Markbass problem :(

Bob O'Brian

• Members

Hi

I posted about this before but have been very short of time and unable to test things out until now.

My CMP121 combo is acting up. It sounds fine when I first switch on, but after a few minutes it starts to go wrong, sounds to my untrained ears like the speaker is at fault.

I was advised previously that it was a faulty FX loop, but having had a chance to test this can rule that out. Bass, leads, and FX loop all come clean. I even patched from the tuner out to the FX return just in case.

Unfortunately I bought the amp from a company in France so I need to think carefully about how to resolve the issue, since I could end up spending a lot on shipping. If it is a duff speaker, it might be easier/cheaper just to slot in a new one, and in the meantime I can plug in an extension cab instead.

Any thoughts?

:wave:

• Members

What's a filter cap?

I did wonder if the speaker would only show problems after it was 'warmed up'- that seems more like an amp problem in a way. But the sound seems like a dying driver...

a filter cap is a capacitor that filters ripple and noise out of the power supply.the caps in question are usually pretty big and glued on the board.

in general - the glue fails,puts stress on the solder joints and makes the cap have an intermittent connection that gets more obvious the longer the amp stays on or the more it vibrates.

now - all that being said i have not been in a markbass amp yet and there are several other things that can cause the symptoms you're describing.there are also lethal votages present in amplifiers even after they have been turned off and unplugged - so it's probably best to take it to a qualified tech to have it looked at (after you check out kindness's speaker check up there^)

• Members

Let me put on my surprised face. Sell it to some Gear aficiando over at talk bass and buy your self a old school solid state head without all the fancy 5 lb crap hoopla going on.My 49 lb Randall is thourghly abused and I mean abused. Never a problem after almopst 20 yrs of straight up abuse.

• 10 years later...
  • Members
Hi
I posted about this before but have been very short of time and unable to test things out until now.
My CMP121 combo is acting up. It sounds fine when I first switch on' date=' but after a few minutes it starts to go wrong, sounds to my untrained ears like the speaker is at fault.
I was advised previously that it was a faulty FX loop, but having had a chance to test this can rule that out. Bass, leads, and FX loop all come clean. I even patched from the tuner out to the FX return just in case.

Unfortunately I bought the amp from a company in France so I need to think carefully about how to resolve the issue, since I could end up spending a lot on shipping. If it is a duff speaker, it might be easier/cheaper just to slot in a new one, and in the meantime I can plug in an extension cab instead.

Any thoughts?

:wave:[/quote']Hello,what did you do about your amp problem?I have Markbass CMD151P Jeff Berlin and i have same problem.

Archived