OT: Allright, who's had their tonsils out?

Svi

• Members

Okay, here goes. One thing - generally, little kids bounce back from tonsillectomies fairly easily. They'll have them taken out and they'll be playing around like nothing happened the next day. Once you're past puberty though, the surgery can be a big deal.

I had chronic strep throat as a kid - more times than I can count. The doctors never wanted to take them out though. Well, after all that infection my tonsils were permanently enlarged and pitted. They looked pretty gross, smelled bad, and most importantly affected my posture and ability to breathe. They finally came out (along with my adenoids) a week before I turned 15.

The surgery itself went fine. The doctor said my tonsils basically fell apart under the scalpel, like they were rotted. The problem was the recovery. When I woke up in the recovery room, it was like my throat was on fire. Swallowing was agonizing, and for a week after it felt like I was swallowing a fistful of razorblades. I could barely talk because it hurt so much, and my voice was a hoarse whisper.

I finally began to notice a smidge of improvement about 10 days after the surgery. Unfortunately, two weeks to the day after the surgery was the finally blow. I went to bed that night, and just before I fell asleep I felt something wet in my mouth, almost like my body was producing too much saliva. I put my finger on my teeth and looked at it in the dim light of the bedroom, noticing that it was dark. Obviously, it wasn't spit. I got up and walked out into the living room and began spitting out the blood that was filling my mouth into an empty margarine container. My mom heard the commotion and got up too.

They tell you that when the scabs come of, you should drink some ice water. I did that - drank a ton of it, but kept on bleeding. My mom got so scared that she called my doctor at 3 o'clock in the morning. He told her to have me drink more ice water. I bled and bled and bled until I was white as a sheet. My lips were the same color as the rest of my face.

I finally got really nauseous because of the blood draining down the back of my throat. Even though I was constantly spitting it out, enough must've drained into my stomach to fill it up. I went to the bathroom and threw up an astounding volume of blood. By this time my dad was up too, and when he saw me hurl blood he almost passed out (my mom had to catch him before he tipped over). The previously clear toilet water turned dark purple.

It was one of the strangest feelings I'd ever felt. When I walked back to bed, it was like I was floating. I fell asleep within minutes. I slept until about 11 o'clock and went back to school for the last half of the day.

The day after that, I went to the hospital where they drew a vial of blood and did some other tests. When the results came back, my hemoglobin level was 7. Seven. They said it's normally supposed to be around 14. They told me that had they known how much blood I'd lost that night, they would've sent an ambulance and brought me in for transfusions. They also said that I shouldn't have been conscious, and that I could have died.

That's my story. Lots of enduring pain, and almost bleeding to death. Not fun.

But you're fine after that, correct?

• Members

Odd. I had them out when I was 8.

I've had a "common cold" probably 5 times (granted that's 5 times in 25 years, so it's pretty out-of-control!!!)

Never pneumonia. No bronchitis. People are different.
:p

+1 Had mine out at 18. I used to get strep and tonsillitis at least once a year when I was a kid. Since I had them out I get a minor cold maybe once every 2/3 years and I haven't had a sore throat.

• Members

Well this is good. Because all I've heard is the bad. Glad most of you had a decent experience. I'm having it done on Friday. I've considered canceling because I'm chicken {censored} but I know the next time I have a sore throat I'll be mad I didn't do it. J. really sorry about your experience!

• Members

Well this is good. Because all I've heard is the bad. Glad most of you had a decent experience. I'm having it done on Friday. I've considered canceling because I'm chicken {censored} but I know the next time I have a sore throat I'll be mad I didn't do it. J. really sorry about your experience!

Honestly, even hearing all these bad experiences still makes getting them removed sound pretty damn good. I would rather cough/puke up blood for a few days and be done with rather than be miserable for a month every year for the rest of my life.

I'd be more concerned with long term effects, which no one has really mentioned yet...

• Members

Okay, here goes. ....SNIP...

