Cant decide Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee

RollE

• Members

Ive got a MIJ Geddy about a year old and I love it. Took off the old pickguard thingy and made a custom checker-plate one. Id add a pic but I dont know how.

Sounds good, finish is great, factory set up was good, although ive taken a bit of bow out of the neck. Haven't had to make any adjutments to the neck since and its been through winter and summer, and its pretty humid here.

Not a bad bass imo.

Edit:

• Members

MM with sadowski pre-amp? Man, I would buy that as fast as I can if I were you :D

Although the Geddy is nice, the neck is way too skinny for me. You should try it, many people love the geddy neck, but others hate. The only way to know is to try them yourself.

If you can't do that, just listen to me and get the MM. If you don't like it, you can always send it to me and you'll know it will be loved here :love:

• Members

try both, i have played both and i love them, but i'd get the marcus miller, is the one Martin Mendez from Opeth uses, and his tone is very very cool. i actually would love to have any of those two basses, theres nothing that ''this one has it, and this dont'' bewteen those basses. thats what i think. :idk:, i would be very very happy with any of those.

• Members
Sounds good, finish is great, factory set up was good, although ive taken a bit of bow out of the neck. Haven't had to make any adjutments to the neck since and its been through winter and summer, and its pretty humid here.

mine was much nicer after i had a setup done and the frets edged/filed/dressed/whatever. they were a little sharp at the edges. and i did have to tweak the neck with the seasons. had a route put in the body (under the pickguard) so i could do it without removing the neck.

and i added black tuners. :cool: exceedingly cool.

i'd still have it, 'ceptin' i got a Mike Lull J, and never looked back.

• Members

The MM has ash wood, which means it is going to have more percussive sound like for slapping (duh, right?) While the GL will probably have better sustain. I would go with GL. IMO it's a better playing bass.

But oh jesus the roscoe beck is better then both. Played one last week. I loved it from the first note. Besides if you get a GL people might think you're a rush fan. You don't want that do you?

• Members

I thought the Marcus Miller had a much better feel to it. Nicer neck and overall a more solid bass. Before you buy the Geddy you should know the even Geddy himself strips down the neck before using them. His old neck wore out and since the dimensions on his SIG model are the same, he used a neck from the SIG and put it on his real bass. It's a decent bass but the Miller feels like a very good (if not great) bass. Isn't the Miller a bit more expensive? Maybe you should compare the Lakland Darryl Jones SIG to the Miller.

• Members

In your specific case since you found the MM with the nice upgrades i would go that route but generally MM's aren't my favorite jazz basses as they're heavier than hell, i don't care for active electronics or the look of the control plate, don't dig the neck pickup cover but i do think they sound nice passive... Stock, the GL has my vote...

• Members

The MM has ash wood, which means it is going to have more percussive sound like for slapping (duh, right?) While the GL will probably have better sustain. I would go with GL. IMO it's a better playing bass.

But oh jesus the roscoe beck is better then both. Played one last week. I loved it from the first note. Besides if you get a GL people might think you're a rush fan. You don't want that do you?

Really? Man, I really wanted to like the Roscoe, but it just didn't do it for me. Different tastes & styles, I guess.

I recommend the MM with the Sadowsky and Lindys. Those are SERIOUS upgrades.

• Members

Really? Man, I really wanted to like the Roscoe, but it just didn't do it for me. Different tastes & styles, I guess.

I recommend the MM with the Sadowsky and Lindys. Those are SERIOUS upgrades.

Well i play though a active 5 most of the time and really dug the tone, but for a ric fan like you i can see why you didn't like it. If i had a roscoe i would need a good p-bass to get the other side of tone spectrum as wellz. The roscoe could be better looking too.

• Members

I get the tones I need from my Roscoe Beck. I play Teaxas Country and Metal. I just flip a few switches and turn a knob and I am done.:cool:

Well i play though a active 5 most of the time and really dug the tone, but for a ric fan like you i can see why you didn't like it. If i had a roscoe i would need a good p-bass to get the other side of tone spectrum as wellz. The roscoe could be better looking too.

• Members

You're probably right. I got to try a lot of Fender's offerings @ Namm. Despite the cheeziness of it all, I really liked the feel/ sound of the road worn basses. I was expecting to l:love:ve the Steve Harris, but was underwhelmed. The Urge was okay, but I can't get into the looks.

/deraliment.

• Members

I had a GL from 2001 to around 2004. Just recently listened to some old jam tapes with me playing it, and wow, I forgot how great it sounded. It's really too bad I could never get used to the neck.
Ordered the thing out of the Fender catalog, without trying it and was unpleasantly surprised by the feel when I went to pick it up.
However, many other players really love it.

Recently spotted a MM in the music shop, beautiful white finish - I love the look of white, black p/g and maple neck w pearl blocks. The neck felt a lot like the Allparts Jazz neck on my Jazz project. Love it.

The bigger question... why are you limiting yourself to ONLY either the GL or MM? You may even find a Mexi Jazz will do it for you. Try as many different basses out as possible, you might be surprised at what works for you.

• Members

I have a delicate problem. I am looking for a Jazzbass and i have narrowed it down to a Marcus Miller sig. or a Geddy Lee sig.

I have been a Rush fan for years and Geddy is one of my heroes. I am not so familiar with Marcus Millers music but i jut thinks his bass looks and sounds soo cool. I already have a passive Jazzbass but the Geddy sig. also sounds and looks great. Anyone of you fel low bassplayers that owns either a Miller or Geddy bass that can say what u think about them

I had a Geddy Lee and it is an awesome bass. Best bass Fender makes, Period.

• Members

... I would suggest YOU play them both.... It's all personal taste, and you need to find what works for YOU.

+1.

My Geddy is not heavy. I think it's a bit over 9 lbs. I like the looks, and I'm too lazy to putz around with active electronics. I like the growly Jazz tone it gets. Sometimes I want more growl. :D

Sometimes I wish the low end thumped more. Then I remember I have a St. Blues P/J. :D

I don't like the truss access. Like fruno, I also have to tweak the neck about twice a year. But, I like the neck, and I adjust to different neck thicknesses without too much of an issue.

Mine has the Geddy-sound mojo. I just don't have his speed. :D

It was my first bass, ordered by mail without ever having played one, and I have never looked back.

The one thing I would consider today is the price. I bought mine around 689 USD seven years ago, IIRC. (Kashue will chime in here and mention he bought his used at 450, the bastage...).

They're now up to 999 at MF. :eek: That price point would give me a bit of pause, although it's a solid bass...and I would still want the growl and mojo. ;)

Archived