Ibanez GSR100EX: my vote for 'Cream of the Crap'

mabus013

• Members

So I just got one of these babies, and I'm rather pleased. FYI, here's the bass I'm talking about:

48934.jpg

I have to say, everything I need, nothing I don't, and 180 out the door at a local shop. Mahogany body, Ibanez's newish PPD4 humbucker pickup, passive electronics. Big, bad tone on the mother, though, and it has a good feel. The nice natural finish even gets rid of the amoebic goofiness I usually associate with the SR/GSR line.

The mahogany body has that sledgehammer meets old furniture solidity that I like in my Gibson guitar, and it has nice warmth and grind to it. Good output from the humbucker, no real need for actives in my book and no batteries to worry about.

Kind of makes you wonder about plopping the moolah down on an MIM, unless you're absolutely locked into that 'gotta have a P or J' thing. Made in China, and I could care less - the only flaw I found was a little excess glue seeping out from one of the frets, which affects the tone and playability not at all. No dead spots, no problems with tuning. And it has a very tidy, tight neck to body tolerance which Fender just doesn't seem to give much of a {censored} about. And I got to play a USA P bass recently and just wasn't that impressed - it was cool and all, but ironically I'd say the sound was less refined than this bass at a quarter of the price - it was big and warm, but not this big, and I have enough highs here to actually justify having a tone knob.

Like I said: my vote for 'Cream of the Crap'. I was going to save up an extra hundred for the Epi LP Special they have out now but the single cutaway is a minor impediment on slapping when I choose to, plus it doesn't really sound much bigger (although I'm still probably going to pick one up eventually, since I've always loved the idea of a Les Paul bass and they look {censored}ing cool).

I should have it home in a week or so, definitely in plenty of time for my band's Halloween gig. Beats out the Yamaha I've been playing, which is more suited to funk and studio work where it doesn't matter what it looks like ;).

Anyone else want to share their cheap-assed wonder?

• Members

I rather thought so. A little better than this amoebic little number:

RBX170-2.jpg

The Yamaha plays good, but I'm just not down with the image, and I'm not enamored with the pickups. I think they're set up with funk in mind - too much high end unless you roll the tone back, and that's with the P pickup solo'd. Dialed in, it sounds all right, but it's borrowed and to me, feels that way.

Here I am on stage at the Willow Ranch Music Festival a few weeks ago with the Yamaha:

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=

• Members

I just got this bass home, and I have to say, it slays. It's powerful, responsive, sounds huge, and it's very well equipped - about the only complaint I have is that the pickup doesn't come with four conductor wiring, but now I can tell my bandleader 'sorry, nothing I can do'. :D

The bridge plate is at least twice as thick as your typical Fender/vintage type unit, and comes with modern style saddles. Ibanez has a patent on the design, and I can see why.

This thing really walked all over the Yamaha RBX in terms of sound - honestly, it's not even close to being a fair fight. The Ibanez even made my dinky Fender practice amp sound remarkably decent, especially in comparison to the Yamaha with both plugged straight in. The Yamaha was way behind in terms of output, and while the Ibanez had good presence, it didn't have the 'clacky' feel of the Yamaha's pickups.

I'm very impressed in this bass. I was jonesing for a BTB - I've really dug them since they first came out, but I think this bass is equal or better in the four string realm. The BTB would have the advantage in terms of detuning below D or in a five string shootout with the 35" scale, but that's not my bag right now.

I don't know if it'll replace the P Bass for the traditionalist, but this thing has to be the best thing around for more aggressive styles of music - does that really cool Pantera/White Zombie kind of sound, but doesn't take away from it's ability to play other styles. I'm surprised that this combo - stingray type pickup, mahogany body, angled headstock, and heavy bridge - isn't available elsewhere, even for more than the paltry 180 bucks out the door I paid.

I can't wait until my next gig...

• Members

So I just got one of these babies, and I'm rather pleased. FYI, here's the bass I'm talking about:

48934.jpg

I have to say, everything I need, nothing I don't, and 180 out the door at a local shop. Mahogany body, Ibanez's newish PPD4 humbucker pickup, passive electronics. Big, bad tone on the mother, though, and it has a good feel. The nice natural finish even gets rid of the amoebic goofiness I usually associate with the SR/GSR line.

The mahogany body has that sledgehammer meets old furniture solidity that I like in my Gibson guitar, and it has nice warmth and grind to it. Good output from the humbucker, no real need for actives in my book and no batteries to worry about.

Kind of makes you wonder about plopping the moolah down on an MIM, unless you're absolutely locked into that 'gotta have a P or J' thing. Made in China, and I could care less - the only flaw I found was a little excess glue seeping out from one of the frets, which affects the tone and playability not at all. No dead spots, no problems with tuning. And it has a very tidy, tight neck to body tolerance which Fender just doesn't seem to give much of a {censored} about. And I got to play a USA P bass recently and just wasn't that impressed - it was cool and all, but ironically I'd say the sound was less refined than this bass at a quarter of the price - it was big and warm, but not this big, and I have enough highs here to actually justify having a tone knob.

Like I said: my vote for 'Cream of the Crap'. I was going to save up an extra hundred for the Epi LP Special they have out now but the single cutaway is a minor impediment on slapping when I choose to, plus it doesn't really sound much bigger (although I'm still probably going to pick one up eventually, since I've always loved the idea of a Les Paul bass and they look {censored}ing cool).

I should have it home in a week or so, definitely in plenty of time for my band's Halloween gig. Beats out the Yamaha I've been playing, which is more suited to funk and studio work where it doesn't matter what it looks like
;)

Anyone else want to share their cheap-assed wonder?

Well ! now that someone else did it I have License! I was thinking of buying that very bass ! Glad you like it !:love:

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I have three Ibanez basses...

mygear.jpg
The black one is a GSR-100 P bass

i have that same bass in a lefty which i got as a gift and i gotta say that with a little tweaking and a fresh set of dr hibeams, it kicks a lot of ass. one of the best cheap basses out there.

Archived