The Pile on John McCain thread

ThudMaker

• Members
Two cases of engine failure, and one case of pilot error. So one case of pilot error is too many?

What's interesting is the explanation of the first incident. The "gauges frozen on impact" is a common and inaccurate fallacy. That simply doesn't happen, especially at the pokey speed of an A-6. The "exhaust showing signs of still being hot"....uhuh...the engine was running until what, ten maybe twenty seconds before hitting the water. Just how fast would it cool? And exhaust smoke is not an indication or proof of the engine making power. I know enough about piston engines to know that none of the evidence mentioned was valid indication that the engine was making power prior to the crash. I'd also love to know how they determined exactly what gauges he was looking at prior to the crash. That part needs a lot more explanation.

He definitely got favored treatment. His dad was an Admiral. It's gonna happen. It still doesn't change that he was a limit-pusher who crashed one plane due to his own error. It also doesn't address that he totally ignored his favored status when it actually mattered.

Swiftboat II!

:D

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My own logical fallacy about John McCain:

In 2000, Republican voters picked George Bush to be their nominee. 7 years later, Bush's approval rating is in the crapper. Now the nominee is John McCain. What has changed in the past 7 years that would make John McCain a good choice now?

The past 2 years of Pelosi and Reid absolutely sucking, and their having the lowest approval rating for Congress in the last 50 years???

- georgestrings

• Moderators

The past 2 years of Pelosi and Reid absolutely sucking, and their having the lowest approval rating for Congress in the last 50 years???

- georgestrings

The problem with this, georgestrings, is that Republicans are seen as having been in control. The great majority of US voters are clueless as to who Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are. While that's a sad statement, it's true. We know that Pelosi never brought that energy policy she campaigned on 2 years ago. We also know that while all parties involved are to blame, the Democrats were the ones who overwhelmingly blocked anything being done to change Freddie/Fannie. Posters and lurkers of HCBF should feel blessed that there is a wealth of information on HCBF. We provide an excellent service for free. Unfortunately, most people aren't interested. They want cliffs notes. The cliffs notes version is that Bush is the President. He's Republican. Therefore Republicans eat babies.

• Members
We are getting off topic, please continue busting on John McCain, a certified US hero please.
:mad:

After watching/listening to a big chunk of the debate last night, I don't really have too much to bust him on. I fundamentally disagree with a few of his policy ideas, but I came away liking the guy.

• Members

So what legislation has Congress passed that you're saying has caused the economy to be where it is today?

I posted this before:

The Gramm-Leach-Bliley act for one.

Essentially it repealed the Glass-Steagal Act (More commonly known as the banking act of 1933) which came about to prevent exactly this type of thing from happening after the banking crash in 1933. It was repealed under the Clinton administration (and GOP congress) and allowed, once again, a bank holding company to own other financial institutions. After about $200 million in lobbyist money, this nightmare passed.

Wiki has a real "scratch the surface" analysis of this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-Steagall_Act

• Members

I wonder if the low approval rating of congress has anything to due with the current state of affairs? Or perhaps the average American, not really knowing who these people are, just lumps all politicians together. So, to the average American, things get bad they blame politicians, congress and senators are politicians so we blame them. I'm not sticking up for Pelosi in any way here, I've just seen you post this type of comment so many times without you referencing anything that perhaps you could provide some source, or poll?

- georgestrings

• Members

The wiki page didn't have any info.. Is this the legislation that prevented normal commercial banks from being investment banks as well? Meaning, in 1933, when it was originally passed, it's intent was to keep the banks from being able to do both so that when a situation like the depression came up again, a bank collapse wouldn't have such a negative effect on such a broad scope of things? And if it is the same legislation i'm thinking of, this allowed commercial banks to be FDIC insured and investment banks not.

I posted this before:

The Gramm-Leach-Bliley act for one.

