Need advice on Epiphone EB-0. Upgrade or use as paperweight?

tenoken

• Members

I bought an Epiphone EB-0 a few months back for $199.

epiphone-eb-0-sg-bass-cherry.jpg

I really like the look and feel of this bass, but as many of you know the low E is flabby and weak. One bass tech told me its because of the short scale, the E doesn't have enough length to vibrate properly...

I want to decide what to do with this thing. I won't get much money if I sell it, so I'm almost thinking I should keep it and try to improve the sound...

Anyone have experience with upgrading one of these, with a better pickup? I'd consider modifying the body with a non-SG pickup if it'd help.

Thanks

• Members

you can do what I did... bust out the router and get a sidewinder out of an eb-3 (thanks renfield) and put in there.

I know adding a mid position or bridge pickup SHOULD have brightened the sound up, but somehow it made it more full in the bottom end.

DSCF0280.jpg

• Members

I went to Guitar Factory and the head tech told me to put HEAVIER strings on the bass, just like BigPig said. The tech told me that the string comes to pitch faster so it's less wobbly. The only downside is that it tend to bow the neck.

Not sure that I wanna install the EB3 pickup in there. If the heavier gauge doesn't make an improvement, I might just sell this thing on Craigslist and get something else.

Archived