School me on mesa base mapz.

abecon5

• Members

I know I love it already. I played it when I was buying bass cabs.
:love:

So does it have valve preamps or what, not really sure how "half tube" works
:confused:

Yes, valve pre, solid state power. Personally I think this is the best set up. Accentuates the best characteristic of each one.

• Members

Yes, valve pre, solid state power. Personally I think this is the best set up. Accentuates the best characteristic of each one.

So obviously the Marshall Valvestates are Hybrids. Cool I always liked that idea. Seemed like the best of both worlds. You get the tone of a Valve (or near enough) and the Reliability of solid state. Very cool.:love:

• Members

So obviously the Marshall Valvestates are Hybrids. Cool I always liked that idea. Seemed like the best of both worlds. You get the tone of a Valve (or near enough) and the Reliability of solid state. Very cool.

True. You also get the tone from a tube preamp, with the tight focus of a solid state power amp.

• Members

I have a Mesa Venture. It is the only combo amp I've ever owned. It is very heavy,but I love the {censored} out of it. Mpulse 600 head with 2-12's at 4 ohms. Been thinking about getting another head and two 2-12 cabinets and using the Venture for a spare. I was concerned about 12s on bass,but now I am completely sold on them. Don't just consider 10s with 15s. Mesa's 15s sound freaking killer by themselves,but the 12s push more low end than the 10s IME. The Big Block 750 is a killer head if you are wanting distortion. If not I think you have more control over the tone with the Impulse. For the difference in price it is a no brainer between the 300,or the 600. Enjoy!!!

• Members

I have a Mesa Venture. It is the only combo amp I've ever owned. It is very heavy,but I love the {censored} out of it. Mpulse 600 head with 2-12's at 4 ohms. Been thinking about getting another head and two 2-12 cabinets and using the Venture for a spare. I was concerned about 12s on bass,but now I am completely sold on them. Don't just consider 10s with 15s. Mesa's 15s sound freaking killer by themselves,but the 12s push more low end than the 10s IME. The Big Block 750 is a killer head if you are wanting distortion. If not I think you have more control over the tone with the Impulse. For the difference in price it is a no brainer between the 300,or the 600. Enjoy!!!

That's a great combo, but I found it distorted too easily when cranked.

• Members

You can distort it but if you use the onboard compressor (seems to be a good btw),back the lo end off a little,turn the horn off,you can get that just when you dig in distortion that we talked about in another thread a while back. Also,the bigger the room,the better this little fu@#$$ seems to carry it!

• Members

You can distort it but if you use the onboard compressor (seems to be a good btw),back the lo end off a little,turn the horn off,you can get that just when you dig in distortion that we talked about in another thread a while back. Also,the bigger the room,the better this little fu@#$$ seems to carry it!

Cool. I like getting my horn off. No better way to play. :D

• Members

I'm about to snag a Titan V12 in a few more weeks. One of the most tubey sounding hybrids I've ever played. I like it better than any of the m-Pulse amps I've ever played. Does a great rock tone.

+1

The overdrive/distortion is to die for...

It's on my list of things that I might buy one day but probably never will. I just think the V12 is too heavy and too expensive for me. Maybe if a good used one pops up I'll consider it...

• Members

+1

The overdrive/distortion is to die for...

It's on my list of things that I might buy one day but probably never will. I just think the V12 is too heavy and too expensive for me. Maybe if a good used one pops up I'll consider it...

I've always liked big amps, and the weight doesn't really bother me. But it is an INCREDIBLE amp.

• Members

My favorite current Mesa is the M-Pulse 600. I love the parametric EQ, it's very easy for me to get a good tone out of it...but I've had a lot of experience with the Mesa EQ (both guitar and bass amps...)

My favorite all time Mesa is the M2000 Basis. Super versatile, pain in the ass to dial in because there are so many options, but that's why I loved it. I just sold mine a few weeks ago :cry:

I've always wanted to try a 400+, but I'd just prefer a vintage SVT if I were going with an all tube amp at this point.

I wasn't a fan of the Big Block 750...I didn't like the overdrive channel at all, and overall I just felt it lacking. Plenty of guys love it's simplicity though.

I've wanted to try the Titan V12, but I fear it would be similar to the BB 750, however the {censored}load of knobs intrigues me.

best Mesa i ever heard and played was the M2000, but you'll have to find a used one... the 400+ was also amazing, but they dont make that one anymore either. that paired with a Mesa 8x10 oor 6x10 would destroy the universe
:D

Experience with you tells me you've never played either of them...:poke:

• Moderators
My favorite current Mesa is the M-Pulse 600. I love the parametric EQ, it's very easy for me to get a good tone out of it...but I've had a lot of experience with the Mesa EQ (both guitar and bass amps...)

My favorite all time Mesa is the M2000 Basis. Super versatile, pain in the ass to dial in because there are so many options, but that's why I loved it. I just sold mine a few weeks ago
:cry:

I've never had my hands on an M-2000. Can you tell me tonally what the difference is between that and the 600? Or is it just more of the same with more available variety of tonal flavor?

• Members

I've never had my hands on an M-2000. Can you tell me tonally what the difference is between that and the 600? Or is it just more of the same with more available variety of tonal flavor?

The M2K had less bass, I'm not really sure how to explain it, but it's something that they are known for. If you wanted to dial in a dub bass type sound, it's not going to happen. It doesn't have thunderous lows or anything...

The EQ was different as well, basically you could get the same sounds out of both...just different ways to do it. I liked the simplicity of the parametric EQ vs the graphic EQ too...

• Members

Well, I currently use a Big Block 750 and an old Road Ready 2x15. I like the Big Block for its simplicity and it has a nice solid tone that I can dial in fairly easily. Also, I use overdrive a fair amount so it's nice to have that footswitchable. And if I need to expand my cabs later, since it can go down to 2 ohms, I should be able to add another 4ohm cab to my 4ohm 2x15.

The 2x15 is actually really nice just kind of heavy. Really full range sounding and super sturdy given it's in a road case.

Archived