I had a laser uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (LUPPP) done some 4+ years ago because of sleep apnea. During that procedure the soft palate is removed (along with the dangling thingy in the back of the mouth) as well as the toncils and whatnot. The operation was performed under anaesthesia.

Immediately after I woke up the first thing I noticed was that my lower lip was very sore. I reasoned they must have had my lip pinched between my lower front teeth and the instrument that keeps the mouth wide open during the operation. My teeth had sunk deep into the flesh of my lip and it hurt like hell.

Second thing I noticed was the throat pain from hell. Swallowing was a no-no, even though I was thirsty as hell and my tongue felt like dry steel wool. The nurse said I'd get me some ice cream as soon as I got back to my room, but the other nurse at my room denied me anything at all. Bitch.

The day after the surgery I was sent home with a prescription of co-codamol (Tylenol) and instructions of taking no more than 8 tablets a day. :rolleyes: {censored} yeah. I had to take two tablets (the kind you put in water and they fizz) every three hours just to be able to breathe. The pain was HELL. That's 16 tablets a day. Day AND night. I had to set my alarm clock to wake me every 3 hours to take them mother{censored}ers. If I missed by a mere half an hour, {censored} did hit the fan. Swallowing the medicine was pure pain, even if I didn't have to take the tablets whole.

This {censored} continued for a good nightmarish week. I couldn't eat much more than a few spoons of ice cream an some ice cold yoghurt. I was starting to have dreams of juicy steaks and I woke up with a gluttony-hard-on as my {censored}ing alarm clock went off.

After about a week I sneezed once. The following bleeding experience was somewhat the same as J.'s. I went to the hospital after having bled and vomited, what they estimated was, a good quarter of my blood supply. When I got there, I collapsed on the exam table. They took me in for emergency surgery at once. There the bleeding blood vessel was closed. I also received about two litres of saline solution I.V. They didn't give me any blood because my hemoglobin is naturally very high (i mean VERY high) and I could thus 'afford' to lose up to half my blood supply, but they gave me the fluid to keep my blood(and water) pressure up.

After that second surgery, the {censored}ing painful healing process started all over again! :mad:

Some two and a half weeks after that, I could swallow my first piece of a ham sammich! Heaven! Glad there's nothing more in my throat that has to come out. The post-op pain from LUPPP beats the crap out of my back pain any day. And my back's been operated on twice. Damn good I didn't get hooked on those drugs as well.

Edit: But the surgery did cure my sleep apnea. I'm a much better person now that I'm not dead tired and pissed off all the time.

Edit2: Don't chicken out Svi. You'll be fine. After all, my procedure was a bit bigger than yours will be.

• Members

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Yeah, I'm fine after I healed up. It just took a lot longer and it was more hellish than I was told. Keep in mind, I'm in the minority. Most tonsillectomies go a lot more smoothly than mine did.

I've heard that doctors are shying away from them nowadays, whereas 20 years ago they were more routine. Tonsils absorb infection, and there's some idea that they shouldn't be removed unless absolutely necessary, since they help prevent people from getting sick.

• Members

If you're considering it, stop right now.

More than one doc & dentist has recommended my tonsils come out. I had tonsilitis a few times in my youth, and they are permanently swollen and perforated. Keeping them clean is a task I have to do when brushing my teeth.

But I do it.

Why???

Because I never get chest infections! Tonsils exist to protect the chest. I'm willing to live with having to be conscious of keeping them clean; the tradeoff is well worth it.

Severe strep throat can lead to rheumatic heart disease or arthritis. If your tonsils are to the point where they are not helping, doctors usually suggest removing them. Remember the old Cosby skit, "Well, your tonsils have gone over to the other side." Tonsillectomy is usually not the first treatment. Before mine were removed as a teenager, every year I got multiple sore and strep throats. The doctor prescribed every antibiotic in various combinations and nothing helped, year after year. Finally he said enough is enough, and ordered the tonsillectomy. Now I only get a sore throat every 3-5 years, and even then it's not as bad as it was before.

• Members

Best of luck...

- georgestrings

• Members

Yes, another OT post from me. I apologize.

