Never going to GC again

emmaporkchop

• Members

yeah. i always liked it there. i know theres still a local place...um...im thinking its called vintage? not sure. vintage, or heritage...i dont remember. i think its over by where farrows used to be? been there once but cant remember exactly where it was. i think they actually got alot of the stuff that was left at dillons when it closed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah. i always liked it there. i know theres still a local place...um...im thinking its called vintage? not sure. vintage, or heritage...i dont remember. i think its over by where farrows used to be? been there once but cant remember exactly where it was. i think they actually got alot of the stuff that was left at dillons when it closed.

Never had a chance to check that one yet. Marshall's is still a local store; the main headquarters is in Lansing. Their stock used to be huge, until the president of the company cut the Kzoo stock in half, never minding the fact that they were leading all the stores in guitar sales.

Guitar Center is turning into our version of King of the Hill's Megalomart; most of the guys I knew at Marshall's and Farrows now work at GC.

• Members

This is a pretty recent thing. They explained to me that it's going corporate wide. I went into 2 different GC's about 50 miles apart and it was the same deal.

Have you bought anything big at your GC lately?

The last big ticket item was a Les Paul VOS G0 I bought a year ago. Got a discount and paid $2600.

• Members

Yeah, GC won't haggle with the prices anymore.

Not true. I bought a bunch of PA gear at GC a few weeks ago, and got a pretty healthy discount off of the marked prices.

I think it depends on the spcific store manager, as well as how much you're actually buying. They don't have a whole lot of room to maneuver on a $350 guitar, but if you go in after $2500 worth of gear, it's a whole different story.

• Members

It's a sales technique called highballing. They jack the price when they see you're really interested. Sometimes they try it as the purchase is being written..."oh that item really isn't as low as I told you" and act real surprised. Old sales trick of people trying to scam you.

• Members

It seems like the probability of any music store discounting their stuff varies with who is working that particular shift and who is the current manager. There are two local Music-Go-Round stores in my area and they typically will not deal on anything. They will mark something down if it sits there long enough, but in general they will refuse any offer you make. It's their way or the highway. I have purchased a number of items from them but usually it is something that's been marked down already. I think the same guy is the owner of both stores and he tends to be a good bit less than friendly. There's a closer Mom & Pop (really, Pop only) store that makes the prices charged by everyone else look like bargains. I really don't know how this guy stays in business. He basically will not deal on anything and he even refuses to set his store up so he can offer lessons to potential customers. Get this; he says he doesn't want the constant traffic that comes with offering lessons. Seems to me that more traffic through the store leads to more sales.

JR

• Members

I've got two GREAT hookups at two Guitarded Centers. I pretty much never buy anything at their price. I always look online before purchasing anything, to check if it's cheaper somewhere else. Then I print the page and take it in. Also, I only really buy things from GC when they go on clearance. I rarely buy things there cuz I NEED them, otherwise I'll go to Motor City Guitar.

But when that Ibby Prestige dropped from $1300 to $850... VISAAAAA!!!

• Members
:facepalm:

That would be the last time I went to that GC.

When I want to buy local, I go to Tigard Music. They ordered an MIJ two-tone '51 P reissue, matched the GC price, and did a free set-up for me.
:thu:

Good deal. How's the bass? Is that the single pickup Precision?

• Members

There's a closer Mom & Pop (really, Pop only) store that makes the prices charged by everyone else look like bargains. I really don't know how this guy stays in business. He basically will not deal on anything and he even refuses to set his store up so he can offer lessons to potential customers. Get this; he says he doesn't want the constant traffic that comes with offering lessons. Seems to me that more traffic through the store leads to more sales.

JR

I wondered the same thing about a neighborhood shop. Their prices are so bad that they've got NOS left over from the '90s in there.

I stopped in one time on a June day because I didn't feel like driving 10 miles to buy strings elsewhere, and it was then I found out how they make their $$. The floor was so full of instrument cases you couldn't walk around the shop. I commented about it, and they told me that the instruments were back for service from local middle and high schools, who had been renting them for their school bands. They added that the store serviced 12 schools in the area, and it kept them hopping.

No wonder they don't need to sell any of the basses/guitars/amps that have been there so long.

• Members

Here's the dialogue from my last trip to GC:

Sales Guy: So are you going to buy today?
Me: May I see that Fender Jazz up there (it was hung high).
Sales Guy: Are you going to buy it today?
Me: Well, I'd like to try it out first, if it's nice, I might buy it.

