How much should I charge a small club to rent my amp?

yem

• Members

I have an Ampeg B2R in a rack with a furman power conditioner and a korg tuner. A local club wants to rent it to a band that is passing through. Assuming I'm properly compensated if the amp is damaged, how much should I charge for a night's rental?

• Members

Gratis basically means "as a favor", so I assume T-broom means free.

Well, it literally means free, actually. ;)

But as to what you should charge, I don't know myself.

Do you know what any local music store charge rent for a similar setup? Do any music stores that rent have a website with the pricing for renting gear? If so I'd use that as a guideline an charge a little under to make it worth their while, or just depending on how generous you feel.

• Members

Do you know what any local music store charge rent for a similar setup? Do any music stores that rent have a website with the pricing for renting gear? If so I'd use that as a guideline an charge a little under to make it worth their while, or just depending on how generous you feel.

Unfortunately, there is no local music store.

• Members

I've found rentals for a PA system that are $200 per day and up. Renting instruments per week goes for $30-40ish in areas I've visited. That's instruments, though, and to students.

See if ~40-$50 is fair. Just estimating, again, I don't know if that's low or high. Seeming as they have no other source though, I'd just negotiate whatever sounds fair to both parties.

• Members

Somewhere between 5% and 10% of the value of the gear seems to be the going rate for rentals around here.

Personally, I don't get the "he has a relationship with the club so should loan them the amp for free" argument... The club is making money, the artist is making money... why is it up to the OP to give away his services?

Also, make sure that you get an agreement in writing to cover repair or replacement - at your option - with a stated replacement value to cover the eventuality that something bad happens to your gear.

• Members

Personally, I don't get the "he has a relationship with the club so should loan them the amp for free" argument... The club is making money, the artist is making money... why is it up to the OP to give away his services?

The OP is free to do as he wishes. If it were me and I had a positive relationship with the club, I would loan it for free. There are more important things to me than making money. I have a daytime job for that.

• Members

I've found rentals for a PA system that are $200 per day and up. Renting instruments per week goes for $30-40ish in areas I've visited. That's instruments, though, and to students.

See if ~40-$50 is fair. Just estimating, again, I don't know if that's low or high. Seeming as they have no other source though, I'd just negotiate whatever sounds fair to both parties.

The local store here, Long & McQuade, would rent that for about $10 for the whole weekend.

Do it Gratis. It'll come around one day when you least expect it.

• Members

Gratis,while being free in terms of money,buys you probably100 times more in good p.r. with the club than you could ever charge. I would do it for free drinks(beer),and no cover for this event,but,I would get in written form,fixes for any damadge up to,and including a new amp in the event yours is destroyed.

• Members

The OP is free to do as he wishes. If it were me and I had a positive relationship with the club, I would loan it for free. There are more important things to me than making money. I have a daytime job for that.

While I agree with the general statement, the fact is that the owner of the club isn't ultimately using the amp; a bass player that - I'm assuming - neither the OP or the club owner know. We have no clue how easy/hard this guy may be on his current rig (which could be a reason why they need a backline right now).

If anything, I'd charge the club owner a deposit of 10% the value of the amp, refundable when the amp is returned and still in the same condition which you gave it to them. That way, you're still doing the club a favor but also covering your butt if the guy beats the crap out of your stuff.

• Members

Same here - I have loaned equipment in similar situations, and it hasn't been a bad thing... Besides, loaning an amp like that is fairly risk-free - a cab would be more likely to be abused into developing a problem than a SS amp...

- georgestrings

• Members

While I agree with the general statement, the fact is that the owner of the club isn't ultimately using the amp; a bass player that - I'm assuming - neither the OP or the club owner know. We have no clue how easy/hard this guy may be on his current rig (which could be a reason why they need a backline right now).

If anything, I'd charge the club owner a deposit of 10% the value of the amp, refundable when the amp is returned and still in the same condition which you gave it to them. That way, you're still doing the club a favor but also covering your butt if the guy beats the crap out of your stuff.

Yeah, but it's the bar owner that's asking for a favor - odds are he already told the visiting band he'd take care of this detail - if I trusted him enough to make good on any damage that might occur, I'd hook him up for free - if I didn't, I wouldn't do it... That being said, my bass heads are pretty bulletproof - I wouldn't be as concerned with someone damaging one of them as I would them breaking stuff by cranking it up too much - hahaha!!!

In my area, there's probably atleast half a dozen good venues that my band plays on a semi-regular basis, and I have a personal relationship with those owners/managers - since I usually book through them... If any of them requested such a favor, I'd make it happen, and wouldn't sweat it - although not everyone's situation is the same as this...

- georgestrings

Archived