Bass through my Marshall head

Mr.Mow

• Members

:love:

I have an 18W Marshall clone, all valve.. bodgied up the speaker in my bass combo so I can run the valve head into it..

nice.. very very nice.. its so fat and warm, my SG bass with flats sounds so woody..

Only problem is the cabinet sounds very bass and bottom heavy (its a Fender B-Dec).

Can't crank it too loud, but loud enough to rattle the windows which is perfect for home use..

What kind of cab would you guys recommend for something like this something like a 4X8? or a 2X10?..

• Moderators

I'll be building a 100 watt Marshall for myself in a couple weeks. :thu: For your 18 watter, I'd use a much larger cabinet. Have you ever heard a low powered tube amp through an 8x10? It's awesome. I don't expect you want to go that large, but something efficient is a good plan. I have a very efficient 1x15 + 1x6 and it matches up with my Tweed Deluxe (2x6V6) very well.

• Members

I'll be building a 100 watt Marshall for myself in a couple weeks.
:thu:
For your 18 watter, I'd use a much larger cabinet. Have you ever heard a low powered tube amp through an 8x10? It's awesome. I don't expect you want to go that large, but something efficient is a good plan. I have a very efficient 1x15 + 1x6 and it matches up with my Tweed Deluxe (2x6V6) very well.

One of the best tones I have heard in ages was my 45 watt YBA-1 into an SVT810E. Every knob, and I mean every knob, turned to 10. Wow. Just wow.

• Members

For your 18 watter, I'd use a much larger cabinet. Have you ever heard a low powered tube amp through an 8x10? It's awesome. I don't expect you want to go that large, but something efficient is a good plan. I have a very efficient 1x15 + 1x6 and it matches up with my Tweed Deluxe (2x6V6) very well.

8X10?!!!:eek:

1X15 and a 1X6 sounds interesting.. even a 12 and a 6 in a cab could be good for me..

That 100w will be awesome!

A guy on ebay here has a Ceriatone 50w JMP clone up at the moment.. If I had the cash I'd be all over it!

• Members

One of the best tones I have heard in ages was my 45 watt YBA-1 into an SVT810E. Every knob, and I mean every knob, turned to 10. Wow. Just wow.

I also for {censored}s n' giggle ran my 5w Vibrochamp into the bass cab.. hee hee hee.. fuzzy!

• Members

There is an Epiphone Valve Jr. (5W, baby) guitar tube head sitting right there near the entrance to the bass room at my local Guitar Center. I am always tempted to "relocate" to the bass room, and hook it up to an Ampeg 1X15 or a Markbass cab.

Anyone do this? I am curious as to the sound. I am not expecting headroom, but some low volume tube-ness would be a good thing.

• Moderators

There is an Epiphone Valve Jr. (5W, baby) guitar tube head sitting right there near the entrance to the bass room at my local Guitar Center. I am always tempted to "relocate" to the bass room, and hook it up to an Ampeg 1X15 or a Markbass cab.

Anyone do this? I am curious as to the sound. I am not expecting headroom, but some low volume tube-ness would be a good thing.

I don't know what "tube-ness" is, but it would be a low volume fuzz fest, which can be sweet.

• Members

I also for {censored}s n' giggle ran my 5w Vibrochamp into the bass cab.. hee hee hee.. fuzzy!

i used to record with a champ running into a 410 or 115.there's really not much headroom to speak of but, a champ right at the edge of breakup (dig in and it gets dirty,back off and it cleans up) running through a good bass heavy cabinet is my ideal of great recorded bass tone.

actually - bass into just about any 6v6 powered amp i've heard just sounds absolutely beautiful on tape.

• Members

I've never tried that. And there's a '65 Champ right over there, about 3 feet from the EVM15L loaded 1X15. I can't believe I never thought of that. Don't think that'd go over too well at 12:40 AM so it'll have to wait.

I used to love my 100 watt Super Lead into my '69 SVT 8X10. It was so awesome it was ridiculous, and so ridiculous it was awesome.

• Members

:love:

I have an 18W Marshall clone, all valve.. bodgied up the speaker in my bass combo so I can run the valve head into it..

nice.. very very nice.. its so fat and warm, my SG bass with flats sounds so woody..

I remember reading somewhere, probably from Bob Daisley, that the Gibson EB basses sounded best through guitar heads, such as the 100w Marshalls.

• Members

6550 or EL34 Marshall?

• Members

EL34. It's the 1959 circuit if you are familiar with the schematics. I'll be building a late 60's plexi superlead/superbass type amp.

Ah, cool. I'm sort of familiar with the design.

My only experience with Marshall stuff for bass has been Bob's 70's MKII Superlead, which has 6550's in it. I'm very interested in seeing what the EL34 configuration sounds like for bass purposes.

• Members

I remember reading somewhere, probably from Bob Daisley, that the Gibson EB basses sounded best through guitar heads, such as the 100w Marshalls.

Thats interesting.. My PBass sounds good through it, but you know, it just sounds like PBass (not bad, worse or anything, just, sort of what you would expect).. the SG though.. it just opens up the sound compared to other bass amps I've tried..

• Members

Post back tomorrow about its radness.

Pics or it didn't happen.
:cop:

Didn't get to try the Champ - looked out the window and my mailbox was having a crisis, so I got to spend the afternoon going to Lowes, digging holes, and playing with cement.

Did dig up the only (horrible) pic I have of the Marshall with the Ampeg cab. I stuck it in the rig pics thread :

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31726829&postcount=105

Archived