Sales Guy gets the $1,300 J bass down for me, I jammed on it for awhile - it was nice, but certainly not worth $1,300.

Sales Guy: So are going to buy that today?
Me: If I pay cash, can we maybe make a deal?
Sales Guy: No. It doesn't matter to me, I'll get your money anyway. Do you want to buy it?
Me: No.

• Members
Here's the dialogue from my last trip to GC:

Sales Guy:
So are you going to buy today?

Me:
May I see that Fender Jazz up there (it was hung high).

Sales Guy:
Are you going to buy it today?

Me:
Well, I'd like to try it out first, if it's nice, I might buy it.

Sales Guy gets the $1,300 J bass down for me, I jammed on it for awhile - it was nice, but certainly not worth $1,300.

Sales Guy:
So are going to buy that today?

Me:
If I pay cash, can we maybe make a deal?

Sales Guy:
No. It doesn't matter to me, I'll get your money anyway. Do you want to buy it?

Me:
No.

damn sounds like someone needed a bitchslap :lol:

• Members

My last trip to GC:

Me: Do you guys have any bass pedals? All you have out on display are the gutiard pedals.
GC: Sure. *sets 3 or 4 out on counter from rack behind him.
Me: I want a kind of gritty fuzz sound. Either that or I need to buy a T'bird.
GC: If you buy 2 Boss pedals I will give you the pedal board / carrying case free.
Me: That means I have to pay full price for the pedals right?
GC: Nah. I'll still give you the sale price.
Me: Okay. I want the ODB and the Chorus pedal with the case.
GC (to other employee walking by): Hey, Fred said I could give this guy the same deal on the Boss pedals even though the bass pedals were not included in the special sale with the pedal case. Type in your code for me.
GC: Okay, here you go.. Cash or charge?

• Members

I sure hope GC doesn't go out of business. I mean, how many other places are there to buy gear really? Not very many. I got a pretty long poll from them the other day, quite a bit longer than the others they've sent b4 so something must be up. Sounds like they're getting a little concerned with the current economic situation too...

• Members

He said the manager noticed it. It was at the lower price for at least a week when I first noticed it. I told them they're supposed to sell it for the price that is on it but supposedly the manager wouldn't let it go for the listed price, was even going to charge me more for the {censored}ty soft case!

F them. You can always find one somewhere else.

• Members
There are plenty of other places to spend money than Guitar Center. I hated having to get my LMII there.
:facepalm:
I have Make-n-Music as well as Chicago Music Exchange in Chicago. I also have Flores in Peoria. I'll hit these places up before resorting to GC.

That's right.

If GC keeps doing what they're doing they will soon be out of business.

Unless they get a bailout. :D

• Members

We have 2 GC here the one in beaverton won't deal at all no matter what the one in clackamas will if you know someone. To make a long story longer I went into the beaverton store to see what I could get for an old Ibby 6 string bass the manager goes 175 if tou want to sell it 200 trade if you spend at least 500.00 I told him I'd have to think about it so the next day I went to clackamas and asked the guys I ussually deal with and was told that the beaverton store had called and asked them not to buy it because they wanted it,and I said I would't sell it to them if they would't give me a better deal and that I'd rather do bussiness with them anyway, the manager asked me what I wanted and I told him I was thinking of tradeing it for a EPI Thunderbird and a Acoustic B200H. So he goes let me see what I can do give me about 10 min.In the mean time I was looking around and they had 2 birds one was on the wall and had had the {censored} played out of it and 1 was on the floor with the plastic protectors still on it, he comes back and goes the bird and the amp for your bass and 250.00 and I go I was hoping for a little better deal than that, not that thats a bad deal but it's a little more than I wanted to spend and he goes give me 10.min the boss insn't here so I'll have to give him a call at home and I go be sure to tell him it's me he comes back and says he said if the the bass and amp are the floor models he'll go my bass and 135.00 if it's new stuff 175.00 and the salesman goes he said said he made the deal just because the other store was being such a dick about it and that he would let me have the new bird and amp for 135.00 anyway.:thu:

• Members

{censored} that place on sheer principle. It is the Walmart of guitar stores....It's all about the local mom/pop store! FTW!
not to mention that every time I go in mine and start fooling around on a bass, some asshole feels it is necessary to sit right next to me and crank their amp louder than mine and play terribly I might add as if it were some sort of competition..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I refuse to go there anymore. It just raises my blood pressure too much.

Archived