direct recording

gijoint

• Members

Neither is better or worse, it's all about what recorded tone you prefer. I like the recorded sound of a passive Jazz bass just as much as my active Spector.

If you're having problems with input gain being too low or high, find a firewire interface, like an M-Box. That will even your recordings out nicely and allow you to record using microphones as well.

If you check out the live recordings on the myspace in my sig, that was done with 2 pencil condensers, an M-Box, and an old Macbook.

C7

• Members

Neither is better or worse, it's all about what recorded tone you prefer. I like the recorded sound of a passive Jazz bass just as much as my active Spector.

If you're having problems with input gain being too low or high, find a firewire interface, like an M-Box. That will even your recordings out nicely and allow you to record using microphones as well.

If you check out the live recordings on the myspace in my sig, that was done with 2 pencil condensers, an M-Box, and an old Macbook.

C7

oh ok

thanks for the info

nice songs by the way :thu:

• Members

oh ok

thanks for the info

nice songs by the way
:thu:

Thanks!

Yeah, if you have a Macbook and Protools, the only component you're missing to do some decent home recordings is the digital interface. If you're not familiar with them, go to musiciansfriend.com and search "M-Box" and "digital interface".

IIRC the M-box is specifically designed to work with Protools, as well.

Once you have that stuff set up, all you'd really need is a condenser mic set, a vocal mic, and some cables, and you could record pretty much anything.

C7

• Members

Thanks!

Yeah, if you have a Macbook and Protools, the only component you're missing to do some decent home recordings is the digital interface. If you're not familiar with them, go to musiciansfriend.com and search "M-Box" and "digital interface".

IIRC the M-box is specifically designed to work with Protools, as well.

Once you have that stuff set up, all you'd really need is a condenser mic set, a vocal mic, and some cables, and you could record pretty much anything.

C7

yea.. i've checked the mbox before but only the Pro its firewire.. the others are usb.. and i prefer firewire.. i will buy the 610 profire from m-audio as soon as it is compatible with the new pro tools 8...

• Members

yea.. i've checked the mbox before but only the Pro its firewire.. the others are usb.. and i prefer firewire.. i will buy the 610 profire from m-audio as soon as it is compatible with the new pro tools 8...

Yeah, firewire is better. Not sure if there are other interfaces you can use with Protools that are firewire. There probably are.

Either way, to answer your original question, it's all about the output of the bass. My Jazz bass is WAY hotter than my Spector on input. All basses are different; the "go to" bass for recording has been a Fender Precision for a long time, for good reason. It's quiet, it's got good passive tone, and the output is average.

C7

• Members

Yeah, firewire is better. Not sure if there are other interfaces you can use with Protools that are firewire. There probably are.

Either way, to answer your original question, it's all about the output of the bass. My Jazz bass is WAY hotter than my Spector on input. All basses are different; the "go to" bass for recording has been a Fender Precision for a long time, for good reason. It's quiet, it's got good passive tone, and the output is average.

C7

yea.. i guess i'll know until i try it... i just got a squier vintage modified jazz bass and im replacing the pickups...... as for recording, im hoping that people from m-audio will soon release PT 8 M-Powered and then ill buy the soundcard

Archived