Best Growly Tonewood?

Benjamin

• Members

Let's see.....Ricks are made of Maple....Spectors are made of Maple...The Gibson RD Artist and Ripper were made of maple....I'm trying to figure out what these basses seem to have in common....it's coming to me....wait.....yes.....OK, they all growl....a lot.

They also all have humbuckers.

• Members

Let's see.....Ricks are made of Maple....Spectors are made of Maple...The Gibson RD Artist and Ripper were made of maple....I'm trying to figure out what these basses seem to have in common....it's coming to me....wait.....yes.....OK, they all growl....a lot.

Once again Lug, you defy all odds and bring irrefutable logic to the argument.

As others have noted, these things do have humbuckers.

To those who have suggested different pickups etc, let me fill you in on the Bartolini guts. My setup is two Bart MM (MusicMan) pickups (MMC and MMX, for neck and bridge respectively) and the 3 band Bartolini preamp. I have comprehensive switching setups, single coil, series, parallel and phase switching on either pickup and a blend pot. I am NOT ditching this setup because it cost too damn much!

Lug, I know you're using a Bart MM in your (forget it's name) bass. And through your 'recordings' I can hear growl... or is that your missus :lol:

I can get growl out of my present bass, but it is too difficult and not natural. The body on my current bass has cracked near the neck and the wood is basswood or something not particulary resonant, hence the need for change!

Thanks for your replies thus far! I guess the only option is to find some decent slab of Australian Maple, Queensland Maple maybe.

Is there something I should look for in Maple? The most dense and heaviest piece possible? I don't care about weight...

• Members

Once again Lug, you defy all odds and bring irrefutable logic to the argument.

As others have noted, these things do have humbuckers.

To those who have suggested different pickups etc, let me fill you in on the Bartolini guts. My setup is two Bart MM (MusicMan) pickups (MMC and MMX, for neck and bridge respectively) and the 3 band Bartolini preamp. I have comprehensive switching setups, single coil, series, parallel and phase switching on either pickup and a blend pot. I am NOT ditching this setup because it cost too damn much!

Lug, I know you're using a Bart MM in your (forget it's name) bass. And through your 'recordings' I can hear growl... or is that your missus
:lol:

I can get growl out of my present bass, but it is too difficult and not natural. The body on my current bass has cracked near the neck and the wood is basswood or something not particulary resonant, hence the need for change!

Thanks for your replies thus far! I guess the only option is to find some decent slab of Australian Maple, Queensland Maple maybe.

Is there something I should look for in Maple? The most dense and heaviest piece possible? I don't care about weight...

Well honestly, I don't consider my Bart setup (MMC = less top end) to be very "growly" because I located it closer to the neck. If I was looking for growly, it would be positioned closer to the bridge. It's closer to a Pbass position. Here's a clip of it...

http://www.box.net/shared/static/3qgrtjua7r.wav

My guess would be denser = better for what you are looking for.

BTW, Rics definitaly don't have humbuckers. :D

• Members

*Looks at Warwick with Ash, Maple and Walnut body, and a SD tone circuit with a MEC humbucker in it*

*plugs it in, and hits the low B*

*grins*

Looks at Aria Pro II SB with Ash, maple and walnut body with rosewood board and passive Aria pickups.

*plugs in, slaps low E*

oooh eeerrr :love::love::love:

Ride the Lightning Motha{censored}a! :cool:

• Members

BTW, Rics definitaly don't have humbuckers.
:D

You're absolutely right. I was referring to the Gibby's :)

Your sound is nice and yes that's placement for you. Having the two MMs, one close to the bridge should bring the growl for me.

I think the choice of wood (be it Maple, Ash or Mahogany or whatever) is going be a small factor for my situation. ANY of the above will be infinitely better than the lightweight, dense-as-sea-sponge basswood or whatever body the Epi Ripper was equipped with. She has some sustain, but in terms of resonance and girth of tone, none of that exists.

Thanks everyone! Going looking for a nice blank of Queensland Maple or similar.

• Members

Well honestly, I don't consider my Bart setup (MMC = less top end) to be very "growly" because I located it closer to the neck. If I was looking for growly, it would be positioned closer to the bridge. It's closer to a Pbass position. Here's a clip of it...

http://www.box.net/shared/static/3qgrtjua7r.wav

My guess would be denser = better for what you are looking for.

BTW, Rics definitaly don't have humbuckers.
:D

Ah, I love Lug clips... After a quick listen my bowels just go. No bran needed!

• Members

One of the basses in my arsenal is a Jazz made from a Warmoth body, with Quarter Punder Jazz pickups, and an Allparts neck.

The Mahogany has more of a chunky ring to it.

I'm now wishing I went with either swamp ash, or regular ash.

Instead of growl I got ping.

A few years back I had a Geddy Lee Jazz, which I believe was alder, and thunderin' jesus that thing had growl.

Archived