OT: Chargers were robbed

Super_Donut_Man

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
hope that doesn't effect mcFadden, as long as he keeps doin what he did this week, ive got a playoff spot clinched
:lol:

HAHAHAH.. No.

I like Kiffen. I think he's getting shafted. But the Raiders are not a playoff caliber team. They looked good against the Chiefs but terrible against Denver. McFadden is good, but he's not gonna run for 200 yards every week.

As I said in another thread, I think they will be much better than they were last year, but they are not a playoff team yet. The need their QB to learn how to read defenses and become more of a packet passer to compliment his atheleticism.

I see them winning 6 or 7 games.

• Members

Actually...

15 of those 39 points were the result of blown calls by the officials. But in my previous post I didn't mention the first quarter "interception" that couldn't be overruled because the Denver local in charge of setting up the on-field replay booth couldn't make it work when needed. This resulted in a first down for the Donks at the Chargers' 29, led to their first TD of the game a few plays later, and got the crowd involved early (later in the half PR had to take a delay penalty because the Denver crowd was so loud). I don't care which NFL team we're discussing, when you give a home team two extra possessions within easy field goal range it's gonna be tough for the road team to recover. It wasn't the Bolts D that gave the Donks these possessions, it was the officials.

Granted, Cro was getting burned all day by Marshall, which will hopefully shut him up about getting 16 INT's and get him to focus on just making plays, and the Bolts' pass rush was almost non-existent (they really miss Merriman, I think). But the Chargers' D was also suspect in 2006 when PR led comebacks on the road against Cincy (down by 21 at half, won 49-41) and Denver (down 24-7, won 35-27). Either of those games could have ended differently had an official negated even one Charger possession, much less two. The Bolts made the plays they had to to win yesterday, and the D held Denver to 0 pts in the second half and took the ball away twice in the fourth quarter. But the officials negated the game deciding turnover. Even Ed Hoculi and Jay Cutler agree that's what happened.

That's not taking into account the TD that they gave SD when the receiver didn't have possession of the ball and Denver slept on it and didn't challenge the call.

It's not taking into account a big 3rd down conversion that SD got that led to a TD on a BS interference call either.

San Diego just plain couldn't stop Cutler. 350 yards and 4 TD's.

You could microanalyse the game to death, and Denver got a big call at a crucial time (and yes, it was a bad call), but they still won the game.

/thread

• Members

Football is an intrinsically inferior game to baseball.

For references, please see above posts. ;)

I'll admit it's entertaining to watch large humans crash into each other, but the game itself is way too subject to factors that have nothing to with the abilities of the participants. They change the rules every year, as well as the enforcement of said rules. :facepalm:

• Members

For references, please see above posts.
;)

I'll admit it's entertaining to watch large humans crash into each other, but the game itself is way too subject to factors that have nothing to with the abilities of the participants. They change the rules every year, as well as the enforcement of said rules.
:facepalm:

Too bad it's still boring as hell to watch. :wave:

I'll take a little ref drama over a 4 hour snoozefest.

• Members

What is Al Davis doing? Kiffin might get canned? Davis is really putting the hurt on that franchise at this point, IMHO.

I don't think that Kiffin does the whole politics thing too well yet, probably a product of his age. He's distanced himself several times from Rob Ryan, the D Coordinator, claiming that he has no control over how the D performs. I read that he fired Ryan last year and Davis told Kiffin that he didn't have the authority to make that call. Ryan's still there. Kiffin also talked to the press about his frustrations in Davis's slow decision making when they were cutting the roster. Sounded like there were a lot of players who Kiffin wanted to pick up but he wasn't allowed to because Davis hadn't released anyone. Seems like it's a frustrating situation for both Kiffin and Davis, and, as much as it's fashionable to point the finger at Davis, I can't say that Kiffin's been the ideal employee. IMO, that's what Davis gets when he hires such a young inexperienced coach to run things.

As it sits, the Raiders have the #2 rushing attack in the NFL and a young and very gifted QB in Russell. Seeing what Kiffin was able to do with Leinart at USC makes me really hope that Davis and Kiffin can sit down over a steak and work all of this out, it's going to take Kiffin getting used to saying "Yes sir" a whole lot though.

