Schecter Stiletto Studio 5

Last in Line

• Members

I'm giving it a one week test right now, trying to figure out if I should replace my MIM Fender Jazz 5er. I kinda prefer the sound of the Fender, but the low B is much better on the Schecter. The Schecter also has more frets, which I kinda like. I dunno. I'll have it figured out by the end of the week.

• Members

You will be hard pressed to find a bass with a better, fuller, richer sounding low B than a Stiletto series Schecter. The B's on those basses are just too good.
:thu:

I returned the Stiletto Elite-5 that I had - and much prefer Spector Legends and Q5s over Schecters...

- georgestrings

• Members

I returned the Stiletto Elite-5 that I had - and much prefer Spector Legends and Q5s over Schecters...

- georgestrings

Poor pickup choice from Schecter takes nothing away from the quality sound of the B, regardless of how much we might like or dislike the total bass. I would not ever say any Spector I've tried had a better sounding B string, but we all have our own ears.:cool:

• Members

Poor pickup choice from Schecter takes nothing away from the quality sound of the B, regardless of how much we might like or dislike the total bass. I would not ever say any Spector I've tried had a better sounding B string, but we all have our own ears.
:cool:

Here's the thing - they both had the same pups - EMG-HZs... but the Spectors sounded WAY better in a band mix, and played better, too...

To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

• Members

Here's the thing - they both had the same pups - EMG-HZs... but the Spectors sounded WAY better in a band mix, and played better, too...

To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

No doubt, the EMG's totally kill the bass. The stock preamps don't match the bass' tone either, although the three band Custom is MUCH better than the two band they put in the Elite. However, the tone is still in there in spades, and my Elite 5 wears Barts for that reason. Regarding nothing other than a powerful low B, the Schecters are just in a league up there with basses in the very high price bracket. Of all the basses I've played, only a Reverend 5L has a stronger low B, and that thing is ungodly!

• Members

No doubt, the EMG's totally kill the bass. The stock preamps don't match the bass' tone either, although the three band Custom is MUCH better than the two band they put in the Elite. However, the tone is still in there in spades, and my Elite 5 wears Barts for that reason. Regarding nothing other than a powerful low B, the Schecters are just in a league up there with basses in the very high price bracket. Of all the basses I've played, only a Reverend 5L has a stronger low B, and that thing is ungodly!

Hey, to each his own, but IMO Spector makes a better bass - have you played any Spectors??? I'm using mine in a modern rock band - so I assure you, the B string is quite important to me...

- georgestrings

• Members

RE: Stiletto Studio 5. i play mine as my #1, over my MIM jazz 5.. It plays and sounds like a very good dream... yes, that good.. and i prefer the hz's sound, so much that I had a set dropped into m jazz too.... Love th smaller body on the Schecter, too, so easy to manage, and the wood looks very nice!!!

• Members

I'm schecter 5 player who plans to upgrade to spector 5 someday.

Which spector legend are talking about? The 4 and 5 i've played had bolt on necks, no substain, and what i thought was poor craftsmanship. I didn't think they didn't earn the name spector on them. Spector is obivously top notch, but the legends i've touch were horrible. Schecter on the other for 6-7 you cant top the beauty and craftsmanship of their 5. Great tone an terrific woodwork. I could understand not liking the HZ tone, i'm getting sick of it myself. For that price range i dont think spector can compete.

• Members

I dig the Schecter Stiletto basses as well as their other similar models, but I wish they were offered in passive. I suppose I could just remove the EQ and just run the HZ's by themselves (they are passive pickups just coupled with an active preamp) or get replacements, but I don't need five knobs on a bass when I'm only going to need two or three.

• Members

I dig the Schecter Stiletto basses as well as their other similar models, but I wish they were offered in passive. I suppose I could just remove the EQ and just run the HZ's by themselves (they are passive pickups just coupled with an active preamp) or get replacements, but I don't need five knobs on a bass when I'm only going to need two or three.

exactly!

that was my complaint to the guy at GC

at the time it was just used to get him off my ass when i was playing it, but now that i think about, i just hated playing around for 10 minutes trying to get a usuable tone, and when i did it was still so processed and weak

i didg the looks and feel but idk :idk:

• Members

I think I will buy the schecter. The low range is so much clearer than my Fender, it's crazy. I'll probably end up replacing the EQ big time, since the only things that work on it is the volume, pickup selector and the mid control (which is almost like a volume on that thing) and the pickups might go later for something a lot more cooler.

• Members

For the price, the Schecters are darned nice.

I've seen people play them live and they sound great to the FOH.

Jeremey Plato from Cross Canadian plays one a lot (I think it's a 6 tho) and he runs it into an Avalon U5 and miked Ampeg 410HLF, and I was blown away how good it sounded, because I knew it was a midrange bass!

Having owned a Legend 5, I would take the Schecter. Or save up and get a Spector ReBop.

Archived