Vista leaves empty folder structures behind after I move folders+files.

philthygeezer

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I have had this problem for months or years using Vista. All the files are moved from one drive to the other, but the empty directories are not deleted from the source drive.

I happen to be using network drives with a map, but it happens to me even without that. And no, none of these files or directories are in use by any process.

AND HERE IS MICROSOFT'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION FOR THIS BUG. You are gonna just love the solution. ......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968844

• Members

Solution:

Delete these blank folders manually.

This solution gets a Spill.com rating of "{censored} You!!".

What a bunch of assholes!! They've known about the problem since 2007 and this is the solution in April 2009?

There's a giant hole in the bucket: Fix it, dear Henry!

• Members

This solution gets a Spill.com rating of "{censored} You!!".

What a bunch of assholes!! They've known about the problem since 2007 and this is the solution in April 2009?

There's a giant hole in the bucket: Fix it, dear Henry!

you need to ease off a bit old chap...

• Members

I have had this problem for months or years using Vista. All the files are moved from one drive to the other, but the empty directories are not deleted from the source drive.

I happen to be using network drives with a map, but it happens to me even without that. And no, none of these files or directories are in use by any process.

AND HERE IS MICROSOFT'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION FOR THIS BUG. You are gonna just love the solution. ......

What an interesting first post to make!

• Members

I would not move the files/folders.
I would copy them to another disk, then go back and delete the originals after I was certain that they had all copied correctly.
Try the "copy to folder" function, especially when you are moving a large number of files.
cheers:)
C.

• Members

Vista SUCKS!!! I run MasterCam for my business. It pretty much put me OUT of business for about two weeks. It changed all my file names and extensions, moved them, {censored}ED with them and lost quite a few. Then it cost me even more money to have it stripped off both new computers and 98 installed. Whoever came up with that software should be SHOT :mad:

• Members

I would not
move
the files/folders.

I would copy them to another disk, then go back and delete the originals after I was certain that they had all copied correctly.

Try the "copy to folder" function, especially when you are moving a large number of files.

cheers:)

C.

Not directed at you, but just a rant about Vista.

Sounds like a lot of work for something the OS should do anyway. a When you move stuff that's on the same partition it doesn't move the actual data but just "says" it's somewhere else. When you copy and pste some files to creates a copy, naturally. Assuming that you're having to copy something on the same partition then delete the old one you're writing more and deleting more on the HD causing it to to work more. The things work the shorter their lifespan. While it may not effect it a noticeable amount, it is effecting the lifespan. Plus a major OS that you pay for and has been out for how many year shouldn't have this type of problem. I could see this in a beta or something but in a final OS from a company. It's not they don't know about it either, they just haven't fixed it(for 2 years too). This is why I stay away from Vista and dislike MS.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

you need to ease off a bit old chap...

Just came back to post the solution I think is working now: Teracopy

Also, I don't think an OS that can't even move files properly deserves any respite at all. It's completely unconscionable that MS even released this POS operating system, and for them to not fix such a basic bug is a giant slap in the face to those of us who had enough faith to spend money on it.

Archived