A couple of "Loudness Wars" comparisons to enjoy

Crescent Seven

• Members

What gets me is that the "professionals" know how silly this {censored} is, yet they do it to every CD released today. I don't need the CD to be loud, I have a volume knob on every piece of audio gear I own. Some of them have TWO knobs to control volume. I also have controls for bass, midrange, and treble response, and I know how to use them. They need to make the music sound awesome, with incredible clarity and dynamics, and let ME handle the loudness.

C7

+1,000

It doesn't look like we'll be hearing the next "Dark Side of the Moon" any time soon.

• Members
It's pretty bad, but I wouldn't go
that
far with it....
:D

I heard somewhere that they were planning to remix and remaster it. Maybe CBC. Can't remember right now.

I sure hope so, and hope they get it right finally. It took hearing some of the songs live to really appreciate them. The record sure doesn't help!:cool:

• Members

I do not understand this at all

Basically, we're all bitching because modern albums are all over-compressed to hell recorded too hot to give you an artificial sense of excitement. Everyone wants to be "louder" than everyone else so that their tracks "jump out at you" off the playlist on your iPod.

You end up with crappy recordings that are totally 1-dimensional and exhausting to listen to.

• Members

You end up with crappy recordings that are totally 1-dimensional and exhausting to listen to.

I wonder if that is part of the reason for the success of "Raising Sand" (Krauss/Plant).

That album is SPARSE, at least musically speaking, with a lot of "holes" in the rhythm; first time I heard it I felt irritated inside, like I was wanting something "more" to happen.

Then I realized that it's because I've been so accustomed to every damn little hole being filled with some type of sound - a drum hit, or something.

Once I could slow myself down a little and let the music come to me, I really started enjoying that record.

• Members
I wonder if that is part of the reason for the success of "Raising Sand" (Krauss/Plant).

That album is SPARSE, at least musically speaking, with a lot of "holes" in the rhythm; first time I heard it I felt irritated inside, like I was wanting something "more" to happen.

Then I realized that it's because I've been so accustomed to every damn little hole being filled with some type of sound - a drum hit, or something.

Once I could slow myself down a little and let the music come to me, I really started enjoying that record.

You know, I had never really thought of it, but that could be one of the reasons I like that album so much. Well, that and the fact that Robert and Allison sound like singing angels! :thu:

Archived