NDVDD: Avenged Sevenfold: Live In The LBC

RSBro

• Members

Holy. {censored}.

I just thought I liked A7X before this... Arguably one of the best live DVD's I've ever, ever seen.

I KNEW I should have gone to the "Taste of Chaos" Tour earlier this year, because this is what was filmed, back "home" in SoCal... :facepalm:

I really can't see how you can put on a better show. Their stage is wide as {censored}, with up to 4 different levels on the stage for you to run around on. The lighting and pyro was stuff I'd never witnessed before- who syncs up their pyro blasts to the kick drum!?! Nuts I tell ya!

About as good as stage presence as you can have, also. Zakcy V and Gates do a lot of their solos back to back which IMO is a pretty cool effect if you're doing unison solos. Everyone but Johnny Christ (bass) does the backing vocals and The Rev does some of the lead stuff at some points. Leads to the argument that even if everyone can't sing as well as the frontman, layers make up for it. I tend to agree at this point.

The mixes were excellent. You can really hear Johnny in the mix and it sits very well when both guitarists go off for their solos. Not a lot of dropping out which is great.

It was billed as "Unedited", and I'm probably going to agree with it. There were some mess ups as far as cues for solos or fills go, and the vocals waver a lot with Zacky and Syn doing BGV's, which could have easily been edited out from not having the camera show that part or re-doing it in the studio. DVD's that sound like the record aren't much fun for me, and most of them are nowadays, anyhow. I like to hear the {censored} ups, b/c it happens to everyone. :)

But yeah, it's about as high energy and ridiculously well-executed as a band that you can find right now. I think I know why some other "metal" bands talk {censored} about A7X, and that's because they can execute and out play most of them off the stage. Their cover of "Walk" absolutely kicks Disturbed's in the ass, and each show they had someone come up and sing the first verse. The guy from the audience NAILS it and they leave him up on stage off to the side the rest of the show. Pretty sweet.

They play a few old songs too, including "Second Heartbeat" which is my fave song arguably by them.

During "Scream" you get a nice little surprise too... ;)

Anyway, love 'em or hate 'em, it's hard to outperform them at this level. I watched the Iron Maiden "Rock In Rio" show I'd DVR'd afterwards and fell asleep in the 3rd song... :bor: It was quite meh by comparison.

• Members

My current measuring stick for live DVD's is Shaaman's Ritualive. Had to have it mailed to me straight from Brasil.

Before that, it was Queensryche's Operation: Livecrime. It's STILL a close second.

I'll get this A7X dvd for my brother. We'll camp out this weekend.

• Members

Haven't seen the DVD. Wasn't overly impressed when I saw them. They weren't BAD...(DragonForce were BAD...) but they didn't exactly blow me away. That was a few years ago though...

haha dragonforce are bad.

im not really a fan to be honest rsb, but there not too bad.

best dvd ive seen recently came from paramore with the final riot, really good performance they change alot of songs live and they all rock out big time on stage.

• Members

Haven't seen the DVD. Wasn't overly impressed when I saw them. They weren't BAD...(DragonForce were BAD...) but they didn't exactly blow me away. That was a few years ago though...

Yeah I can see that. I usually give bands a few chances though. And here lately they really put out for when they're filming a live DVD, so that could be a lot of it.

Regardless, it's pretty damn kickass! :thu:

Archived