Looking for a good Violin-Style Bass (best bang for my buck options)

V

• Members

Ok, so I really like the sound of the Hofner-style Violin bass and I think it would work really well for my kind of music. I am not too keen on spending 2 grand on the top-shelf Hofner since I'm mainly a guitarist/singer/songwriter looking for a nice recording bass.

I have tried the Epiphone Viola bass and liked it well enough, but I wanted opinions on what might be the best Violin-style bass for its cost. For instance, how do the lower-end Hofners compare to the Epiphone? etc.

Also, I often like the bass sounds I hear on Deerhoof records. Does anyone know what Satomi uses?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I have a Hofner Contemporary. It's a dead on copy of the higher end bass and plays and sounds great.

I'll have to see if I can find one in a music shop around here. It seems like it's probably a really good value for the 700-800 that it costs.

Ideally, I'd like to try out all these basses side by side, but that sounds like a unlikely proposal.

• Members

All of the budget violin basses out there (Epi, Rogue, Hofner, Turser) that I have played have felt basically the same to me. Are they all made by the same company? Wouldn't surprise me. All have been very nice.

MF has the Rogue for $199 right now. That's the one I'd go for.

• Members

I think I'm going to stop by my local GC tomorrow and see if they have any V-style basses.

My local guitar shop is selling an Epi, but they want like 500 for it for some reason. It plays well and everything, but jeez. If I'm going to go up in that range i might as well get the Hofner CT.

• Members

I think I'm going to stop by my local GC tomorrow and see if they have any V-style basses.

My local guitar shop is selling an Epi, but they want like 500 for it for some reason. It plays well and everything, but jeez. If I'm going to go up in that range i might as well get the Hofner CT.

That Epi should be in the $300 range. I played one at a local store, pretty cool little bass.

• Members

Ok, so my local GC had an Epi (which needed a setup pretty badly, but sounded ok aside from having a nasty buzz because the action seemed pretty off) and a Rogue, which I didn't like the sound of too much. They don't stock the Hofner models, but said I could have them order one and, if I decided against it, have a full refund.

I am leaning a little more towards the Hofner CT at the moment. I was talking to a friend who has tried them side by side and said the Hofner sounded quite a lot better to his ears. Maybe I'll see if they can order one for me or check out a few more music shops.

Archived