You know you're old, when...

LionsDay

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My own roulette wheel is spinnin' and where she stops, nodoby knows ... But I do know there's a shovel of dirt somewhere with my name on it.

You may find this interesting:

In Great Britain and it's colonies, September 2, 1752 was followed by September 14, 1752.

The calendar reform bill of 1751 provided provisions to adjust the amount of money owed or collected from leases, rents, and similar legal arrangements.

The Gregorian calendar corrections were followed by widespread riots, due to the common belief that each person's days were "numbered" - each person was pre-ordained to be born and die at a divinely ordained time that no human agency could alter in any way.

• Members

When someone who is almost young enough to be your son starts complaining about how old he is.
:D

Oh man. Almost every day for the last month on the way to work I pass this really cute young thing when crossing a bridge. She's gone from just walking by and looking at me, to smiling to waving and I am sure I heard a little giggle as she walked past, smiled and waved to me this morning. :eek:

Were it not for the telltale signs of the school unifrom clearly identifying her as being in High School, I might acknowledge her back. :lol::cry:

Why can't anyone of legal age ever show interest in me. :rolleyes:

And I am saying this to you of all people. :facepalm:

• Members

Just wait 'til the people you grew up with start dying off with increasing frequency ... Then it won't be so important when a youngster doesn't know about The Landing of the Mothership. You just gotta get your monkey ass living your life and getting focused.

Take a moment every day to think about that first shovel of dirt that's gonna be dropped on your face as you begin to sail off into obscurity.

Woah, easy there killer. Social observations will keep you laughing and living longer, I presume. :poke:

• Members

When you see the jaws of fellow "Star Wars" fans drop as you tell them you saw the original "Star Wars" when it was first released in the theater.
:eek:

:wave:

I was too young to see the first movie, but I saw Empire and all 4 others after in their first runs. Empire I even saw in a Drive-In. :eek:

• Members

When someone who is almost young enough to be your son starts complaining about how old he is.
:D

For this, I do apologize :lol:

Supposedly with the way medicine is going, my sociology professor told us that our generation can easily make it to the age of 100, but:

A) I don't know if I'd want to be around that long

B) Will we have the money to afford that medicine? Good times.

• Members

For this, I do apologize
:lol:

Supposedly with the way medicine is going, my sociology professor told us that our generation can easily make it to the age of 100, but:

A) I don't know if I'd want to be around that long

B) Will we have the money to afford that medicine? Good times.

Haha. Too true. My mom, a lifelong smoker, has always used the argument that she doesn't care if it takes 10 years off of her life. Those are the ones at the end where you are already confined to a wheelchair, tied to machines, having nurses change your diaper while your family crowds around and asks you if you know who they are, and you don't. Who wants to live through those years anyway?

It's pretty hard hard to argue with Mom on that one. :lol:

• Members

Haha. Too true. My mom, a lifelong smoker, has always used the argument that she doesn't care if it takes 10 years off of her life. Those are the ones at the end where you are already confined to a wheelchair, tied to machines, having nurses change your diaper while your family crowds around and asks you if you know who they are, and you don't. Who wants to live through those years anyway?

It's pretty hard hard to argue with Mom on that one.

Haha, that *is* a valid point. My mom's the same way. Stubborn, but somehow wise in her ways.

• Members

It's pretty hard hard to argue with Mom on that one.

yeah, but it actually shortens your life by 10 years... meaning that you still have to go through all that bull{censored}, you just get to do it 10 years sooner.

My favorite smokerism, is "I'm gonna die someday." :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

Haha, that *is* a valid point. My mom's the same way. Stubborn, but somehow wise in her ways.

I guess you've never seen someone who's had their jaw and larynx removed for throat cancer, or who is dragging around an O2 bottle just to stay alive. Those last 10 years are a LOT more likely to be unhealthy miserable ones for smokers.

• Members

I guess you've never seen someone who's had their jaw and larynx removed for throat cancer, or who is dragging around an O2 bottle just to stay alive. Those last 10 years are a LOT more likely to be unhealthy miserable ones for smokers.

This thread has been rocked by imagery of burying your friends, and the vicious details of throat cancer, amongst other horrid things that happen with age and habit. I'm not saying that these things aren't horrible, and that they don't happen to most people. I had a great aunt who was shot to death, I've lost my grandpa to lung cancer, I've three suicides to deal with, and I was the one who had to identify my dog's body in the middle of the road. We all go through some sort of hell, but...

I was surprised when no one had any ideal of who Hansen was. Probably a good thing :p

• Members

yeah, but it actually
shortens
your life by 10 years... meaning that you still have to go through all that bull{censored}, you just get to do it 10 years sooner.

That's where her other lovely life nugget comes in to play. In reference to what us kids should do to her if she's ever in capacitated and tied to machines and can't speak on her own behalf...

"When you think I am not having fun any more, kill me." :lol:

Oh, this explains so much about where I get my worldy views on. Thanks mom. :thu:

Archived