Essentially it repealed the Glass-Steagal Act (More commonly known as the banking act of 1933) which came about to prevent exactly this type of thing from happening after the banking crash in 1933. It was repealed under the Clinton administration (and GOP congress) and allowed, once again, a bank holding company to own other financial institutions. After about $200 million in lobbyist money, this nightmare passed.

Wiki has a real "scratch the surface" analysis of this here:

• Members
I didn't watch the debate, but my wife did. She said every response from McCain started with an Obama bash.

That's all I have to say about that.

That's accurate for what I saw. I didn't like that, but he feels like he's behind, so that is a strategy. I felt Obama did a good job of shrugging them off. I didn't feel talked down to as a voter. Some politicians have a knack for doing that. His running mate does that, IMO. I'll just stop there before I mention anything about a claw hammer. :mad::o:D

• Members

The wiki page didn't have any info.. Is this the legislation that prevented normal commercial banks from being investment banks as well? Meaning, in 1933, when it was originally passed, it's intent was to keep the banks from being able to do both so that when a situation like the depression came up again, a bank collapse wouldn't have such a negative effect on such a broad scope of things? And if it is the same legislation i'm thinking of, this allowed commercial banks to be FDIC insured and investment banks not.

Sorry, go here. It explains it in detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-Steagall_Act

• Members
After watching/listening to a big chunk of the debate last night, I don't really have too much to bust him on. I fundamentally disagree with a few of his policy ideas, but I came away liking the guy.

WRONG ANSWER! :mad:

• Members

He's way naive about how the average American lives! He can't even operate a frikkin' computer! I'd much rather have someone in the White House who knows first hand on what's going on with the working class and what's going on in the real world! Do we need another 4 (on top of the last 8) years of unmemorable speeches and poor decisions? Bush is an idiot and McCain ain't too far behind, IMO!

The Bush administration literally f**ked up this country! Do you think the McCain administration could fix it?? I mean really?!?!

And Palin?!?!? WTF?!?! Do you really want her in the White House? I'd rate McCain right there with Bush on that decision!

• Members

The problem with this, georgestrings, is that Republicans are seen as having been in control. The great majority of US voters are clueless as to who Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are. While that's a sad statement, it's true. We know that Pelosi never brought that energy policy she campaigned on 2 years ago. We also know that while all parties involved are to blame, the Democrats were the ones who overwhelmingly blocked anything being done to change Freddie/Fannie. Posters and lurkers of HCBF should feel blessed that there is a wealth of information on HCBF. We provide an excellent service for free. Unfortunately, most people aren't interested. They want cliffs notes. The cliffs notes version is that Bush is the President. He's Republican. Therefore Republicans eat babies.

Exactly right on all counts...

- georgestrings

• Members
I'm still struggling to believe that anyone is prepared to elect a man who would be 76 by the end of his term...

So you are fine with ageism? I guess it's the last area it's ok to prjudiced in. Why back in my day we were raised to repect out elders and count on their wise council to ...uh.....oh crap, I soiled my Depends. I'm be right back to give you a good thrashing, young man! :mad:........teeters of using walker to change and get a shot of Geritol to renew energy to continue debate

• Members
Okay, fine, in the spirit of the thread, insert a cane, green skin, and big pointy ears, and McCain would have looked like an
Empire Strikes Back
-era Yoda hobbling around the stage last night. :poke:

.....without the whole "wisdom" thing going for him, Yoda had! :mad:

• Members

I wonder if the low approval rating of congress has anything to due with the current state of affairs? Or perhaps the average American, not really knowing who these people are, just lumps all politicians together. So, to the average American, things get bad they blame politicians, congress and senators are politicians so we blame them. I'm not sticking up for Pelosi in any way here, I've just seen you post this type of comment so many times without you referencing anything that perhaps you could provide some source, or poll?

I'm sure it does - after all, if things were rosy, the approval ratings would certainly be better... Unfortunately, the average American doesn't seem to realize that the Congress has WAY more influence on the direction of the country than the President does - and that the Dems have, in fact had control of both Houses for the last 2 years... Now, *if* they could point out legislation that they submitted to GWB that he has veto'd, they could make a case that he's thwarted their efforts - but they can't do that, because it hasn't happened... I've heard liberals blame GWB for the high cost of gas, but truth is, that cost soared mostly during the last 2 years - that Pelosi and Reid have been running the show that really matters...

