n00b question: The "clicking" sound when playing

DeathByGuitar

• Members

I've been playing guitar for quite some time and am now beginning to play bass. The one thing I can't figure out is why my bass is making this clicking sound when playing. It only happens when I pluck fairly hard. Is this normal? If not, what should I do to my bass's action to get rid of it?

• Members

ummm...just play softer?

Actually, this is your answer. After you develop a "soft touch" on the bass you will be amazed at how you can control the tone, the attack, the sustain, and the nuances in volume with just that one hand.

Keep on playing!!!

• Members

Actually, this is your answer. After you develop a "soft touch" on the bass you will be amazed at how you can control the tone, the attack, the sustain, and the nuances in volume with just that one hand.

Keep on playing!!!

+1

Each time you practice make a conscious effort to move the strings parallel to to the pickup, instead of perpendicular or diagonal. Develop good habits right from jump street and you'll be a rockin' bass player in no time!

Edit...

I should add...if you rest your thumb on any of the strings, check to see that they aren't being pushed down to the pole-pieces.

• Members

I've been playing guitar for quite some time and am now beginning to play bass. The one thing I can't figure out is why my bass is making this clicking sound when playing. It only happens when I pluck fairly hard. Is this normal? If not, what should I do to my bass's action to get rid of it?

Ur kidding right?

• Members

Technique is key, as others have said. EQ settings and volume shouldn't matter too much if you play right. Action and string gauge shouldn't matter as long as both are reasonable and the strings aren't super floppy. Really, you just need to attack the strings the right way. Don't pluck them down into the frets/pickups and try to play the strings with only your fingertips. If you get your technique down you should be able to play fairly hard without getting that clacking sound...

Archived