Would a Violin Bass get this sound?

theAntihero

• Members

Are you looking at violin basses or just looking for something to get that sound?

Basically im just asking if a Violin Bass could pull off this sound, that is my bassist normal tone. He has always wanted a violin bass but has been unsure if it could get the tone he likes and his wife wants to get him one for xmas if it can. I guess i could have worded my original post a bit better.

Doesn't sound like a Hofner to me.

Its not, but i explain why i asked above.

• Members

It would be a hell'uva lot of trouble but i guess you get it in the ball park. \n

If he likes the look an feel, he should try to find a different unique voice from it. That way some days he can play his normal bass and get "his" tone, and some days he can strap on the violin and get a different thumpy, deep tone.

• Members

It would be a hell'uva lot of trouble but i guess you get it in the ball park.

If he likes the look an feel, he should try to find a different unique voice from it. That way some days he can play his normal bass and get "his" tone, and some days he can strap on the violin and get a different thumpy, deep tone.

Thaks for responding, and i do hear what you say, but i thought id ask anyway so he would end up liking it as is wife was/is a bit worried about that.

Out of curiosity why do you think it would be hard to get that sound? Please take pity on a guitar player whose only violin bass knowledge comes from the Beatles. What is the standard sort of tone for a violin bass? Obviously its not gonna sound exactly the same as his EB-0, which is whats on the recording btw, but is it gonna have somewhere near the low end presence?

• Members

IMO it would depend on which violin bass was being used.

The bass in the recording doesn't sound like a standard Hofner tone, but may be possible to achieve if you tried it on an Epiphone Viola bass that has an actual tone pot rather than a Hof-type Rhythm/Solo switch. I'd imagine the amp and cab being used would also have a bearing.

• Members

I have both an Epi EBO and an EPI Violin Bass. To my ear they are two different things. That doesn't make either one bad, just different. The EBO is sort of known for it's dark heavy sound, and is considered a "one trick pony" by most bass players that I know. Not much variation in the sound is possible with the EBO. The Violin bass has a variety of sounds available, and a bit more of a "woody" sound to it. If I had to describe the EBO sound I'd call it a "thud" rather than a "thump"; I don't know whether the Violin bass can achieve that same sound. I was reluctant to buy a Violin bass for many years because I didn't like their look. But when I was looking for a bass that could sound more like an upright, I looked at several hollow body basses and ended up with three, one of them being the EPI Violin bass.

At the price of the Rogue Violin bass I'd say go for it and see if he likes it. If not he can probably sell it for close to what it cost new.

JR

• Members

I own a Jay Turser Hofner knock-off and it's one of my favorite basses to play. I didn't listen to the clip, so I don't know about the tone. But that bass is just more fun than a barrel of monkeys to play.

www.glassbeatles.com - that's my Beatles cover thing. Some recordings on there of my faux Hofner through an Ashdown EVO I 1x15 combo.

I've recorded with it too, and it's been great for some recordings I've done.

That's among my favorite $200 I ever spent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

• Members

That's among my favorite $200 I ever spent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

Thanks,that helps me a lot.

I think im gonna tell her to go with it. At the very least it sounds like he'll get a good bass that can get a different tone, or at least different from his 8 string and EB-0.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived