Cheap bass pickups?

electricface

• Members

Hey.

I got myself a peavey milestone for $40.

The guy who sold it to me said it works, but when I got it home, zilch. well, not exactly zilch, just about 5% the volume it needs to me.

i'm gonna be redoing all the soldering throughout, so I thought I may as well do some upgrades. Due to the price I'm probably covering this with stickers, setting the body on fire, putting a vibrato of some sort on the bridge, so I thought why not start out with some insane electronics?

It's currently a P-bass-esque setup.

I was thinking P-bass pup(same place, maybe replace), jazz bass bridge pickup, and a minihumbucker or something else oddballish in the neck. I also thought of doing 4 single coil-sized rail humbucker pickups, running from the neck end to the bridge end, thickest to thinnest strings. Then wired in series. Basically the output and definition provided by active pups, but not the cost. And it would look awesome, too.

Anyway, give me some more crazy ideas. I've got a cheap bass, soldering skills, a $~100 budget, a chisel, and time.

• Members

here's an interesting budget pickup selection from some dude I found on ebaY a several months ago.

you might consider a bridge upgrade, too. The Gotoh 201 is a favorite here, and only about $20.

but also check the above vendor for some 'interesting' budget bridges too.

I haven't bought anything from them yet but I may experiment with a few items later this year.

• Members

here's an interesting
from some dude I found on ebaY a several months ago.

you might consider a bridge upgrade, too. The Gotoh 201 is a favorite here, and only about $20.

but also check the above vendor for some 'interesting'
too.

I haven't bought anything from them yet but I may experiment with a few items later this year.

New bridge? alright, I didn't know that was an important thing.

I'm also wondering about the idea for the 4 hot rail style pickups, any of you have any idea how well that would work?

Archived