• Members

To t3ch and In Absentia - Bite me.

VT and USC are the only 2 teams in D1-A that have 10+ wins in each of the last 4 seasons, and if you'll notice, their only loss this season came to a team that DESTROYED WVU. With a win vs UNC this week, we'll be sitting all alone on top of the ACC Coastal Division, right on track to head to a second ACC Championship in a row.

• Members

To t3ch and In Absentia - Bite me.

VT and USC are the only 2 teams in D1-A that have 10+ wins in each of the last 4 seasons, and if you'll notice, their only loss this season came to a team that DESTROYED WVU. With a win vs UNC this week, we'll be sitting all alone on top of the ACC Coastal Division, right on track to head to a second ACC Championship in a row.

That's fine... :confused:

I don't care about any college football team; whether it's liking or disliking. I was just pointing out I'm not associated with VT in any way :idk:

I'm still willing to bite though!

• Moderators

For references, please see above posts.
;)

I'll admit it's entertaining to watch large humans crash into each other, but the game itself is way too subject to factors that have nothing to with the abilities of the participants. They change the rules every year, as well as the enforcement of said rules.
:facepalm:

Is that why baseball just changed the rules and instituted instant replay for Home Runs smack dab in the middle of a season? That's not a rule change? :poke: :lol:

• Members
Is that why baseball just changed the rules and instituted instant replay for Home Runs smack dab in the middle of a season? That's not a rule change? :poke:
:lol:

:poke:
in baseballs defense,
they planned on instituting it a while ago, but settled on the post season of 2008(which i guess is still during the season), they started it early to work out the kinks so every1 knew the system and was aquianted(sp?) with it before the playoffs

• Moderators

:poke:

in baseballs defense,

they planned on instituting it a while ago, but settled on the post season of 2008(which i guess is still during the season), they started it early to work out the kinks so every1 knew the system and was aquianted(sp?) with it before the playoffs

Baseball doesn't need defending. It's a great sport. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite, but to claim that football sucks donkey nuts because the competition committee tries tweaks every year to make the game better (read as more advertiser's money friendly) and that is different from baseball somehow isn't really a claim that can be backed up. From MLB.com these are some changes that took effect in 2007-

"

• Members
Hate to tell you this, but that wasn't a for sure overturn.

Agreed.

They agree about what happened. What happened was also decided properly by the rulebook. I know it sucks to be a Chargers fan. You're 0-2, but look at the defense. There are plenty of moments within each game that are just as critical as blaming an official for a loss. Maybe Cromartie could have actually provided some coverage instead of stealing his paycheck for a week.

Agreed 100%. Look at the defense - if you can find it between all those holes. :D

Chargers are going to have to face adversity and mature as a team if they want to go to the big dance and win it. If they let this game drag them down, they don't deserve to win the big one. And that's the only goal they should be playing for, imo.

They lost to NE in the 2006 playoffs because of their immaturity and lack of poise.

I think they'll man up, leave this game behind, and move on. They better, because there's 14 games left and they have a lot of work to do.

• Moderators
Either the Chargers will fix their horrible pass D (did they put ANY pressure on Cutler?), or they don't and get lit up for another 14 games.
:idk:

How is it that this defense is that bad all of a sudden? Merriman didn't make the whole thing go, did he? I was even happy that I got SD as a defense in FF. I'm glad I started a different unit on Sunday.

• Members

How is it that this defense is that bad all of a sudden? Merriman didn't make the whole thing go, did he? I was even happy that I got SD as a defense in FF. I'm glad I started a different unit on Sunday.

To be honest, I think the whole Chargers Defense was over-hyped. Merriman was a good player, but he was better when he was abusing the substances. Our DB's were pretty decent, but they have a good habit of blowing it hard every now and then or get a ridiculous amount of penalties called on them.

• Members

Norv Turner + Ted Cottrell. I've always felt that, under them, the Chargers will be a good team. Not a great one, but a good one.

• Members
Hey, Jugghaid, I know someone who needs a date and a steak dinner:

nfl_u_hochuli_400.jpg

:D

From what they said on the news, he might need a job. :eek:

Personally I think that's ridiculous. he made a mistake, blew the whistle early, but admitted his error and explained how he had to rule based on the rulebook.

