So I just sent out a long band email

t3ch

• Members

I think there are a lot of ways we can make ourselves more marketable, more entertaining, more diverse, and better versed. If I were to guess, it would be a page and a half of printed email.

How much do you want to bet it will be dismissed and not taken seriously, even though I have specific points for each band member, as well as general band bullet points, as well as directions for songs, etc. :confused:

:wave::facepalm:

• Members

the drummer doesnt know how to use email so that wont be read

the guitars will think your a tool and they should just play bass himself cause its so easy

a short txt of "you suck, do this...." woulda got the point across :p

i hate trying to get my friends to take my suggestions serious, so i know how you feel :facepalm:

• Members

In my defense, I used names as paragraph headings for member-specific commentary, and numbers for each general-band point. I figured that would help break things down a bit. I also asked the drummer to print the email for discussion tomorrow.

• Members

My prediction? Someone is going to take it as an affront and get all bent out of shape about it, even though that's likely the furthest thing from your actual intention.

It's amazing what some people will take personally.

I think you did the right thing by typing it all out. It's like the forum, when you want to make a point; I communicate my points much more effectively here, in print, than I do in person, because nobody is interrupting me or sidetracking me. Besides me.:D

In a conversation, people like to talk over one another, defend themselves prematurely, and rebut things before the whole point has been made. When you make them read it, you get your whole point across. Email is a fantastic medium for getting your ENTIRE point and line of reasoning across without interruption.

C7

• Members

Email is a fantastic medium for getting your ENTIRE point and line of reasoning across without interruption.

C7

+1

The head of our US office has the shortest attention span of any adult I have ever met. I have learned in that company that things get misinterpreted so be thorough and specific... wordy. He always gets mad at me for not writing in bullet points.:facepalm:

• Members

My prediction? Someone is going to take it as an affront and get all bent out of shape about it, even though that's likely the furthest thing from your actual intention.

It's amazing what some people will take personally.

I think you did the right thing by typing it all out. It's like the forum, when you want to make a point; I communicate my points much more effectively here, in print, than I do in person, because nobody is interrupting me or sidetracking me. Besides me.
:D
In a conversation, people like to talk over one another, defend themselves prematurely, and rebut things before the whole point has been made. When you make them read it, you get your whole point across. Email is a fantastic medium for getting your ENTIRE point and line of reasoning across without interruption.

C7

That's basically how I feel as well. I can read back through and make sure I get all of my points thoroughly across.

Thankfully, we as a band understand each other and accept criticism. I am the first to admit I need work, but that doesn't mean I don't have suggestions for the other members as well, or ideas for the band as a whole. We'll see how my comments go over during practice tomorrow. :idea:

• Members

I think there are a lot of ways we can make ourselves more marketable, more entertaining, more diverse, and better versed. If I were to guess, it would be a page and a half of printed email.

How much do you want to bet it will be dismissed and not taken seriously, even though I have specific points for each band member, as well as general band bullet points, as well as directions for songs, etc.
:confused:

:wave::facepalm:

I did that once and just about got a punch to the face. "Play your bass and dont go worrying about me, girlie! You have enough to work on! We're carrying you, if you haven't figured that out yet!" :blah: Our singer was singing in a way that would give him blisters on his vocal chords and I suggested that he save the pot smoking until after we played, he'd have better pitch and wouldn't cough up blood as often. The drummer used to try new things on stage instead of in rehearsal and I suggested that it might be throwing the rest of the band off by doing stuff they aren't expecting (like ending 4 bars sooner than agreed upon and cutting off a guitar solo-out) and that his ideas are great, but he should do it in rehearsal instead. I'm such a bitch. :(

Now I only compliment.

• Members

I did that once and just about got a punch to the face. "Play your bass and dont go worrying about me, girlie! You have enough to work on!
We're
carrying
you
, if you haven't figured that out yet!"
:blah:
Our singer was singing in a way that would give him blisters on his vocal chords and I suggested that he save the pot smoking until after we played, he'd have better pitch and wouldn't cough up blood as often. The drummer used to try new things on stage instead of in rehearsal and I suggested that it might be throwing the rest of the band off by doing stuff they aren't expecting (like ending 4 bars sooner than agreed upon and cutting off a guitar solo-out) and that his ideas are great, but he should do it in rehearsal instead. I'm such a bitch.
:(

Now I only compliment.

