Finding your band's niche Vs taking all gigs you can.

Sugarskull

• Members
Well I'm 22 so on behalf of the "newly-anointed" I'm sorry we suck ass
:D

It's just when a group of 21 year old guys shows up at a bar. And not all of them, just the meatheads that think the bar is a place to go look for an MMA challenge to prove how bad they are to all their friends.

It happens with all age groups, but the young ones tend to be out to prove something. Prove they can drink more, prove they can {censored} more, prove they can fight better, whatever.

When I was 18, I wanted the drinking age lowered. By the time I was 25, there was no way I'd endorse lowering it to 18.:D
C7

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well it is 18 here. Those supposed hard men who think they're tought guy's usually get their asses kicked by the time they're my age around here.

Guess who found that out the hard way :rolleyes: It does make going into the city a chore sometimes, when you just know some dickhead is gonna try and pull some {censored} on you. Like I said earlier though, the Adelaide metal scene is pretty tight knit so if you make the mistake of {censored}in with a band member or a well known fan, you're just as likely to find the whole night's lineup ready to kick your ass.

• Members

I try to only book shows with a purpose. That purpose may include decent pay, a chance to play in front of new folks, a show I support, or as a favor to a booking agent. My old band really did gig too much, and it definitely had a backlash effect on certain shows. Personally, I think you'll know when you hit that threshold, but I definitely feel that you shouldn't do any show you're not comfortable with. I mean, why bother? You're in it because you love it...it's not a job.

• Members

+1 for one charity gig per year for exposure, with (for example) a 5$ ticket, on which it is precised that all tickets money will be refund as contribution to charity .
+1 for not other kind of free gigs.

No problem for us to play private or houseparty, but for the same cash than in bars or more. The only private gig we done was an anniversary, from a guy that our keyboardist knows, and we made our better cash, with added excellent free food, and one champagne bottle for each of us as gift, just before leave, cause the guy and his wife were really happy from our playing.
"crowd" was 50/60 persons, and we played in a big nice garden, next to the swimming pool. That was just a perfect day. Guy also hired a caterer which made all these awesome toast thingies, and a DJ which played after us for "the rest of the night". Not the gig you find at each crossroads :)

• Members
No problem for us to play private or houseparty, but for the same cash than in bars or more. The only private gig we done was an anniversary, from a guy that our keyboardist knows, and we made our better cash, with added excellent free food, and one champagne bottle for each of us as gift, just before leave, cause the guy and his wife were really happy from our playing.

"crowd" was 50/60 persons, and we played in a big nice garden, next to the swimming pool. That was just a perfect day. Guy also hired a caterer which made all these awesome toast thingies, and a DJ which played after us for "the rest of the night". Not the gig you find at each crossroads
:)

I think we'd probably play a private party where we were hired to be there, but that's different than someone saying "Hey, I'm throwing a party, you guys should set up in our back yard and jam!", which is something we get alot.

It's different for cover bands than it is for originals, though. If we were a cover band, we'd play any gig they threw at us, as long as it paid.
C7

• Members

agree.
The only free gig we play one time per year is in our chick singer's man bar, in a skiing place. We play for pleasure, excellent food, beer and rest in the chick singer appartment. He offers free skiing days. but i don't practise.
Very fun gig.

• Members

I'd take ONE ear bleeding, virgin defiling, face mother {censored}ing melting gig over a life time of touring, recording, and selling out.

Once money controls your desire to play, your music is worthless.

Hah yeah, I had that exact sentiment before I had kids. Gigging vs having milk for their next breakfast is an easy choice. At some point you'll see you can't just run off and take any gig that's offered to you and at some point for the sake of your family, you have to make the best financial decisions possible for them. Awesome exposure and hard hitting rocking gig or not.

• Members

Doesn't the club only care about its profit and how many people you bring to the bar?

Yes you are correct. I should really spend more time thinking things through on my own before I start typing away.:blah:

The more I think about it, the more I think it has more to do with the idea that we're an original band who do some covers vs a cover band with a few originals. (Thinking specifically of this band vs ours in that particular club.)

