The Official SX "Yay VS Nay" thread

DevilRaysFan

• Members

I know a teenager I recommended SX to. He just received his. It is impressive for three times the 109.99 price.

Why did he pay 3 times the $109.99 price? :idk:

Seriously, I played one and would not waste my money. Or anyone else's for that matter.

• Members

Why did he pay 3 times the $109.99 price?
:idk:

Seriously, I played one and would not waste my money. Or anyone else's for that matter.

He's saying the bass is worth more than it cost; as in it's a good value.

I've never played one and said "geez, this isn't worth $100". Some people hype them up to be more than they are, but I think few people will venture to say that, for what they cost, they are bad buys.

"Well you could just buy a squire that doesn't need any tweaking blah blah". Yeah, and the squire costs 2x as much. Apples/oranges. :idea:

They're good for what they are. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Members

I'd rock one out if they had a banana yellow one. :love:

Then sell it to a good friend after a while. :o

I'm not really into buying a lot of basses, though. I'll stick with two or three.

If it's for someone else who wants to learn or for me to mess around with, I'd probably get an SX. Or a cheap Yamaha on CL.

I'm not saying they're {censored}ty, but...

Stop buying basses {censored}ty enough to want to ever sell
;)

I always try to keep that in mind. :thu:

• Members

I bought an SX jazz bass for $25 as a parts bass a while back. The guts were so corroded they didn't work, so I soldered the pups stright to the input jack. The thing sounds great. I have no idea if they are the original pups though. The bass for the most part is pretty shoddy, but it would get you through a gig...

• Members

I have two SX jazz basses. Like OBM said, they make a great canvas for learning and a catastrophic error doesn't really cost too much (financially or emotionally). I defretted the neck on my first one as well as doing all the other common upgrades. I prefer my SX DIY fretless to the Squire VM fretless that I had for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought my two SXs for the sole purpose of hot-rodding the living daylights out of, and learning some things about instrument maintenance in the process. My SX jazz is as close to a '62 stacked knob Fender as I'm going to - or willing to - get to, and the SX precision went through a number of relic'ing options and pickup/electronic configurations.

For the meager amount I spent on them, the two SXs fit my purposes very well. I'm a big fan of "in the field" training, and the possibility of screwing something up on an inexpensive instrument was worth it. I wouldn't have tried half the things I did with my other basses. The fact that I'm gigging with them on a semi-regular basis is just a bonus.

They are great for this type of stuff...

• Members

SXBG205.jpg

I bought one of these in translucent Red as my first five-string. I had seen too many folks trying to sell off really nice 5ers because they didn't end up using the low string and I didn't want to be stuck with an expensive bass that I might not like.

For $270 in a case, shipped to my door brand new I got a bass that plays great! sounds good and isn't just a Fender copy! I used it as my main axe with no mods for 3+ years.

I moved on to a few nicer 5's, but have kept this one in playing condition as a rehearsal instrument. It has been out of reach at a friends house for quite some time and I had that friend bring it to rehearsal last night. the strings are 3+ years old, but it still played great and sounded very good!

I've been lcky enough to have a contact at Molson beer and she sent me a bunch of the Molson Export labels, fresh, never glued onto a beer bottle (along with the matching neck-bands) and I'm going to plaster the front of this bass with Molson labels. DOn't ask why. I don't feel that any American beers warrant the love. I'm actually planning on taking this to every gig as my backup (after seeing how well it plays last night, I'm kind of back in love with it a bit, but it still can't touch my Stiletto Studio....

So I voted Yay! the 4 other SX's that I've encountered were all pretty solid (including a black version of this bass that I recommended to afriend) so for the money, I say they can't be beat.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Still mourning the loss/sale of my Lake Placid blue 5 string Jazz copy. I wish I had it back now that I know something about replacing the electronics, i.e. pups, pots, shielding, etc.). Thinking about buying another SX to try my hand at fretless. Suggestions? (Would buy a fretless SX neck if someone is selling one.)

• Members

I have had a total of 5 SX basses and 1 SX guitar. I voted Yay!

The cost/value ratio is fantastic...I don't care what the nay-sayers say. Are they top-notch? No. Do they compare to my MIA Fender P or even my MIM Fender Deluxe J? No. Do they even come close to my Carvin? No. For what they are, they are fantastic and they are a hell of a lot of fun to mod into something far exceeding their original value.

Of the 6 SX instruments I originally had, I sold two basses, and gave one bass to my son. He loves that bass...and if I didn't think it was good enough for him to learn on, he wouldn't have it...he'd have something else.

I have a fretless J that I really enjoy playing...and I bought it for almost the same reason as Bassred bought his 5er...because I didn't know if I would like playing a fretless and didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ on something that I wasn't likely to want to keep. I enjoy playing it, but not enough to invest in something nicer. I will most likely make further mods (already upgraded pots, jack, cap and wiring...as is done on all of my SX basses)...but for the most part it stays as is.

My guitar got new tuners and that's all. I'm not a guitar player and pluck at it like a kid that's never had a lesson. It may end up going to my daughter sometime in the future as she seems to be interested in learning to play guitar. Again...it's good for a first instrument and will be suitable for her to learn on if/when the time comes.

My remaining SX is my heavily modded SX "Geddy Lee Wannabe". This bass has been A/B'd with the real deal several times and I love my SX much better than the actual Fender. My bass has all of the same electronics as the Fender and plays better IMO than the actual one...and cost me 1/2 what the real deal was going for when I got it. Yeah, it has the crappy headstock that they did for a while, but so what? I still love the way it plays and sounds and I had a kickass time building it from two different SX basses. :thu:

I still recommend them to people who are wanting to get started but don't have a lot of $$$ to spend...which seems to be everyone these days.

Archived