svt pro 4

0175westwood29

• CMS Author

SS clipping is bad, mmkay?
:)

I feel quite qualified to comment on such b/c it sounded like complete ass whenever you could see the red light jumping the {censored} out of the chassis. Every break during the song the person would turn around and try to jack with it, b/c you could hear it. This is and was not an isolated incident.

Maybe yours was magic!
:thu::idea:

Yeah, must have been. Dan and I managed to get the only two -4PRO's that work like every other amp ever sold. This is a well-kept secret on the part of Ampeg to cover-up a fatal design flaw. Got it.

Again, the two lights on that amp are peak and limiting. Not sure which you're referring to, because neither indicates clipping, which would be well past the peak indicator staying on permanently (and that's based on my actual use of the amp). I'm not sure how watching someone else's possibly {censored}ed-up gain structure and setup makes you more qualified to comment than two people who've commented based on personal use. Are you completely discounting the possibility that what you saw was a {censored}ed-up signal path?

There isn't some horrible gain section flaw that limits headroom in this amp. It's got just as much dynamic range as any other amp I've played. If the one you heard sounded like ass, it was setup to sound that way.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, must have been. Dan and I managed to get the only two -4PRO's that work like every other amp ever sold. This is a well-kept secret on the part of Ampeg to cover-up a fatal design flaw. Got it.

Again, the two lights on that amp are
peak
and
limiting
. Not sure which you're referring to, because neither indicates clipping, which would be well past the peak indicator staying on permanently (and that's based on my actual use of the amp). I'm not sure how watching someone else's possibly {censored}ed-up gain structure and setup makes you more qualified to comment than two people who've commented based on personal use. Are you completely discounting the possibility that what you saw was a {censored}ed-up signal path?

There isn't some horrible gain section flaw that limits headroom in this amp. It's got just as much dynamic range as any other amp I've played. If the one you heard sounded like ass, it was setup to sound that way.

I guess so. :wave:

• Members

From experience with both GK's and Carvin amps, limiter lights will go on before audible clipping occurs. It just means the limiter is working. Continue to overdrive the pre-amp section further however may produce audible distortion and not the good kind. I've done this with both my GK and my Carvin. Basically if the light is going on too often it's good to push up the master and back off the gain. If you desire more overdrive then do it with some type of effect unit. Basically overdrive is like pain, a little is stimulating but when you push too hard it's like OUCH!!! Take it easy baby!!

• Members

It's almost as big and heavy as what you've got and sounds nowhere near as good.
:facepalm:

i know im not cutting down on the weight im looking at the volume fact.

i know it a shame that im loosing the orange but the only way to make that louder is buy another cab which i can't afford at the moment, or near future.

im only considering it ive never played thru it, im going to go and try out aloud of amps 2moz, including a gk fusion 550 dan.

• Members

i know im not cutting down on the weight im looking at the volume fact.

i know it a shame that im loosing the orange but the only way to make that louder is buy another cab which i can't afford at the moment, or near future.

im only considering it ive never played thru it, im going to go and try out aloud of amps 2moz, including a gk fusion 550 dan.

srsly

VBA400.jpg

never be unheard again

• CMS Author

on the site the svt 4 weighs 18kg which is 8kg lighter than my current amp,

how much a good rack cost? + weigh?

Well Ampeg used to sell a custom one, but I haven't seen them around in a dog's age. Another victim of LOUD's cuts I guess. I'd recommend www.audiopile.net but you're on the other side of the pond and he doesn't ship overseas. Look for something like a Road-Ready or other road case, unless you just use the amp in your home and don't need real heavy-duty protection, where you can use a molded plastic case like an SKB. I'd expect to pay 50-150 Euro's for something decent.

• Members

since your issue is the weight, i'd also suggest Markbass.... they sound amazing and are extremely light, but definitly try them before you buy them... i love the sound of it, but i'd have no use for the sound i got from them in what comes to the tone i'm looking to achieve right now...

• Members

You can add me to Craig and Dan's magic 4-pro list. I have mine at the practice shack now, I hadn't used it in a couple of years, I was pleasantly surprised.

im gonna see what they say bout the clipping thing if they have one im def gonna tryout the beast.

im not concerned about the weight to a point were i'd want to go lightweight, just want something thats louder and they happen to be lighter.

• Members

im gonna see what they say bout the clipping thing if they have one im def gonna tryout the beast.

im not concerned about the weight to a point were i'd want to go lightweight, just want something thats louder and they happen to be lighter.

I'd be mighty surprised if it's any louder. ;)

Archived