Texan + ice + old car =

t3ch

• Members
I had to chip through an inch of ice to get into my car this winter....

The trick though....it to chip away at the seams of the door so that you can open it, turn the car on, and there's this handy little setting right by your air conditioning - It's called defrost.....turn that bitch on and you'll be ready to rock in about a half an hour
:D

You're assuming my defroster works properly. :poke:

• Members
Sounds like it's time for homie to get a new car....or at least a new windshield.
:p

Ha ha ha! That's awesome. I know it's not what you meant, but I had a funny image of t3ch standing over his car, "The windshield is cracked, I must get a whole new car!!! Oh me oh my!" haha.

• Members
Sounds like it's time for homie to get a new car....or at least a new windshield.
:p

This happened last month, I just happened to be pulling a bunch of pictures off my camera and forgot I'd taken one. The windshield is long replaced. It's ok, I had $260 burning a hole in my pocket anyways, I was looking to get rid of it.

Also, my car works fine, it's just old and the heater takes time. If I waited for it to heat up sitting in the parking lot I'd be there for an hour :D

And let us not talk about other cars... Or you... You'll make her miss... her... {censored}, too late. :cry:

• Members
You absolutely can loosen ice. I did it on 2 cars. I just happened to break one of the 12 windows I loosened.

Not all of us were born with a parka and scarf. Don't you have some snowmen to make or something :poke:

1 out of 12? Well hell, that's a still a 92% success rate! I wouldn't facepalm that at all! That's better than Obama is doing so far :D

• Members
You're assuming my defroster works properly. :poke:

When the ice is in a sheet like that, the defroster only needs to work a little bit, just enough to warm the glass up and give you a place to slide the scraper under it.
Also, the scraper has a knurled side, that's to scratch at ice like that to give you something to scrape against. My wife didn't know this until last winter, and she's a native.:D

It doesn't ice like that here very often, usually it's too cold to be wet, but there have been a few times where I've felt compelled to beat the hell out of my windshield, so don't feel bad. You just hit it too hard.:D
C7

• Members

Also, the scraper has a knurled side, that's to scratch at ice like that to give you something to scrape against. My wife didn't know this until last winter, and she's a native.

It doesn't ice like that here very often, usually it's too cold to be wet, but there have been a few times where I've felt compelled to beat the hell out of my windshield, so don't feel bad. You just hit it too hard.
C7

Well slap my ass and call me Sherley, THAT'S what that's for :idea:

TLK1500.jpg

• Members
I don't think you understand how bad my defroster sucks
Also, just for the record, I had the heat/defrost on full blast for probably 10-15 minutes before I got to my windshield, while letting the car warm up during deicing both mine and the GF's car.

What kind of car is yours, dude? If your heat takes forever to get hot, it's usually a thermostat that's stuck open. A cheap, easy fix on many cars. If the thermo is accessible, it's seriously a 20 minute job, and you'll need a thermostat, a gasket, and a tube of RTV.
You can spend an extra $20 and replace the hoses while you're at it.
C7

• Members

What kind of car is yours, dude? If your heat takes forever to get hot, it's usually a thermostat that's stuck open. A cheap, easy fix on many cars. If the thermo is accessible, it's seriously a 20 minute job, and you'll need a thermostat, a gasket, and a tube of RTV.

You can spend an extra $20 and replace the hoses while you're at it.

C7

I know, I've done it on every car I've ever owned. I just haven't got around to checking it, and I usually don't have to worry about such a thick sheet of ice.

• Members
I know, I've done it on every car I've ever owned. I just haven't got around to checking it, and I usually don't have to worry about such a thick sheet of ice.

Yeah, if it's 1/2" thick, a defroster isn't going to do a hell of a lot. It will make it a little easier, though.

Also, if your 'hood is anything like mine, you probably can't leave your car running unless you're in it, anyways. If it's not the barrio bandits on patrol looking for running cars, it's the cops writing tickets. So on those lovely -20F mornings, I have to sit in my truck and wait.:rolleyes:
C7

• Members
Yeah, if it's 1/2" thick, a defroster isn't going to do a hell of a lot. It will make it a little easier, though.

Also, if your 'hood is anything like mine, you probably can't leave your car running unless you're in it, anyways. If it's not the barrio bandits on patrol looking for running cars, it's the cops writing tickets. So on those lovely -20F mornings, I have to sit in my truck and wait.
:rolleyes:
C7

There are two cops in the building next to mine, so there are always cruisers out front.

I also don't have an inspection sticker since they replaced the windshield, and my registration is expired... I don't need to beg them to ticket me anymore than I already do.

Geez, you'd think my firefighter license plates would do me some good, but I've gotten like 10 tickets in the past year for all sorts of {censored} :rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members
Geez, you'd think my firefighter license plates would do me some good, but I've gotten like 10 tickets in the past year for all sorts of {censored}
:rolleyes::facepalm:

Sometimes they help, sometimes they actually work against you.

The Littleton Fire Dept. used to hold their union meetings at the bar I worked at, so they gave me a Supporter sticker for my car. The captain told me it would keep the cops off my back, as long as I stayed out of Douglas County, City of Centennial, and City of Englewood (where I lived at the time):D
C7

• Members

Sometimes they help, sometimes they actually work against you.

The Littleton Fire Dept. used to hold their union meetings at the bar I worked at, so they gave me a Supporter sticker for my car. The captain told me it would keep the cops off my back, as long as I stayed out of Douglas County, City of Centennial, and City of Englewood (where I lived at the time)
C7

In all fairness, it's almost always worked to my advantage. The times I HAVE gotten tickets I've usually deserved them, and I've gotten out of more than I've received. I can't believe how many times I've been pulled over up here... 6 years in Texas I get pulled over twice, 2 years up here I've been pulled over probably 10 times.

One cop gave me 4 tickets in one sitting, knowing that I was firefighter, and knowing that I just moved here and wasn't familiar with Virginia law. {censored}ing cock sucker.

But then on the other hand, the other day I was cutting through the airport because I was late to work (this being one of the times I'd deserve a ticket :D). The cop asked for my DL, registration, and FF ID. He saw the tickets in my car for expired tags, asked for those too. I gave him all the documents, he looked at each, handed them back and said, "I'm not gonna give you a ticket, we work together. Get this stuff taken care of. Now you know we're looking for people cutting through. Have a nice day." :lol:

• Members
Well slap my ass and call me Sherley, THAT'S what that's for
:idea:

TLK1500.jpg

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but it made me think of a similar thing that I've always known and yet I've come to learn maybe isn't as common knowledge as I thought it was so thought I'd share.

On most generic style string winders, on one end there is a small cutout on it.... it's for pulling the pins out on acoustic guitars to make it easier for string changing. I am surprised at how many peoples eyes light up when I tell them that. You can see the :idea: coming on each time. :lol:

Archived