The Pile on John McCain thread

ThudMaker

• Members
You mean because mental capacity and physical ability can be legitimately effected?
:idea:

HOW DARE YOU!
:mad:

But not really in this particular case. Ever seen McCain's mom? She's is sharper than most of Congress. :D

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So it would be okay to conclude that Obama is too young and inexperienced to be president?

in discussing the physical capacity to do the job? if he was less than 20 years removed from wearing diapers, yes....

• Moderators

During the debate, he forwarded the idea of the government buying up all the bad mortgages in the country at an estimated cost of $300 billion, then helping the owners refinance their houses based on the new, often depreciated value. I mean, c'mon. What kind of BS is that?

It's not an additional $300 billion. Read the bailout bill. The treasury secretary is not free to use $700 billion. He gets up to $250 billion and can request another $100 billion. Beyond that $350 billion is left to the discretion of Congress (well, provided Congress has ever had any discretion), and the Treasury Secretary can request some, but Congress has to approve. Otherwise it can be used in other ways. This is McCain's way of using it.

Here's a complaint about him. He's not the best explainer of ideas. For straight talk that's not good.

• Members

in discussing the physical capacity to do the job? if he was less than 20 years removed from wearing diapers, yes....

He has the physical capacity to be a senator. I don't see how being president would require greater physical abilities.

• Members

He has the physical capacity to be a senator. I don't see how being president would require greater physical abilities.

i would say that there is question about his physical capacity, simply because of his age...perhaps you are not old enough to have watched relatives fall apart...

• Members
i would say that there is question about his physical capacity, simply because of his age...perhaps you are not old enough to have watched relatives fall apart...

I'm 43.

Not all people have an expiration date in their 70's.

Perhaps you have never seen people healthy and sharp as a tack well into their 80's. I should introduce you to my mother-in law. 87 and she could probably kick your ass. Literally, and at scrabble. :D

• Moderators
I'm 43.

Perhaps you have never seen people healthy and sharp as a tack well into their 80's. I should introduce you to my mother-in law. 87 and she could probably kick your ass. Literally, and at scrabble.
:D

My Great Grandmother lived to be almost 105. She was sharp as a tack until her late 90's.

• Members
I'm 43.

Perhaps you have never seen people healthy and sharp as a tack well into their 80's. I should introduce you to my mother-in law. 87 and she could probably kick your ass. Literally, and at scrabble.
:D

i believe it...does that PROVE that mccain is not suffering now, or won't be shortly?

im not saying he is, im not saying he isnt...but i am saying it worries me, and people of that age should be held to different standards in these cases...if he is not suffering, why not submit to public testing that would prove it? my grandmother was sharp at 95, my grandfather couldnt remember anything after the first world war when he was 65....

• CMS Author

i believe it...does that PROVE that mccain is not suffering now, or won't be shortly?

im not saying he is, im not saying he isnt...but i am saying it worries me, and people of that age should be held to different standards in these cases...if he is not suffering, why not submit to public testing that would prove it? my grandmother was sharp at 95, my grandfather couldnt remember anything after the first world war when he was 65....

Even though suffering the early effects of Alzheimer's, Reagan was only a few years younger than McCain when he left office, and he was undoubtedly effective at the job.

Doesn't say much for the job....

• Members

No, and it also doesn't prove he IS suffereing now. maybe we should test all political candidates to see if they are going to get sick, or get hit by a bus, or be involved in a plane crash, etc.

Your argument bears no weight. Do you have any valid medical reason to think he can not fulfil his duties? Has he given any reason for you to speculate that he can not (which is all you are doing) by not performin his duties as a senator for the last 2 decades and even presently?

It's a moot point.

he probably has as good or better odds than Obama of surviving a full 4 year term. Hate to say it, but it's true.

• Members

No, and it also doesn't prove he IS suffereing now. maybe we should test all political candidates to see if they are going to get sick, or get hit by a bus, or be involved in a plane crash, etc.

Your argument bears no weight. Do you have any valid medical reason to think he can not fulfil his duties? Has he given any reason for you to speculate that he can not (which is all you are doing) by not performin his duties as a senator for the last 2 decades and even presently?

It's a moot point.

he probably has as good or better odds than Obama of surviving a full 4 year term. Hate to say it, but it's true.

my argument bears plenty of weight...i have not been allowed to know if there is a valid medical reason he cannot perform his duties...thats my point....

i assume you would be happy to have a 72-year old brain surgeon crack you open, or a 72-year old pilot fly your plane for your next vacation...or a 72 year old stockbroker manage your money...

• Moderators
my argument bears plenty of weight...i have not been allowed to know if there is a valid medical reason he cannot perform his duties...thats my point....

i assume you would be happy to have a 72-year old brain surgeon crack you open, or a 72-year old pilot fly your plane for your next vacation...or a 72 year old stockbroker manage your money...

That's why there's a VP. And she kicks butt. I know. That's not good enough for you. You have your "concerns."

• Members

That's why there's a VP. And she kicks butt. I know. That's not good enough for you. You have your "concerns."

besides the point...im not discussing Sen. McCain dying, im talking about impairment of mental faculties...and not suddenly becoming a drooling monkey, but just not being sharp, or gradually slipping...these are valid, and would probably not be enough to trigger succession...

• Moderators
besides the point...im not discussing Sen. McCain dying, im talking about impairment of mental faculties...and not suddenly becoming a drooling monkey, but just not being sharp, or gradually slipping...these are valid, and would probably not be enough to trigger succession...

That's where the "judgment" of putting good people around you comes in. I think McCain is probably smart enough at his age not to put in a cabinet of William Ayers and Jeremiah Wright, don't you?

• Members

also, i know this argument is wasted on diehard 'conservatives', but william buckley and barry goldwater would be horrified of Sarah Palin....that decision makes me question mccain even more...and in interests of disclosure, i voted mccain in the 2000 primaries...

• Members

That's where the "judgment" of putting good people around you comes in. I think McCain is probably smart enough at his age not to put in a cabinet of William Ayers and Jeremiah Wright, don't you?

so why not just have a monkey with a good cabinet..do you think that the presidents intellect matters at all?

Archived