They have asked us to play, but it has always been a weekday and for less money. It's not about cred or value, its has to be about the material and how well we'll blend with their regular crowd. Even if I bring in 50+ new people to their club, if I alienate their regulars I'm doing them no favours.

Thanks. :)

Anyway, back on topic from my little aside.

I'm quite curious to hear how STFF's mall gig went....

• Members

It's different for cover bands than it is for originals, though. If we were a cover band, we'd play any gig they threw at us, as long as it paid.

C7

This is true. I play in a cover band and we can/do play just about anything. The house party's we've played have been great. Pay is good, all the food & booze we want, and a fun atmosphere. But we're playing tunes that people recognize, sing along with, and dance to. Charity gigs are another thing. We just played a charity gig for free at a bar and raised some cash for a local charity. The bar however, donated nothing but space and benefited from selling drinks to the crowd we brought in. I didn't organize this event but I would have liked to have seen the bar pony up a little something for the extra business.

• Members

IMO, there is no "right answer". Is playing as much as possible, anywhere you can the "right move"? Maybe.

Is being selective and choosy the right move? Maybe

It can't be said enough...it's an organic process with pure chance playing one of the biggest roles in the end result.

We are now somewhat selective in where we play and who we play with. Two years ago we weren't selective at all. We'd play in the port-o-let next to NAmzr. However, It was at the most unnatural place for us to be playing, with other groups that we didn't fit in with at all where we were heard by the guy who ultimately was responsible for all the success we had in the last year and is continuing to move us forward as a band.

Flip a coin.

• Members

I would like to take every gig possible. But only so I can play on every stage available in Metro Detroit at least once. There's already places I'll never go back to no matter how tempting the gig, and there's a few awesome places I'll play no matter how {censored}ty the gig is.

But I also don't want to play the same place three times in a row. I want to bounce around and bring variety. I don't want all my fans to just see me in the same stagnant place. So I'd rather juggle up the gigs and pass potentials in the name of variety.

• Members

"crowd" was 50/60 persons, and we played in a big nice garden, next to the swimming pool. That was just a perfect day. Guy also hired a caterer which made all these awesome toast thingies, and a DJ which played after us for "the rest of the night". Not the gig you find at each crossroads
:)

That gig, I would do in a heartbeat. It sounds fun.

There is some really great advice here and lots to think about. Thanks guys.

• Members

we'll play any time, anywhere with any band. we're pretty much death metal, and we've played with everything from 3-chord punk, to rockabilly, to godsmack/creed type corporate rock bands.

we don't much care.

actually, we're all about trying to set up oddball gigs, just for the fun of it. there's a band here in KC called wild chipmunk and the cuddly-poos. they do lounge-style covers of hard rock and metal songs. we've been trying to book a gig with them for months... they're just too busy.

• Members

actually, we're all about trying to set up oddball gigs, just for the fun of it. there's a band here in KC called wild chipmunk and the cuddly-poos. they do lounge-style covers of hard rock and metal songs. we've been trying to book a gig with them for months... they're just too busy.

Heck yeah the lounge band sounds like heaps of fun.

I think the key to your statement is that you're setting the gigs up and therefor obviously want to play them.

As a question, not chops busting or anything, would you play these gigs?

-A Hell's Angels bike party out on the bush.- some mention of money, a ton of beer etc.

-A wedding expo.- no money but exposure.

-A kid's 18th birthday party.- PA rental covered, a case of beer as payment.

-An office party for oilfield workers. -You will require to know at least one Nickelback tune for that show. 400 bucks

-And a backyard babyshower- you have to play quietly and make sure all the songs are completely child/neighbour friendly. No money it's just as a favour 'cause they really like you and it would make you inlaws happy you obliged.

• Members

-A Hell's Angels bike party out on the bush.- some mention of money, a ton of beer etc.