Who's had their tonsils taken out?????

Give me the horror stories.

got mine out when I was 19, i was getting strep throat many times a year, nurse said that I had the biggest tonsils she had ever seen. A week and a half later i pick up a 100 pound bass cabinet ( wasnt supposed to lift heavy stuff ). I start bleeding and go in for emergency surgary.

• Members

I was 28 years old.

Went in, they took 'em out, and my ears got infected. Swallowing was painful for a day or two, but my ears left me dizzy - could hardly sit up without tipping over. Once the ears got better, everything was fine.

Played league softball four days after surgery. No problems. They cauterized when they cut.

• Members
got mine out when I was 19, i was getting strep throat many times a year, nurse said that I had the biggest tonsils she had ever seen. A week and a half later i pick up a 100 pound bass cabinet ( wasnt supposed to lift heavy stuff ). I start bleeding and go in for emergency
surgary

Emergency sugar? :D

Sorry I couldn't resist the joke. Your experience sounds painful.

• Members
Okay, here goes. One thing - generally, little kids bounce back from tonsillectomies fairly easily. They'll have them taken out and they'll be playing around like nothing happened the next day. Once you're past puberty though, the surgery can be a big deal.

I had chronic strep throat as a kid - more times than I can count. The doctors never wanted to take them out though. Well, after all that infection my tonsils were permanently enlarged and pitted. They looked pretty gross, smelled bad, and most importantly affected my posture and ability to breathe. They finally came out (along with my adenoids) a week before I turned 15.

The surgery itself went fine. The doctor said my tonsils basically fell apart under the scalpel, like they were rotted. The problem was the recovery. When I woke up in the recovery room, it was like my throat was on fire. Swallowing was agonizing, and for a week after it felt like I was swallowing a fistful of razorblades. I could barely talk because it hurt so much, and my voice was a hoarse whisper.

I finally began to notice a smidge of improvement about 10 days after the surgery. Unfortunately, two weeks to the day after the surgery was the finally blow. I went to bed that night, and just before I fell asleep I felt something wet in my mouth, almost like my body was producing too much saliva. I put my finger on my teeth and looked at it in the dim light of the bedroom, noticing that it was dark. Obviously, it wasn't spit. I got up and walked out into the living room and began spitting out the blood that was filling my mouth into an empty margarine container. My mom heard the commotion and got up too.

They tell you that when the scabs come of, you should drink some ice water. I did that - drank a ton of it, but kept on bleeding. My mom got so scared that she called my doctor at 3 o'clock in the morning. He told her to have me drink more ice water. I bled and bled and bled until I was white as a sheet. My lips were the same color as the rest of my face.

I finally got really nauseous because of the blood draining down the back of my throat. Even though I was constantly spitting it out, enough must've drained into my stomach to fill it up. I went to the bathroom and threw up an astounding volume of blood. By this time my dad was up too, and when he saw me hurl blood he almost passed out (my mom had to catch him before he tipped over). The previously clear toilet water turned dark purple.

It was one of the strangest feelings I'd ever felt. When I walked back to bed, it was like I was floating. I fell asleep within minutes. I slept until about 11 o'clock and went back to school for the last half of the day.

The day after that, I went to the hospital where they drew a vial of blood and did some other tests. When the results came back, my hemoglobin level was 7. Seven. They said it's normally supposed to be around 14. They told me that had they known how much blood I'd lost that night, they would've sent an ambulance and brought me in for transfusions. They also said that I shouldn't have been conscious, and that I could have died.

That's my story. Lots of enduring pain, and almost bleeding to death. Not fun.

great story, can't wait for the film version :p

• Members

got mine out when I was 19, i was getting strep throat many times a year, nurse said that I had the biggest tonsils she had ever seen. A week and a half later i pick up a 100 pound bass cabinet ( wasn't supposed to lift heavy stuff ). I start bleeding and go in for emergency surgery.

What type of surgery did they have to do?

• Members

Good luck. I hope it goes smoothly.

Archived