Possible Trade for a Peavey Millenium BXP 5 String

hammer744

• Members

I found this on my local craigslist

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1032301492.html

I've wanted to get a 5 string, and I have three 4 strings now - my main Fender, and 2 Yamaha RBX270J's. I've offered up my black Yamaha for this as a trade (I paid close to $400 CDN for it new about 5 years ago). We'll see what he says.

Anyone with experience or opinion on this bass?

Thanx in advance.

Jeff

• Members

I've got one of them.

Overall, it's a very good bass. It has the best balance of any 5 string I've ever played. Comes in at about 9 - 9.5 lbs and the extended upper bout makes it hang very nice from the strap. I don't recall what the string spacing is right away, but it seems a bit tight so I'm guessing 17mm.

I've got Ken Smith Bass Burners on mine, and the strings can be loaded through the body. My B is a .125 and it's not floppy at all. Although it does tend to have that "dead" sound that B's can have at time. Overall the PU's are on mine are passive and sound pretty good. There is plenty of room in the control cavity that if you choose to upgrade you would have room for a preamp etc...

Tonally it's very jazz sounding with more of a thumpy motown vibe and less of a bright zing.

Overall I got mine on ebay and I was very lucky as I paid much less (147 + shipping US) than I thought I would need to in order to get it.

Oh the colors on these are always interesting. Mine is a transparent black, but it almost comes off as brown, depends on the light. I've seen some that look purple so look at it and play it if you can.

If you have any other, more specific questions feel free to ask.

Or, I'd trade you mine for the RBX270J ;)

• Members

i like the 4 string version.... very punchy sound and overall its one of the best basses for the money i've ever played..... the thinnest neck i've played.

the 5 string version is cool, but the 5th string is a bit floppy and it's a bit muddy too... it's still a cool bass... but if you want a 5 stringer i'd go for a G&L Tribute, they're relatively cheap and they're great.

Archived