Noobster question. What's an active bass guitar?

BigDaddyMojo

• Moderators

Onboard preamp.

Or powered pickups.

Generally an "active bass" is one that requires a power supply and a "passive bass" is one that does not. Usually the power supply is one or two 9 volt batteries, but there are other types of power supplies. The means for delivering the power and the utility to which the power is put depend on the bass. Most commonly, as hi.flyer said above, an active bass is on that uses a battery supply to power an onboard preamp that includes tone controls capable of boosting and cutting bass/treble/mids.

• Members

Or powered pickups.

Generally an "active bass" is one that requires a power supply and a "passive bass" is one that does not. Usually the power supply is one or two 9 volt batteries, but there are other types of power supplies. The means for delivering the power and the utility to which the power is put depend on the bass. Most commonly, as hi.flyer said above, an active bass is on that uses a battery supply to power an onboard preamp that includes tone controls capable of boosting and cutting bass/treble/mids.

Thanks & Merry Christmas to all of you. M

• Members

What does it do?

it is played just like a passive bass

the battery powers preamps to amplify the sound of the pickup

the preamps are either in the pickups or in the control cavity

they usually have boost and cut on the output frequencies...the cavity models

many non active basses produce better sounds than some actives

its not an indication of quality

• Members

I prefer passive myself but of course YMMV.

Um you know what would be cool? A bass w/ graphic EQ faders instead of the standard 2 or 3 band knobs. Even just for the gimmicky, futuristic coolness factor.
:o

That would be rad until you're rocking out on stage, and your wrist hits the faders, bumping everything up all the way suddenly.:eek:

It would wake up your soundman, though.:D

C7

• Members

That would be rad until you're rocking out on stage, and your wrist hits the faders, bumping everything up all the way suddenly.
:eek:

It would wake up your soundman, though.
:D
C7

I woke up a soundman I was dealing with one time with my Peavey G-Bass. It has an 18 volt zctive pre-amp, and he kept telling me to turn the bass down, mostly because the guitarist was whiney little bitch. The second I did, he walked away to get a drink, I turned my bass all the way up, and added some mids, and man did the soundman/guitarist get a wake up call :eek:

• Members

A bass amp will often have a switch for selecting btwn. +10 for active or -4 for passive basses, or two inputs - one for each type of bass. When the battery is almost dead in my active Ibanez k5 I might have to plug into the low input to get a good signal. Actives are kind of a pain in that you need batteries, but if you like to be able to produce a wide variety of tonal variations then you should consider them.

Archived