Selling all of my gear

bluedogaudio

• Members

...well, not all of it, but I'm getting rid of my SWR gear and I'm looking for a new rig. I currently have a SM900, Goliath 4x10, and a Big Ben, and would like something comparable in volume.

I've been leaning toward something like a Aguilar DB750 and a 4x12 cabinet, or maybe getting a preamp, like a Dememter, and getting a power amp.

Any thoughts? I think I need to take a trip to Chicago to try out some new gear.

• Members

That is a helluva rig there,bro! I used to run the same only with a 2 - 10.Gonna be kinda hard to be in the same ballpark volume wise. Hey,are you bi-amping it,or running stereo? I liked mine better stereo (full range to both cabinets).

I don't know if you'd consider it stereo, but yeah, I'm running both of those channels full range. I'm not a big fan of bi-amping. I've just had so many problems lately with blowing speakers and SWR's customer services has gone down the tubes since Fender bought them out.

• Members

I've been leaning toward something like a Aguilar DB750 and a 4x12 cabinet

I've never heard a rig that gets so low at such a high volume in my entire life. Definitely try this combination out for yourself. It's not all about the lows, but man, I saw a reggae band in a little bar and the bassist was running that rig. Holy {censored}. :eek:

C7

• Members

The Aggie has a wildly different sound than SWR. As much as I dig the SWR sound, the Aggie sound is more refined. The AG500 will be closer to what your used to than the DB750. To my ears, the 750 was very rich and, like, REALLY B-I-G. The 500 was more my speed.

As for a cab, I'd recommend Berg. :)

• Members

I'm just afraid the AG500 doesn't have enough power.

Isn't it 500W?

It got my pant legs a blowin' thru a Berg AE410. That alone is enough to damage your hearing over a 4 hour set, if you plan on gigging regularly.

The 300W SVT has driven countless 8x10s. Granted, it had limited headroom, but we're talking about an amp with much more power too.

• Members

How bad is that thing to lug around?

It is heavy, I've got mine in a rack case that rolls with a fold out handle that also houses a power conditioner and I stuff 3 cables, 3 pedals, a wig, pants and a shirt in the back:facepalm::D so mine can get real heavy (maybe 65 lbs:idk:) but it doesn't bother me really. If I have to go a distance I usually put it on top of the cab (w/casters) or fold out the handle and wheel just the head.

I do love the sound of it though, it's one hell of an amp...I was having a conversation with our trumpet player (Very good active player) after a show a few weeks back and he mentioned the Aggie, I don't remember exactly what he said (we were drinking:cop:) but he was raving about it. I will say that it's definitely one of the most responsive pieces of gear I've ever played on. I really can't imagine ever using another amp.

• Members

I typically love Mesa gear, and I'd love to try some, but where? They have a list of dealers on their site, but I'm not calling around endlessly to track down a Mesa dealer who actually has some bass gear in stock.

Most Guitard Centers have them- unless they cut some jokers a deal and got their license revoked! :D

All of mine I've been to in Texas stock Mesa, and good bit of it too.

• Members

The ones around here don't have jack all in the way of Mesa bass gear.

I'll admit they are getting more rare.

Hell at the one in LA I visited they didn't even have Mesa gear.

Of course, a whole 20 minutes away IS Mesa/Boogie AND the Hollywood store, so I was able to live! :D

• Members

I'll admit they are getting more rare.

Hell at the one in LA I visited they didn't even have Mesa gear.

Of course, a whole 20 minutes away IS Mesa/Boogie AND the Hollywood store, so I was able to live!
:D

There's something like 7 GC's in the LA/OC area, so one would think that you could find them at ONE of them. ;)

• Members

Any suggestions on any other amps? Demeter, Thunkerfunk, EBS????

Actually, if you dig the SWR sound, the Thunderfunk is the REAL SWR. If your only in Madison, it'd be worth it to make it to the next Chi-town GTG to hear Kindness'. I still get a stiffy when I think of that head thru the Aggie GS112. :love:

Anyway, the new Thunderfunk is 750W and would give you plenty of headroom as long as your pushing enough air.

EBS would be a fine choice for a former SWR guy, but it's just not competitive here in the States.

I say, check out the Thunderfunk. Check out the Aggie when your down, as Make N Music had the 500 in stock when I was there last. And find out whether or not you want to stick with a leaner tone, or a phatter tone.

Archived