Haggling at Daddy's Junky Music on Used Gear

• Members

I've had alot of positive experiences buying used gear from Daddy's - most recently, I picked up a MIK Squier Jazz in very good condition that *was* marked $150, for 5% off, plus a couple of 500k pots for it, and a set of Boomer medium 5er strings for $10 off... I also scored my Spector Q5 Pro from them for $300 in excellent condition...

- georgestrings

• Members

In the long run, I think it benefits us musicians because it helps keep the prices honest.

I see what you're saying, but I don;t really agree with that statement.

If you're dumb enough not to do the research beforehand to see what the going prices are, you deserve to get ripped a new one if that's the kind of store you shop at.

Higher prices don't benefit me or any other musician that I know...unless the store owners are actually musicians.

• Members

I got my used GK Backline 12 from Daddy's. Works alright. was covered in dirt and hair and crap when I got it though. They aren't kidding about the Junky part.

I did have another experience with Daddy's. They had a GK 800 RB on their site for about 200 bucks. I ordered it, then they called me up a week later and said "Er, this thing has half the chassis off and missing all the knobs, and parts are hanging out of it...we can send it, but it's trashed. It does't even appear to work."

So they refunded my money. Their website posting guys are idiots.

• Members

I used to love Daddy's...but their stock quality has seriously gone down hill. I remember like 10-15 years ago they really only carried used stuff, and had some new stuff lying around, but not too much. The used stuff was really cool things, some hard to find. Then they started carrying more and more new items...and now their stores are chock full of beginner stuff, and maybe a few cool items here or there.

That because GC has instated a no haggling policy...with anyone...for anything.

Same here. I used to be there every week on truck day picking something up. I liked the yearly warehouse sale, didn't always find anything but I've also left with a truck full of stuff. It's been downhill since they cancelled the warehouse sale and got into Ebay. Now it's sometimes a month before a newly traded in item makes it to the web site (or never if it's a good deal).

The Ebay thing was OK at first; most things started at 99 cents w/no reserve. Lately it's just broken stuff for too much money.

As far as haggling goes, I used to all the time, but it's harder now. I can still get the price down, but not as much. It doesn't help that staff changes so often. To someone who's been working there a month, nobody's a long time customer. Honestly, I'm not a good customer anymore, since they don't have anything interesting.

Very little used gear of interest. Maybe they've taken the same route as GC, making insulting offers for trade ins. I'd rather take it home and burn it for $25. With the breakdown of the used gear listing on the web, you don't get to see the rare interesting item/good deal since it's sold in the local store before they get around to posting it.

Daddy's people have always been poor at product knowledge. They've listed 4X12 guitar cabinets as "rackmount accessories." You need to know your stuff because they don't. Never believe their descriptions.

Items in the store have always frequently been broken, no less than in GC. The best I could do when I liked something that clearly didn't work was to buy it, have them send it to repair, and evaluate it after it came back; it would still have the full return period if it never left the store and they generally did a good job on it fairly quickly. At that time, I knew the store crew and they realized I wasn't scared to drop serious money for something worthwhile, so they put up with my shenanigans. OTOH I'll NEVER send anything of my own to their shop. They were great with warranty work, so I sent them an amp of mine. They had it on the shelf for a month, after 2 weeks fo calling I got them to actually test it, which took another week. Then they couldn't find the problem and sent it back in another 2 weeks.

At this point the only music shop I still actually like is Union Music in Worcester MA. Don't know if anyone's familiar with it, it's an independant shop. Besides some of the usual riff raff he carries G&L, the only place I've ever actually seen one. Great selection of picks.

• Members

the one here in syracuse are cocksuckers. Will not move 25 cents on ANYTHING period. I was going to take a pair of guitars that were on the shelf for at least 2 years (not made anymore) wouldnt knock $100 off the package deal. $1700 down to $1600 cash!!! that was months ago, still there. will never sell them. I started bitching at the sales guy, he said it was his manager. so i told him to tell his manager to stop sucking so much cock. and left. (yes i'm a big asshole and am also proud of myself)

• Members

I see what you're saying, but I don;t really agree with that statement.

If you're dumb enough not to do the research beforehand to see what the going prices are, you deserve to get ripped a new one if that's the kind of store you shop at.

Higher prices don't benefit me or any other musician that I know...unless the store owners are actually musicians.

AGREED 100% :facepalm:

You still need to do your research and be an educated consumer. Especially when it comes to purchasing musical gear.

Whether or not they're musicians is a minor to me. Most of them are :evil: salesmen first. They live or die by how much they can get out of every customer. I've seen it sooooo many times at the counter when a sale is being rung up to some clueless parent (not their fault) who is buying a $129 Squier Strat for their kid and then get sold the entire bill of goods with a top of the line HSC, Extended Warranty that costs half the price of the guitar.....etc....commision baby!!!!!!!

• Members

the one here in syracuse are cocksuckers. Will not move 25 cents on ANYTHING period. I was going to take a pair of guitars that were on the shelf for at least 2 years (not made anymore) wouldnt knock $100 off the package deal. $1700 down to $1600 cash!!! that was months ago, still there. will never sell them. I started bitching at the sales guy, he said it was his manager. so i told him to tell his manager to stop sucking so much cock. and left. (yes i'm a big asshole and am also proud of myself)

I dunno, dude - most of my Daddy's purchases have come through the Syracuse store - and they've been pretty decent to me.... I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the same, but that's how I'd describe mine...

