OT: Your other favorite hobbies

Armchair Bronco

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its not knitting dammit!
:mad::lol:
i just yank a piece of yarn through a plastice or canvas grid thingie and make a rug or pillow. but i could make ya a pillow, whens your b-day?
:D
:p:lol:

I know what it is, I did that as a Cub Scout when I was 8. :poke:

I made a Christmas Tree ornament.

It was a skull. :poke:

• Members

I was considering trying to find an S13 240 SX shell in good condition and drop in the RB26DETT motor (from the Skyline R33/R34 GTR) and have an inline 6 twin-turbo RWD car...that if built can produce upwards of 1350 bhp, and have enough torque to be absolute ridiculous...but decided not to because I couldn't justify 10k+ on a car "just for the heck of it" (or to outrun one of my friends worse than he's ever seen at the strip)

Someday, my car will look like this. But slightly (read alot) more subtle.

pr_race_erik.jpg

I talked to that guy by email once. IIRC, he's probably "invested" well over 20 grand in that car. He said it would set me back about 10 grand to get mine race-competitive.

• Members

I talked to that guy by email once. IIRC, he's probably "invested" well over 20 grand in that car. He said it would set me back about 10 grand to get mine race-competitive.

It would cost you at least that much to make the car race worthy (a decent cage alone will eat up most of that budget). But it would take a hell of a lot more than that to make the car competitive in any class (even if it's an M6). There's only one guy I know of who is competitive with an E28 M5. But that car is a monster.

The E24 is just too heavy and the engine displacement is too big. On top of that, you don't have the selection of suspension components to make the most of the chassis. You don't even have enough room in the wheel arches to fit decent rubber (and cutting them to add fender flares would put you right into Modified). With even a few basic mods, you'd find yourself in a Modified class up against very well prepared E36 and E46 M3's that are lighter, more powerful, brake better, and handle better.

Still, the E24 is a great looking car that's fun to drive on the track.

• Members

It would cost you at least that much to make the car race
worthy
(a decent cage alone will eat up most of that budget). But it would take a hell of a lot more than that to make the car
competitive
in any class (even if it's an M6). There's only one guy I know of who is competitive with an E28 M5. But that car is a monster.

The E24 is just too heavy and the engine displacement is too big. On top of that, you don't have the selection of suspension components to make the most of the chassis. You don't even have enough room in the wheel arches to fit decent rubber (and cutting them to add fender flares would put you right into Modified). With even a few basic mods, you'd find yourself in a Modified class up against very well prepared E36 and E46 M3's that are lighter, more powerful, brake better, and handle better.

Still, the E24 is a great looking car that's fun to drive on the track.

You're right, the 24 is heavy, but that dude knows his stuff, so I'm sure there is something to what he is saying. That isn't to say you're necessarily wrong though.

• Members

You're right, the 24 is heavy, but that dude knows his stuff, so I'm sure there is something to what he is saying. That isn't to say you're necessarily wrong though.

I'm sure it's possible with the right budget, especially if you can find an appropriate class in a vintage racing series. Big bore BMWs tend to do better in vintage racing since they're up against muscle cars with clumsy handling.

It's just tough to make an E28 or E24 competitive against modern cars. You'll still see the occasional '02 or E21 doing well in club racing, but that's because they have

• Members

Unfortunately, the drift kiddies have driven the prices of the 240SX and RB engines into the stratosphere. Nowadays, you can buy a clean BMW E36 M3 for the same money as a clapped-out 240SX. Literally.

The whole point of the 240SX was that it was a decent (but not great) handling RWD car that was cheap as dirt. Basically, a disposable RWD car. That's why people started drifting with them. They are too heavy and the handling is too lazy/sloppy to be any good for much without serious modifications. The minute the prices climbed, they began to make no sense.

There's no point in having that kind of power in a crap chassis. Most folks stick with tuned SR20DET engines and find that around 400 hp is plenty for that chassis. If you insist on an RB engine, stick with the single-turbo RB25DET and stop at 500 hp. Otherwise the car will be undrivable.

Even if you had a 1350 hp 240SX, your buddies in a properly set up supercharged Mustang or Camaro would leave you for dead. They'll be half-way down the dragstrip before your car has even begun to hook up. And that's assuming you don't just blow up your half-shafts and/or transmission on the launch
:lol:

Oh trust me, I know. That's why I ended up going with my Teggy, which will never be very fast, but I'm finding it a BLAST to drive so far. This is my first car with 4 wheel disc brakes, and I LOVE the feel of the handling with the suspension. Mmmmm.

I've also considered the fairly expensive, but apparently fun to drive twin-turbo V6 Camaro setup...but again...what's the point? There's nowhere to actually really race around here, and that much money "for the heck of it" is pointless.

• Members

Oh trust me, I know. That's why I ended up going with my Teggy, which will never be very fast, but I'm finding it a BLAST to drive so far.

You'd be surprised. I had a student show up with a completely stock Integra Type R a couple of summers ago. Stock suspension, stock brakes, and street tires (Yokohama Advan Neovas). I had never been in a Type R before, so I was very interested to see how it did.

I was totally blown away. The car was SO quick in the corners and the chassis was SO well balanced. Felt almost like a well sorted RWD car. I was very, very impressed.

I'd take an Integra over a 240SX any day.

• Members

You'd be surprised. I had a student show up with a completely stock Integra Type R a couple of summers ago. Stock suspension, stock brakes, and street tires (Yokohama Advan Neovas). I had never been in a Type R before, so I was very interested to see how it did.

I was totally blown away. The car was SO quick in the corners and the chassis was SO well balanced. Felt almost like a well sorted RWD car. I was very, very impressed.

I'd take an Integra over a 240SX any day.

That's a Type R...Type R's are exceptions to LS' even though mine will be very type-R ish when I'm done.

• Members

I'm sure it's possible with the right budget, especially if you can find an appropriate class in a vintage racing series. Big bore BMWs tend to do better in vintage racing since they're up against muscle cars with clumsy handling.

It's just tough to make an E28 or E24 competitive against modern cars. You'll still see the occasional '02 or E21 doing well in club racing, but that's because they have

Yeah gotta love those vintage 02's.

I ain't denying it. My ride is a straight up land beast.

One morning, I was getting 9 mpg. Downhill.

Archived