Incidentally, I lost a LOT of respect for LT after watching the news last night. Whining about how his wife was crying after the game. I'm sure she's not crying about the $5 million a year her hubby is getting paid to not play with a stubbed toe. ;)

Also, FWIW, I think the Chargers will be right in the mix. They are a better defense than they showed on Sunday. Same with Denver. And they both proved they have very potent offenses.

• Members

I feel beter today. Time heals, etc...

I think many Chargers fans are starting to question LT's gumption. We remember last year's 60 Minutes piece during which he almost started crying at the thought of becoming injured. We remember his self-removal from the AFC Championship game and the accompanying self-pity, while Rivers played with a torn knee ligament. Now we see his big toe hurt and last year's third string RB doing the heavy lifting in crunch time on Sunday.

LT has been great his entire career, and we have loved watching him and cheering him on. He's also been wonderful in the community, and has never seemed to get too full of himself. But we want more for LT, and ourselves, than to be able to say we watched one the of the best to never win a championship, a la Alworth, Fouts, Joiner, Winslow, Seau, Gwynn and Hoffman.

• Members

From what they said on the news, he might need a job.
:eek:

Personally I think that's ridiculous. he made a mistake, blew the whistle early, but admitted his error and explained how he had to rule based on the rulebook.

Incidentally, I lost a LOT of respect for LT after watching the news last night. Whining about how his wife was crying after the game. I'm sure she's not crying about the $5 million a year her hubby is getting paid to not play with a stubbed toe.
;)

Also, FWIW, I think the Chargers will be right in the mix. They are a better defense than they showed on Sunday. Same with Denver. And they both proved they have very potent offenses.

Ed blew the call and admitted his mistake, as posted above. As pissed off as I was after the game and (somewhat) yesterday, I am looking forward to next week vs the Jets.

LT doesn't appear to be able to play with pain. I say "appear" because I don't know what kind of pain he is in nor what his thought process is. Sproles is a more than adequate substitute...

Defense??? WTF! Did we sack Cutler even once?

Oh well, MNF next week against the legend...

• Members
Did Norv leave you at the altar? He seems to have a special place in your heart.

I think he deserves some respect after last year, but I don't care. Keep talkin'.
:thu:

He's just one of many coaches who boggle my mind with the fact owners continue to give them money...I just think it's hilarious that San Diego fans actually talked him up when he came to town. As if he hadn't failed miserably in every other season before coming there.

And last year? He took a team that finished 14-2 the year before and went 11-5 with them...Pretty {censored}ing awesome! :thu:

And even better, it was the second double digit win season in his 10 years as a head coach, so he's got some momentum now! :D

The only thing he was able to do that the previous coach didn't was win a playoff game...However, considering the previous coach has the worst playoff record of any coach since the merger (and the worst ever with more than 10 total games), that ain't saying much :p

However, I hope he stays in San Diego a long time. They're a good team, so they should give him many opportunities to make bad decisions and thus provide endless instances of the "Norv Turner Face"...With both Mannings having rings now, the Manning Face is getting less frequent, so we need Turner to pick up the slack...

• Members
He's just one of many coaches who boggle my mind with the fact owners continue to give them money...I just think it's hilarious that San Diego fans actually talked him up when he came to town. As if he hadn't failed miserably in every other season before coming there.

And last year? He took a team that finished 14-2 the year before and went 11-5 with them...Pretty {censored}ing awesome!
:thu:

And even better, it was the second double digit win season in his 10 years as a head coach, so he's got some momentum now!
:D

The only thing he was able to do that the previous coach didn't was win a playoff game...However, considering the previous coach has the worst playoff record of any coach since the merger (and the worst ever with more than 10 total games), that ain't saying much
:p

However, I hope he stays in San Diego a long time. They're a good team, so they should give him many opportunities to make bad decisions and thus provide endless instances of the "Norv Turner Face"...With both Mannings having rings now, the Manning Face is getting less frequent, so we need Turner to pick up the slack...

I'd talk the same {censored}, but the Chargers have pretty much pwn3d the Broncos since Shottenheimer left town.:D
C7

Archived