Take a look here:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108856/Congressional-Approval-Hits-RecordLow-14.aspx

- georgestrings

• Members
We also know that while all parties involved are to blame, the Democrats were the ones who overwhelmingly blocked anything being done to change Freddie/Fannie.

Sorry if I'm a bit tardy in asking this question, but what real evidence is there of this? I mean, you, Lug, and Palin are the only people I've heard mention the fact that John McCain tried to raise a fuss about this. And Palin glossed over it like it was just a bullet point on her John McCain Mavericism Woo-Hoo Checklist.

I seriously think there is more to it, or else he would be hammering home how he could have saved us all from this crisis. It's sitting right there on a tee, why doesn't he smack it out of the park? While I think he's probably a "good guy", I don't buy for one minute that he wouldn't exploit an obvious chance to sew his opponent's head to the carpet and shovel a bit nice truckload of crap onto the Democrats' side of the aisle. To your very first post in this thread, why hasn't he? I think the answer is something that not a single member of Congress would really want to cop to. Perhaps I have partisan blinders on, but I am not willing to admit that the Democrats are "more" to blame than the Republicans in this matter. Not until I hear it on NPR, that is. :D

• Members
Sorry if I'm a bit tardy in asking this question, but what real evidence is there of this? I mean, you, Lug, and Palin are the only people I've heard mention the fact that John McCain tried to raise a fuss about this. And Palin glossed over it like it was just a bullet point on her John McCain Mavericism Woo-Hoo Checklist.

I seriously think there is more to it, or else he would be hammering home how he could have saved us all from this crisis. It's sitting right there on a tee, why doesn't he smack it out of the park? While I think he's probably a "good guy", I don't buy for one minute that he wouldn't exploit an obvious chance to sew his opponent's head to the carpet and shovel a bit nice truckload of crap onto the Democrats' side of the aisle. To your very first post in this thread, why hasn't he? I think the answer is something that not a single member of Congress would really want to cop to. Perhaps I have partisan blinders on, but I am not willing to admit that the Democrats are "more" to blame than the Republicans in this matter. Not until I hear it on NPR, that is.
:D

long but enlightening...
[YOUTUBE]cMnSp4qEXNM[/YOUTUBE]

These old vids are why good 'ol Barney came out a couple of days age and alledged that anyone questioning the Dems on this was a closet racist.

The bizarre notion that the Community Reinvestment Act . . . somehow is the cause of the whole problem, (conservatives) don

• Members
He's way naive about how the average American lives! He can't even operate a frikkin' computer!

He doesn't use computers because he can't type or operate a mouse. Can't do either of those things because his hands were brutally SHATTERED and left untreated by the NVA to punish him. So yeah, what a dinosaur... :facepalm:

• Moderators

Sorry if I'm a bit tardy in asking this question, but what real evidence is there of this?

Because the Bush Administration as early as 2001 was on Capitol Hill suggesting that Fannie/Freddie were needing some serious oversight? The Treasury Sec prior to Paulson went on Capitol Hill in 2003 or 4 to warn of Fannie/Freddie. And then we have Barney Frank and Chris Dodd . . . .Aw. Screw it. I don't need to post anything other than this video. If you need more than this. I can't help you. :D

edit: I would like to find one of these without the partisan subtext, but you'll get the idea. Also, in fairness to Artur Davis, who is in this movie, he has come out and apologized for his role in being asleep at the switch. I will give him credit for that.

_MGT_cSi7Rs

• Members

These old vids are why good 'ol Barney came out a couple of days age and alledged that anyone questioning the Dems on this was a closet racist.

The bizarre notion that the Community Reinvestment Act . . . somehow is the cause of the whole problem, (conservatives) don

Archived