I suggested that our drummer practice with a drum machine once. That was the start of the end. It's tough to do stuff like that, you always mean well, in a constructive criticism sense, but it rarely goes over that well.

• Members

I don't bother anymore. The last band was the last time I'll ever get into trying to make people change the way they act in a band. It will never happen no matter how or what I suggest, so it is never worth the effort. From now on if I'm ever in another band where there are things that bother me with other members I'll just leave. I don't have time for grade school drama, and if band members can't view the band in a somewhat professional light I don't have time for babysitting duty. Life's too short.

• Members

I don't bother anymore. The last band was the last time I'll ever get into trying to make people change the way they act in a band. It will never happen no matter how or what I suggest, so it is never worth the effort. From now on if I'm ever in another band where there are things that bother me with other members I'll just leave. I don't have time for grade school drama, and if band members can't view the band in a somewhat professional light I don't have time for babysitting duty. Life's too short.

Word. It's also why I am forming my band next time, for the first time. Sick of jack ass attitudes causing the collapse of the band, or my interest in being in it.

If I do the writing, anyone can leave and I won't care. I name the band, I write the lyrics, the music, you all can feck off and I won't care, nothing changes, no headaches over ownership of anything.

I have a VERY hard work ethic, if others have no interest in keeping up with my style, there is the door, no remorse, no regret. :wave:

• Members

We had about an hour long discussion after practice about the direction of the band, originals to work on, covers to do, etc. My email ended up being 2 printed pages (plus 2 pages of cover suggestions), and we didn't get into the specifics of my commentary on each individual member, but everyone tended to agree with what I was saying, and were on board.

I really like my band and think I kind of lucked out with them. We all get along, are on the same page, and are more than happy to accept criticism (even if it's unconstructive :lol:).

So yeah, it went a little better than I expected, but I knew they'd be cool about it despite the OP :thu:

• Members

I really like my band and think I kind of lucked out with them. We all get along, are on the same page, and are more than happy to accept criticism (even if it's unconstructive
:lol:
).

you have it pretty good then mang.

i was expecting to hear some sort of backlash after an email like that unless they asked you for your opinions on all that stuff. you have a pretty cool bunch of d00des there IMO. hope some of your ideas can change the band for the better :thu:

• Members

you have it pretty good then mang.

i was expecting to hear some sort of backlash after an email like that unless they asked you for your opinions on all that stuff. you have a pretty cool bunch of d00des there IMO. hope some of your ideas can change the band for the better
:thu:

I'm critical of my bandmates in a (usually) diplomatic manner. We talk about things, and if I like or don't like a certain part that one of them is playing, I make sure I say something.

They never give me criticism on my bass lines, though. So either I'm perfect, or they're scared of me.:D

C7

• Members

if you want it taken seriously a page and a half is too long.

for the average guitard you should keep the email to two sentences or shorter so you do not go beyond their short attention span.

for a drummer you should just use a series of grunts and hand gestures
:p

thats funny right there , i don't care who you are.

• Members

In my defense, I used names as paragraph headings for member-specific commentary, and numbers for each general-band point. I figured that would help break things down a bit. I also asked the drummer to print the email for discussion tomorrow.

Since this thread is still alive, I'll ask what I was wondering --

Was there a paragraph heading with your name on it as well?

:)

• Members

Since this thread is still alive, I'll ask what I was wondering --

Was there a paragraph heading with your name on it as well?

:)

Yup; it was the very first bullet point after my "I have some ideas" opening paragraph.

I let myself have it before I went into the others :poke:

• Members

"Play your bass and dont go worrying about me, girlie! You have enough to work on!
We're
carrying
you
, if you haven't figured that out yet!"

Yikes. What a {censored}ty thing to say to you...

We're usually pretty good at communicating in our band. Someone might get bent out of shape or get their feathers ruffled once in awhile but overall we can usually get our points across without too much turmoil.

Still, I think if a singer said that to me and meant it, they'd be looking for a new bassplayer. {censored} that.

Archived