Beer Thoughts

Renfield

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Murphy's a little more than Guinness, just seems to have a little more flavor and is a tad less roasty. Because a lot of people around here think Guinness is motor oil, it always surprises me when I'm out and a place will have the usual beers (Bud, Coors, etc.) but also have Guinness on tap.
I can't drink any one beer over and over but Bell's (Michigan), Victory and Troegs (Pennsylvania) brewers I buy a lot of beer from.

Tim

• Members

The funny thing about guinness is that it's actually got some pretty low alcohol content, hardly any hops, and minimal fizz (it is nitrogenated instead of carbonated), compared to a standard porter (like the one above this post) or bocks. In fact, IIRC it is actually slightly lower than all the usual American macros (Bud/Miller/Coors). It kinda takes the fire out of that classic joke, eh? :lol:

Don't get me wrong. I love guinness. It's not my #1 go-to, but there are times when I want a guinness, and only a guinness will do. It's actually the only beer light enough for me to have with a meal. I don't typically drink beer when eating something, but if I am, it's usually going to be a guinness. Otherwise, i'll have water.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Do like the Guinness, but I think Murphy's is a little better. When really treating myself to a GOOD strong beer, I gotta go with Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter.

Eh, Guinness tastes to watery to me. Not what I want in a stout really. Black Butte is tasty, I agree, but I don't find it especially "strong"... it's pretty drinkable for a porter, which isn't a bad thing.

Here's a really strong stout (and a super-delicious one too):

North+Coast+Brewery+Old+Rasputin+Russian

It's also 9% ABV. :o

• Moderators

Also, I have really been diggin rogue Dead guy ale:

And Full Sail Session Black:

Yeah, Dead Guy is really nice. And Session Black is really tasty and in insane value, at least here... $12 for a 12-pack of solid beer is awesome.

Archived