-An office party for oilfield workers. -You will require to know at least one Nickelback tune for that show. 400 bucks

-And a backyard babyshower- you have to play quietly and make sure all the songs are completely child/neighbour friendly. No money it's just as a favour 'cause they really like you and it would make you inlaws happy you obliged.

without exception, yes. we've driven up to 3 hours, for a guarantee of $20. we've driven 3 hours to play benefit shows for people we didn't even know.

seriously - we don't care. within about a 6 hour radius - we'll play anywhere, with anyone for money or not. our only restriction is friday, saturday or early sunday shows only.

• Members

setting the gigs up and therefor obviously want to play them.

-No

-No

-...No. Maybe if there's gonna be hot nubile teen action milling about.

-Yes

-No

The reason I personally don't like doing "favors" for friends with my band is because I've always gotten screwed on the deals. Once, I bartended a friend's wedding, and missed out on all the fun. Since I was everyone's friend, I didn't get any tips. Zero. The second time, my band played a benefit for a friend of mine's sister. We got scheduled right after the raffle, so guess what? We drove 45 miles in the snow to play to a *completely* empty room. My friend who planned the whole thing even left. It was my wife, and the event bartender, who asked us to stop playing because it was pointless.

Never again.

C7

• Members
I'd like to start this thread to hear some advice from those of you have found your own successful niche's and to see if anyone has had an experience where they have turned down gigs because it was contrary to their band image or... oh I dont know what I'm trying to say. Here's the long explanation:

STFF's thread about doing an acoustic show at a retail outlet location rather than a stage with a goth band got me thinking a bit. Playing a store seems a bit out of their nature to me. Also, being relatively clean cut and sober my band, The Razors, are starting to get more calls to come do charity work and corporate Christmas parties etc...

I can't figure out why it gives me such an unsettling feeling to play Charity fundraisers, weddings, corporate parties, backyard hootenannies and Holiday celebrations. It just seems so contrary to what we 'the band' are. Not that I'm against any of those things, I'd just rather be in the audience than on stage for them. Is that wrong? Isn't a gig is a gig is a gig? What's wrong with me?

Does anyone else feel this way or am I out of line?

I think you should do what you want. My band has done a few charity gigd and have another big one coming up in february. We would not be playing any corporate christmas parties though (for the reasons why, click on the link to our myspace page :D )

it's all about what you feel is right for your band.

• Members
The reason I personally don't like doing "favors" for friends with my band is because I've always gotten screwed on the deals.

C7

Yeah... I hear you. I've made a policy not to play weddings anymore for similar reasons. You're never good enough for that one uncle who just wants to pound your face in because you ruined the wedding for his bestest niece in the whole world by not playing "Froggie Went a Courtin" or whatever crap he wants to hear. You get to deal with Bride Drama, drunken horny groomsmen who think it's the stag and not a wedding, that other uncle who no matter who the hell he is or what wedding always claims to have played drums for April Wine and demands to get up and jam... bah... the whole ordeal is just too ugly for me. I hand the gigs over to stronger men than I. :lol:

• Members
Wow, that's crazy and awesome.

Would you do those gigs if you were me?

i really can't say. if i was you, i'd never leave the house because i'd be too busy staring at my naked self in the mirror...

:D:D

seriously - i can't say. you've gotta do what's right for you and your band.

• Members
I think you should do what you want. My band has done a few charity gigd and have another big one coming up in february.

See, this one I'm looking forward to. I'm going to cruise around Mines and Red Rocks CC handing out flyers to chicks with pictures of puppies on it, imploring them to come support the cause, wearing tight, tight sweaters and plaid skirts. It's the theme of the show, yeah, that's it. Tight sweaters and plaid skirts. With fishnets.:D
C7

• Members
I think you should do what you want. My band has done a few charity gigd and have another big one coming up in february. We would not be playing any corporate christmas parties though (for the reasons why, click on the link to our myspace page
:D
)

it's all about what you feel is right for your band.

Ha ha ha! Sineater live with Santa!!!! Rawr!!! lol.

I just see you guys all standing like Angels of death over the sacred manger rockin' out and I must say, I giggle quite a bit. Thanks for the mental image. :D:thu:

Archived