Attention SW Ohio! Official Appocalypse Dress Rehearsal Run-thru Continues!

JacieFB

• Members

Friends! It's been a crazy couple of days. Sunday afternoon wind storms knocked the power out and knocked down a big tree in the back yard. I'll post pics as soon as my wife gets back with the camera. I spent all of yesterday chopping up the tree for firewood. I went in to work today, only to be warned that area-gas stations are running out of gas. I came home at lunch to find that none of the 5 stations on my way home had any gas left. I have just enough gas in my tank to get to one of those stations when I know for sure that they have some.

Still lots of folks in town with no power. We are also being told to conserve water. :eek:

We badly need groceries. I did get the fence patched up and we've got enough firewood to keep us warm till doomsday....

[YOUTUBE]iemaZ2L5u2Y[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

They said it could be as late as Sunday before they get 100% of all Duke Energy customers back up. Aparently, they had sent a lot of their workers to Houston to help out down there. They are on their way back today, from what the local NPR station says.

Our power went out at 2:30pm on Sunday and came back on at 7:35am on Monday.

• Members

More thoughts on the end of days:

So, I'm thinking that when we get to the point where the earth is running out of gas. Perhaps that's an "if" in some minds, perhaps it's a "when"; that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking the hypothetical situation here. It's not going to be good. It's gonna get rough. It's gonna get violent. My point in all this:

Yesterday, and to a lesser extent today, gas stations in my area are running out of gas. Okay, it's a problem, we should know what to do, right? Nope. We don't. Traffic was HORRENDOUS! I couldn't believe how much heavier traffic was in my area. Normal arteries that never back up had traffic backed up for miles. It doesn't make sense to me. People just sitting there wasting gas. I went out for a run and saw a big truck just sitting there idling on a back street...no one making any move to drive it, nothing. :confused: Meanwhile, I have exactly enough gas to get me from my house to the nearest gas station. I can't buy gas there because they've run out. I had tried earlier in the day to get gas, but all 4 stations on my way home had run out.

What will it take to change people's behavior? Why do folks feel that gas is an entitlement? I just don't see it that way.

In other news: I did manage to get some gas. While on my run, I saw a guy carrying a gas can. I asked him where he got gas. The wife got home with the Celica and we grabbed the 5 gallon can and headed up there. We topped off the Celica and filled the can. We got home and I put that gas in my car (A Dodge Durango :( which I can't afford to trade right now). We hopped in the Durango and headed back to the station. By the time we got there, they had run out of gas. :facepalm:

I biked to work today partly just to take myself out of the equation and because I don't want to pay $4.19/gal to fill up my car the rest of the way. Is anyone really reacting to higher gas prices? Is anyone really reacting to the possibility that gas may not be limitless, even in our lifetimes?

• Members

It's been pretty crazy here. The Cincinnati schools are still closed.

I had some fairly signicant roof damage - about 10% of my shingles are either gone or messed up + some aluminum trim came unglued. Total suck - my deductible is 1K and that's probably close the damage I have, with no cash on hand to do repairs. :mad::facepalm:

I'd be willing to pay someone to come over and shoot me so my wife could collect some insurance $$. :wave:

• Members

It's been pretty crazy here. The Cincinnati schools are still closed.

I had some fairly signicant roof damage - about 10% of my shingles are either gone or messed up + some aluminum trim came unglued. Total suck - my deductible is 1K and that's probably close the damage I have, with no cash on hand to do repairs.
:mad::facepalm:

I'd be willing to pay someone to come over and shoot me so my wife could collect some insurance $$.
:wave:

Bummer, man. I'm glad you're okay.

I've got the 1k deductable, too. I figured it was just me versus the tree, so no sense making a claim. It would have likely been around a grand to get the fence fixed and the tree chopped up.

I currently have "Evolution In Action" at the house behind/beside ours. The guy was outside trying to chainsaw up a big tree that fell in his yard on Sunday with the wind still howling. :facepalm: Then his kid decided to climb up the giant elm tree that was broken and leaning over to the ground...again, in the howling wind storm. :facepalm: He finally got back at it yesterday evening. I overheard him talking about getting his truck back there to drag the tree trunks. When he brings that elm down, he has to be somewhat careful, else he'll bring down the rest of the osage orange tree onto my fence. :mad: I fully expect to have that happen. My wife said she's cautiously optomistic. :D

Sorry I missed your show a couple of weeks ago, BTW. I ended up having a tryout that night. :eek:

• Members

Auditioning for the Chippendales?
:confused:

Everybody missed that show - we got rained out. It stormed like crazy during our time slot, then cleared up for the ball game.
:p

Oh yeah, I remember the rain, now. It was nasty weather when I was trying to load my gear. By gear, I mean everything I could have possibly needed for a Chippendales Tryout. :o

Do you have power yet?

• Members

I'm out of town, but I heard it was pretty bad. Glad to hear that all (?) of HCBF is intact.

This is the first time I've heard about a real gas shortage. Any news on that improving?

The problem wasn't so much a gas shortage as lack of power to pump it, which meant far fewer stations.

There are still close to 200,000 folks here with no power 5 days later. :eek:

Two blocks from my house there's a street closed with a power pole and transformer laying in the middle of the street, and wires hangin' all over the place. It's a fuggin' mess. :facepalm:

• Members

Live in south Dayton, make the drive to and from Cincinnati for work everyday.

Things are getting better, although we still don't have power at our house. Hooked up a generator to the fuse box so some electricity is getting in. Easier to find gas, although the prices have shot up (imagine that!)

Thing that gets me the most is--Dayton Power & Light can't give ANY reasonable estimate to when any of us are getting power back. You'd think after 5 days, they'd have a better handle on the situation than they do, but all we ever hear is "could be today, could be the end of the weekend." Hard to plan like that.

Overall, not as bad as the hurricanes I went through in Florida and the Gulf Coast. Actually, it's kind of humorous listening to some of the people complain like it WAS a Gulf Coast hurricane situation they went through.

• Members

Live in south Dayton, make the drive to and from Cincinnati for work everyday.

Things are getting better, although we still don't have power at our house. Hooked up a generator to the fuse box so some electricity is getting in. Easier to find gas, although the prices have shot up (imagine that!)

Thing that gets me the most is--Dayton Power & Light can't give ANY reasonable estimate to when any of us are getting power back. You'd think after 5 days, they'd have a better handle on the situation than they do, but all we ever hear is "could be today, could be the end of the weekend." Hard to plan like that.

Overall, not as bad as the hurricanes I went through in Florida and the Gulf Coast. Actually, it's kind of humorous listening to some of the people complain like it WAS a Gulf Coast hurricane situation they went through.

Well, it WAS the worst sustained high wind I've experienced in the 30 years I've been here. It totally lunched the electrical infrastructure - I saw on the news last night they were actually having to build a road through a bog to get to a downed line. When you live in a part of the country that usually doesn't have to deal with this sort of thing, people get a little crazy.

• Members

Looks like it may be the middle of next week before everyone gets power again. It's hard to imagine that, as I was only out for 15 hours or so. My aunt and uncle out in Clermont Co still are without. My wife's co-workers who live in Wyoming and Pleasant Ridge are still without.

Hang in there, wordsmith4u!

• Members

I've got some relatives who were told they would have power on Sunday.
:eek:

As Bob alluded, this type of thing doesn't happen in Cincinnati.

It's funny. I always heard that at the end of the world, Cincinnati would be the place to be, as we wouldn't hear about it for 10 years or so. Especially with regards to pop music, I believed it. With regards to infrastructure and petrolium dependence, I'm starting to think that Armageddon may start here.

Archived