What's the worste or most painful injury you've had

baracuda2004

• Members

I am either indestructible or very lucky. I broke both of my little toes at the same time in a swimming accident. I broke a rib after skiing off a 60' cliff even though I didn't crash.

I've shot myself/been shot by others with a nail gun more times than I can count. I can't remember how many times I've knocked myself out from hitting my head on pipes, rafters, trusses, ducts and low ceilings back when I did construction.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Probably the most painful injury I had was when I got chemical burned from the waist up one time. The chemical did not get on me; it was strictly the fumes from the chemical and it also burned another guy at the time although his was not as bad as mine.

By the time I got to the hospital I was going into shock and the last thing I vaguely remember is a nurse sticking a needle full of morphine into me.

After that, the next would be a lower back injury that went on for 4 years with half a dozen doctors telling me there wasn't a problem there. Finally someone sent me to the hospital, did some proper diagnosis, and determined I had several badly herniated discs. At that point even a double dose of Percodans was not even beating the pain down.

• Members
OK, I just have to say that you should ALWAYS test for voltage between your instrument and the microphone ... but you should NEVER do it by grabbing hold of the mic and then sticking your arm or hand near the bass strings.
:eek:
That's just a horribly bad idea. If you did actually get hold of something with voltage on it and made contact with the strings, you'd be providing a circuit path straight through your heart. That's how you die, man. It doesn't take much voltage at all to damage or stop a heart. If you want to do a test like that, hold the headstock of your bass up to the mic and see if it pops. Or better yet, get an electrician and a soundman who knows that the hell he's doing, and then you won't have to worry about it. Jesus. That's just horrible.

Dude, I took 245 to the lips from a mic, I'm not worried about normal voltages killing me. :lol:

I've been hit by 120 literally hundreds of times, it doesn't concern me much any more.

• Members

Damn! You guys are accident prone.

I've sprained many ankles, gotten a few oral surgeries (I hate it when they shove hugeass needles in the roof of my mouth) and had misc. stiff necks.

The most painful thing I can remember was waking up in Munich at 4 or 5 in the morning one night after sleeping on a plywood floor for 4 days. My calves were cramping up so badly that I could not move for several minutes, much less bend my feet forward to a normal position. No idea what happened after that, eventually I got back to sleep, though I may have passed out or something, not really sure. When I woke up a few hours later I was fine. Mini leg seizure? :confused:

• Members
Dude, I took 245 to the lips from a mic, I'm not worried about normal voltages killing me.
:lol:

I've been hit by 120 literally hundreds of times, it doesn't concern me much any more.

It doesn't matter that you took 245 to the lips. It also doesn't matter how many times you've been "hit" by 120. It only takes getting current flow across your heart once to kill you. And frankly, saying something like that represents a pretty blatant ignorance of electrical safety. You saw how much it hurt when you got 245 volts through your tongue. Well, going hand-to-hand (or hand-to-forearm) provides a nice current path through your torso, which can easily result in a current flow across the heart. Which can kill you, regardless of how many times you've had 120V go hand-to-foot or whatever.

Getting away with it for a long time doesn't make it any less stupid.

• Members

Worst I've ever had was 13 stitches in my shin after laying it open on the corner of a bed frame. I've also got a visible crack in the enamel of one of my front teeth from bashing it with a 3/8" socket wrench while I was trying to get the oil pan off my '66 Thunderbird project.

But none of that comes remotely close to most of the stuff in this thread. :eek:

I've never broken a bone, and I hope to keep it that way.

• Members

It doesn't matter that you took 245 to the lips. It also doesn't matter how many times you've been "hit" by 120. It only takes getting current flow across your heart once to kill you. And frankly, saying something like that represents a pretty blatant ignorance of electrical safety. You saw how much it hurt when you got 245 volts through your tongue. Well, going hand-to-hand (or hand-to-forearm) provides a nice current path through your torso, which can easily result in a current flow across the heart. Which can kill you, regardless of how many times you've had 120V go hand-to-foot or whatever.

You don't know me very well do you. :lol:

Doing stupid {censored} (and living) is my life's goal, I excel at it.

• Members
You don't know me very well do you.

Doing stupid {censored} (and living) is my life's goal, I excel at it.

It's your life, man; do what you want. :) I'm just saying that if I was running sound at a gig and saw you testing for voltage like that, well, I wouldn't be letting you get near any of my stuff. :D;)

• Members

i lost all the skin from my ears, following an operation that kind of failed?
aside from that, i got beaten up once, and then a few days later my neck muscles started spasming. i couldn't move without screaming in pain, and it was hell getting home and to the doctors.
oh, and i've ran face-first into a brick wall.
go me! :thu:

• Members

I got hit by a car and broke my fibula in two places and dislocated my ankle. They gave me three shots of morphine as soon as they got me in the ambulance, and it did next to nothing. It took me about 7-9 months to recover, and I'll probably have problems with it for the rest of my life. I'm left with a nice scar, and a metal plate with four screws in my leg. Good times!

• Members

Wow. Fortunately I've never broken anything in my life...

A few martial arts injuries of course (both my shin bones have lumps on them, etc), but nothing serious like some of you have experienced...

The worst physical pain I can remember is a bunch of muscles spasming right underneath a shoulder blade. It felt like someone was poking me with a red hot broomstick 24/7. Only thing I could do was eating painkillers like candy and waiting for the muscles to chill the f*ck out. At first I thought it was a collapsed lung or something, I could barely breathe.

But nothing beats the pain, anxiety, dejection and depression I experienced in my teens. Boy, I'd rather put my wiener in a meat grinder than have to go through that again.

• Members

its not the volts so much that will kill you, its amps that you gotta really be aware of. my electronics teacher made this very clear by threatening to make me work on something with heavy amperage if i didnt shut the {censored} up, on an almost daily average :lol: but then of course i had to go a step further and run a length of wire through my labret, septum, and tongue and twist tie it shut.....on second thought, its not the amps that'll kill ya, its the soldering station flying at your head that will :eek::facepalm::lol:

• Members
its not the volts so much that will kill you, its amps that you gotta really be aware of. my electronics teacher made this very clear by threatening to make me work on something with heavy amperage if i didnt shut the {censored} up, on an almost daily average

That's not entirely correct. Yeah, the amps are what kills you, but amps and voltage are related. In short, the more volts you get across you, the higher the amps THROUGH you will be. That's why putting your finger across the terminals of a 9V battery won't hurt you (although it'll give you a tingle if you use your tongue instead), but putting your hands on the hot and neutral of 120V house wiring can kill you.

Working on something with high current levels at a very low voltage is perfectly safe as long as you don't actually touch the conductors. Working on something with very low current levels at a very high voltage ... well, if the voltage is high enough, you don't actually have to touch the conductors for it to get you. At really high voltages it can arc out and get you if you're within several inches (or even several yards, when you're in transmission-level voltages) of the conductors.

Electricity is nasty stuff. It shouldn't be messed around with if you don't know what you're doing, and honestly, most people don't know what they're doing.

Archived