Never going to GC again

emmaporkchop

• Members

Not true. I bought a bunch of PA gear at GC a few weeks ago, and got a pretty healthy discount off of the marked prices.

I think it depends on the spcific store manager, as well as how much you're actually buying. They don't have a whole lot of room to maneuver on a $350 guitar, but if you go in after $2500 worth of gear, it's a whole different story.

It's store-dependent. A few months back, our local Guitar Center stopped doing any kind of deals at all. Same employees, people I have known for years, but they are not able to flex on the price of anything, period. They can throw in "bonuses" (such as if you buy this, we'll give you some sticks, or some other nonsense promotional-writeoff items), but can't discount the prices unless you bring in something to pricematch with.

I got into a fight with them over this, because I brought in an Amazon.com printout for a poweramp they had for sale, $699 at GC, $499 at Amazon, or something like that. They fought tooth and nail saying that the one on Amazon was a refurb (it wasn't), it was used (it wasn't), it was a pricing mistake and they can't match those (it wasn't), that it was being sold by a third-party and not really Amazon so they wouldn't match it (it wasn't). I bought it from a place down the street who had no problem matching it.

I used to go to Guitar Center almost weekly to buy things. I haven't been there since they dropped their policy of being flexible with the price. The two main salespeople that I deal with said that it really sucks for them, because they're losing a ton of commission. Between what I buy, what I buy to re-sell when I can find deals, and what I walk in with other people and buy for them, I probably run $10k per year through their system under my name. Their commissions aren't affected particularly by what they discount -- or at least, it's a fairly negligible amount -- and from what I hear, this policy has made a huge impact on what they take home, and at least our local one is having a hard time holding on to employees.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
{censored} that place on sheer principle. It
is
the Walmart of guitar stores....It's all about the local mom/pop store! FTW!

not to mention that every time I go in mine and start fooling around on a bass, some asshole feels it is necessary to sit right next to me and crank
their
amp louder than mine and play terribly I might add as if it were some sort of competition.....
:mad:

I refuse to go there anymore. It just raises my blood pressure too much.

Yeah, I'll usually give the mom and pop store a chance to match GC's prices on various gear. Mom and Pop usually are happy to match it, and I buy it. I like the idea of supporting local business and not spending $$ at GC at the same time. :thu:

• Members

I sure hope GC doesn't go out of business. I mean, how many other places are there to buy gear really? Not very many. I got a pretty long poll from them the other day, quite a bit longer than the others they've sent b4 so something must be up. Sounds like they're getting a little concerned with the current economic situation too...

Are you kidding? There are a ton of other places to buy gear...but I guess it does depend on where you live. There are a ton of music stores near me...all of them are cheaper and closer than GC. Most of them are much smaller shops that actually carry more guitar/bass {censored} than GC does, with much more variety.

GC just looks like they have a lot of stuff because they have 200 entry level guitars on the walls, and a ton of small practice amps. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

• Moderators

My local GC is a pleasant place to visit. It is better than the local shops in that the GC employees know they don't know what they are talking about and the local shop owners think they do. :D Every shop is filled with tools you use to accomplish your task. Certain tools can be used for access to certain gear, others for being able to custom order certain items, etc. To that end, ANY music store is a good store.

• Members

Junkyard Guitars in Royal Oak is another great store, and are great to deal/trade with. Anyone remember Scanlan Music? That place was great cause you could trade some horrible equipment and walk out with a mint Les Paul, Strat or Tele. But I think alot of stores (and musicians) in the late 80's and early 90's were more into the cheesey graphics on a guitar rather than if it was a good guitar.

• Members
There are plenty of other places to spend money than Guitar Center. I hated having to get my LMII there.
:facepalm:
I have Make-n-Music as well as Chicago Music Exchange in Chicago. I also have Flores in Peoria. I'll hit these places up before resorting to GC.

I want to buy a new Lakland Skyline. Is there a place in the city where I can trade in two basses + cash for a new Lakland? Preferably I would like to try 3 different Skyline models before deciding also. I already know I love the Glaub.

Archived