- georgestrings

• Members

Whether or not they're musicians is a minor to me. Most of them are
:evil:
salesmen first. They live or die by how much they can get out of every customer.

I could give a {censored} if they're musicians or not. I was just giving you a counterpoint to your statement of "it benefits musician's because it keeps the prices honest."

The only musicians that no haggling, honest prices are benefiting are the store employees...

• Members

I dunno, dude - most of my Daddy's purchases have come through the Syracuse store - and they've been pretty decent to me.... I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the same, but that's how I'd describe mine...

- georgestrings

Wow I didn't know there was that many Central New Yorkers here.:thu:

My experience with the Syracuse store is that they're always friendly and willing to help out but when it comes to the big items they don't seem to have alot of selection with what I'm looking for. I've never had any problem in my dealings with them. Always service with a smile and very helpful.

• Members

Probably the best deal I ever got at Daddy's was for a very lightly used Peavey DeltaBlues guitar amp, in the original faux tweed. 15" speaker, 30W tube amp, with a brand new set of JJ Tesla tubes, the footswitch, and the cover - for $250.

Those sell for more than twice that new.

That's a GREAT guitar amp, I think. And I put my bass through it for an acoustic practice last night. ;)

• Members

Wow I didn't know there was that many Central New Yorkers here.
:thu:

My experience with the Syracuse store is that they're always friendly and willing to help out but when it comes to the big items they don't seem to have alot of selection with what I'm looking for. I've never had any problem in my dealings with them. Always service with a smile and very helpful.

the salesman was fine. i didnt say they were dicks personally. but myself and my buddy from another band were in there a few times. and they seem they would rather let something rot on the shelf (the manager anyways) for 2 years rather than knock $5 off it. He was obviously getting very uncomfortable because i was getting pissed that i was going to hand him $1600 on two identical guitars that I KNOW have been sitting there for two years. All i wanted was $100 off the package deal. I refuse to go to daddys again. I hate to go to GC either but at least when i was looking at an explorer there i complained about a few small scratches and he immediatley knocked $100 off. HATE music stores other than for strings, and neccesary things. If your a real gear head, you cant even walk in one for 5 minutes without getting your intelligence insulted.

• Members

Wow I didn't know there was that many Central New Yorkers here.
:thu:

I scope their used gear page on a regular basis, and they bring things in from other stores for me - without any obligation to buy, if I don't want it... The last Syracuse manager treated me outstanding in every way - the current one has done OK by me for the most part...

- georgestrings

• Members

I ordered my SVT-CL from Daddy's back in '99 I think.

When the package arrived at my door, i looked like someone had thrown it down the steps. The side of the box was completely ripped open, and packing peanuts were spilling out of it. I get it inside and open it up, and one of the knobs was broken off and missing, had no power cable, a big gash in the tolex, and no name plate. This is an 80lb. amp and they only did one wrap with really thin bubble wrap, tossed it in a flimsy card board box, and threw in some peanuts. I was really pissed and let some poor sales guy have it over the telephone. This guy was tryin to tell me they were gonna fix this amp and send it back to me. I told him they were gonna send me a different one, or give me a refund. They really tried to give me the runaround on this, but I made a pretty big stink about it, so they did eventually make it right. When the new amp arrived, it looked like new, and was double boxed and wrapped up right. Glad i didn't let those assholes take atvantage of me. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll shop there again.

• Members

the salesman was fine. i didnt say they were dicks personally. but myself and my buddy from another band were in there a few times. and they seem they would rather let something rot on the shelf (the manager anyways) for 2 years rather than knock $5 off it. He was obviously getting very uncomfortable because i was getting pissed that i was going to hand him $1600 on two identical guitars that I KNOW have been sitting there for two years. All i wanted was $100 off the package deal. I refuse to go to daddys again. I hate to go to GC either but at least when i was looking at an explorer there i complained about a few small scratches and he immediatley knocked $100 off. HATE music stores other than for strings, and neccesary things. If your a real gear head, you cant even walk in one for 5 minutes without getting your intelligence insulted.

That is ridiculous that they wouldn't knock any money off.

I haven't been over there in a few years but unless somethings changed you can't beat House Of Guitars.

• Members

I scope their used gear page on a regular basis, and they bring things in from other stores for me - without any obligation to buy, if I don't want it... The last Syracuse manager treated me outstanding in every way - the current one has done OK by me for the most part...

- georgestrings

They are good about bringing gear in. The problem is, when I want to buy something like a guitar or bass I'm not going to buy the first and only one I play. I like to try out more than one. It really wouldn't be feasable and I wouldn't feel right having them order five American Jazz Basses so I can try them out (I don't think they even had one in stock). So for the most part that automatically knocks them off the list when I'm going to buy a new guitar or bass.

• Members

I've bought a few amps and a couple cabs from Daddys. Always been treated pretty well. I've haggled on things and got 10% or 15% off but it was usually a good deal to begin with. I have never brought anything in for trade-in because I can do much better on CL. I suspect a lot of people do that.

Archived