go there then lets go pal.

• Members
You're so naive -
acting as if job SKILLS
are the only factor at play here...

I was displaced by cheap foreign labor. Period.
Had nothing to do with skills.

No {censored}.

Then why did you think I was "saying your job skills are lacking" when I said:

If some kid in India can do my job as well as I can
for 1/3 my salary
, why shouldn't the market choose him over me?

WTF? And this gem:

I've refrained from throwing insults your way

Uh, wha??? :confused::confused::confused:

I hope that happens to you someday, and you lose your {censored}ing house and everything you've worked for.

Go away and go find yourself a job you crazy bird!

Archived