Forum Newbie needs advice...

db.

• Members

Hello Everyone,

I have saved up $1,750 for a new bass, despite the economy! And I'm not sure what brand or type of bass to get.

Here's what styles I play in various bands: old alternative, new alternative, classic rock, a bit o' country, and standard rock covers.

I'm thinking a P Bass or Jazz would cover all the tones I need for this. I'm upgrading from a Squire POS. Any suggestions?

I have an Ampeg B2RE Bass Head and 4x10" Half-Stack. Appreciate the help! Cheers.

• Members

I was looking at these. Very pleased with the playability, was just wondering about the versatility...

I played one as my main bass from 1986 until the late 1990s. It's had roundwounds, flats, been defretted, refretted, and around the block a couple times. It's the most comfortable bass I have, and it's my old friend. :D

• Members

I played one as my main bass from 1986 until the late 1990s. It's had roundwounds, flats, been defretted, refretted, and around the block a couple times. It's the most comfortable bass I have, and it's my old friend.
:D

That's a pretty fine endorsement. :D

• Members

Get to a music shop and check out as many basses as you can your hands on. Pick two or three that you really like, come back and ask some opinions and buy whichever one that you can't live without.

I've been trying out too many! That's why I'm here :D. But seriously, I know what your saying. I think I'll have to go back to the music shop a day later and it would put things more in focus.

• Members

I'd recommend a jazz (or other 2 pu config...say G&L L2000:love:) if you are looking for tonal versatility. +1 for the 62 reissue, I love mine and gigged it heavily for 10 years. The 62 gave way to the Modulus Genesis VJ4 which I'd recommend also... pricier and a long wait if you order, but you get the stability of graphite which was becoming a problem for me in New England with the 62. You could probably get a nice used Modulus for around $1500.

• Members

do you play a P or a J ?

do you like it? and the neck size/shape?

are you looking to stay in the Fender (or Fender clone) family?

maybe look for a used upgrade from a Squire, either an American or a Japanese Fender.

if you're looking for versatility (as mentioned above), something with an active EQ might be what you want.

• Members

do you play a P or a J ?

do you like it? and the neck size/shape?

are you looking to stay in the Fender (or Fender clone) family?

maybe look for a used upgrade from a Squire, either an American or a Japanese Fender.

if you're looking for versatility (as mentioned above), something with an active EQ might be what you want.

I'm using a P... I think I would like a shorter scale, but I'm willing to go other than Fender, although I do like the Fender sound. I prefer thinner necks with narrower string spacing.

I think it's looking more and more like a J - Japanese or American. I'll have to hang out at the music store and try out some more.

Thanks for the input everyone. :thu:

• Members

Good point with the two pickup configuration. That would make a world of difference right there.

I'm using a P... I think I would like a shorter scale, but I'm willing to go other than Fender, although I do like the Fender sound. I prefer thinner necks with narrower string spacing.

I think it's looking more and more like a J - Japanese or American. I'll have to hang out at the music store and try out some more.

Thanks for the input everyone.
:thu:

A shorter scale? Really?:D

Jazz basses are pretty versatile, but not overly so. They fit well in all types of music, that's where their versatility lies. You get more tonal control than you do with a P bass.

For $1750, you can get into pretty much any commercially manufactured bass you could want. Try the Active Jazz, try a Stingray, try the Laklands, try a Spector Euro, try a Warwick $$ Corvette (versatile!)...there are LOTS of choices with your budget.

C7

• Members

Good point with the two pickup configuration. That would make a world of difference right there.

A used HH Sterling or Bongo for

• Members

I'm using a P... I think I would like a shorter scale, but I'm willing to go other than Fender, although I do like the Fender sound.
I prefer thinner necks with narrower string spacing.

have you played a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass?

the Lakland 44-01 (US or Skyline) has a really playable thin neck and is versatile, you might want to check those out

• Members

i've always liked the look of those. what's the neck like?

It's P bass wide but not as thick front to back. Great feel. The neck dive doesn't bother me at all...I got used to that in the first week. While you play it and hold it, it seems very balanced.

• Members

It's P bass wide but not as thick front to back. Great feel. The neck dive doesn't bother me at all...I got used to that in the first week. While you play it and hold it, it seems very balanced.

I'm going to have to check all these out (including all the previous posts). The Jack Casady sounds like good one, but I get Tourette's Syndrome when I have the neck dives.

People seem to be pointing to the Laklands, I will have to check these out too.

Dang, I have homework to do. Fun homework! :thu:

Cheers!

Archived