NAD!

xbassman

• Members

I wish I could say my DR Bass cab I ordered in Sept was here :mad:, but UPS brought me this today.

It is a Carvin BR515N combo weighing in @ 500W & 40lbs.

I have only played my Peavey through it @ home for about 20 minutes or so, but it is looking pretty killer so far.

First thing I noticed is the compressor built in is really pretty decent and it has a TON of tone options.

I am not sure if I am gonna have rehearsal this weekend, but I'll let you guys know how it goes when I do.

obligatory pic:

crig.jpg

• Members

I don't really know what caused the disdain many forumites here have for Carvin.

I have no preconceived notions of their products since this amp is my first Carvin.

But I gotta say, I am REALLY diggin this amp!

JeffBass, if your BX1200 sounds as good as the BX500 I understand your enthusiasm!

I still haven't used it in a band setting yet (a couple of us have been having health issues), but here's what I have noticed using it here at home.

The eq flat is pretty uncolored, very similar to my GBE-400, maybe a tad brighter.

The mid band para-eq's open up a lot of different tones as does the graphic eq.

The graphic and mute are footswitch controlled.

I am really diggin' the drive control. It adds grit like the GK boost except maybe a little woollier.

This thing seems really loud! I will get a better handle on the power of it when we have our next rehearsal, but using the 15 along with my 112 cab, I can't get the volume to 1 before the walls start rattling.

@ $400 for the head or $600 for a combo with your choice of 2-10 or 1-15 config, I don't think there is a better bang out there right now.

The combos BTW aren't your typical combo.

They put a rack mount on a BX500 head and mount it in a cab/2U airhead.

This way you can remove the head and use it with other cabs if you wish.

• Members

Dude I got a Carvin R1000 that stomps buttocks!!
:cool:

:thu:

I am just interested in stomping a 70W Peavey combo my guitard is using! :mad:

My Genz was hitting the limiter constantly when I play my BEAD bass.

I don't think I will have that problem now! :evil:

• Members

:thu:

I live so damn close to the factory, I should just stop by and see whats up.
:facepalm:

Congrats, and its good to hear that you dig it.

Their stores should have some in stock now or soon. Monday they caught up on the back orders.

I kinda went out on a limb buying it, but i figured if it sucked I could just return it.

• Members

I just purchased the CARVIN NB12NEO off the ebay store after selling one of my ASHDOWN Superfly. So it cost me $84 out of pocket as I was able to sell the Superfly at a profit. I wish they had more specs on the website. I hope i get it for my GIG on 3/21, so I can test it out.

• Members

I just purchased the CARVIN NB12NEO off the ebay store after selling one of my ASHDOWN Superfly. So it cost me $84 out of pocket as I was able to sell the Superfly at a profit. I wish they had more specs on the website. I hope i get it for my GIG on 3/21, so I can test it out.

Hey man, If you're talkin about the NB120 Neo I have a manual right here.

They sent it instead of the BX500 manual by mistake.

I'm off to work right now, but if you need any info I'll be happy to oblige. :)

• Members

Hey man, If you're talkin about the NB120 Neo I have a manual right here.

They sent it instead of the BX500 manual by mistake.

I'm off to work right now, but if you need any info I'll be happy to oblige.
:)

How long did they (Carvin) take to ship this out to you? I heard they are pretty slow to deliver, is that true?

• Members

I don't really know what caused the disdain many forumites here have for Carvin.

mostly, it was the redline series. over-rated power wise, under-inspiring tone wise.

i've not played any of their new stuff, but the RL-1000 i used to have was disappointing at best. YMMV.

• Members

Nice buy! :thu:

I don't have a whole lot of experience with Carvin. All I know is, I used to play drums with a guy that would play bass through a Carvin guitar tube head (probably cause that's all he had). But the thing carried small venues and it sounded good IMO!

• Members

Repeated, negative personal dealings with the company and severely underperforming products with zero resale value. Not hard to do the math.

• Members

How long did they (Carvin) take to ship this out to you? I heard they are pretty slow to deliver, is that true?

Well, my wait time probably isn't indicative on what normal ship time would be for Carvin. I got in on the pre-order before any but a couple of demos were made.

That said, I waited a month which is what I expected.

• Members

It's not even close to start thinking about when that cabinet might arrive. Another year maybe?

Congrats on the new combo.

Yep I hoped for better, since Marc has done right by me in the past twice before. My wife is gonna give him a call in the morning and if he doesn't have a tracking number I am gonna contact the CC company and do a charge back.

It's a shame really, his reputation on the forums has gone to the crapper.

• Moderators

Yep I hoped for better, since Marc has done right by me in the past twice before. My wife is gonna give him a call in the morning and if he doesn't have a tracking number I am gonna contact the CC company and do a charge back.

It's a shame really, his reputation on the forums has gone to the crapper.

It's honestly too bad. Something is going very wrong with that company and it seems to be a different excuse each time I hear it.

• Members

Today I got to take my new Carvin to rehearsal and give it a 2 hour workout.

I sat my Dr Bass 112 cab on top of the 115 combo for a 112/115 stack.

I also took my GBE-400 with in hopes to compare both heads through this speaker combination, but didn't really have enough time to switch up.

I used 2 basses: The "Rachel bass" (p/j Dimarzio's tuned BEAD) and my Peavey Cirrus BXP (tuned EADG)

First off, I had no issues with headroom as I did with the Genz/112. I couldn't crank it since master @ 2 was effin loud!

I actually told my guitard to turn up to match me and the drummer! :eek::facepalm:

The Rachel bass sounded spectacular as it always has just louder and with a little grit added. What really impressed me was the tone I dialed in on my Peavey.

This bass sounds great alone, but I have had tone issues with it not sitting in the mix well. I used the graphic eq to dial up some low mids and got a tone similar to Eden samples I have heard on the web. It really sounded thick and round. Definitely the best tones I have gotten with that bass!

So after one rehearsal (yeah I know...) I am really impressed so far!

Killer tone and a lot of headroom!

So far I am lovin it! :rawk::rawk::rawk:

Archived