Will selling my SVT-CL and 410HLF cover this?

Renard

• Members

Hello all!

In a fit of youthful gear lust, I bought an ampeg SVT-CL and an 410HLF cab when I graduated from high school.

Now, I have NO USE for this massive amp and never get to play it. Seems a bit silly to have that much equipment under the bed in my dorm room, so I'm thinking of selling it.

I'd rather not go through the hassle of selling it on craigs list or ebay, so I'm wondering how much of a slash I'm going to see if I sell it to GC or a daddys junky music? I'm hoping to get around 1,000 for the head and cab (together, not each, of course). The amps barely played and both are in good condition, though there are a few scuffs here and there.

I'd like to be able to cover the purchase of a Genz-Benz 600 watt shuttle/12 inch cab combo, which runs around 1,200 dollars new. Is this realistic??

Thank you very much!

• Members

I had sold the head on ebay for $1200 and took the cab to GC to trade in on a MB LMII. They said the best they could do for a trade in was $250. My cab was mint and came with a tuki cover. I said that I would pass and the sales guy told me under his breath that I could do a lot better on craigslist or ebay. I sold it to a local for $350.

Either way, I wouldn't expect more than $250 for the cab and maybe $800-$900 for the head from GC.

• Members

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll certainly take the craigslist suggestions to heart.

I do notice that the SVT-CL goes for around $900 on ebay at the moment, which doesn't seem much higher than you suggest GC would offer. Did you manage to sell your rig for 1500$ during the current economic situation or was it earlier?

Again, thank you all!

• Members

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll certainly take the craigslist suggestions to heart.

I do notice that the SVT-CL goes for around $900 on ebay at the moment, which doesn't seem much higher than you suggest GC would offer. Did you manage to sell your rig for 1500$ during the current economic situation or was it earlier?

Again, thank you all!

I checked my feedback and it was left for me on November 6, 2008 for the SVT-CL sale, so it wasn't too long ago.

A lot has changed since then and if you say that SVT-CLs are going for $900 on ebay these days, maybe my speculation on the GC trade in value is off. It seems to typically be 20-30% off of used retail. :idk:

• Members

I would think that you could get around $1000 like you're looking for, but I think it would be silly to do that. If someone gave you the rig and asked you to sell it for them for $200 would you do it? How much would it take to be worthwhile to you?

Additionally, I figured that GC would sell my cab for $500. I'd rather the person that buys the used cab from GC for $500, just buy it from me for $250 even. We could just cut out the middle man.

• Members

When I worked at Sam Ash, at best you would get 40% of what they could sell it for used. You'll totally get ripped off going to a chain store.

If you are more interested in just getting it off your hands then that is a quick effective way to do it. But you will not get what it is worth.

• Members

if you're going to sell it to a shop (daddy's, GC, MGR, etc) take your vaseline along, as you're going to get ass-raped. they have to buy it from you cheap enough to be able to make some money on it when they sell it.

you'll be far ahead selling it yourself to another user instead.

YMMV.

• Members

Thanks again everyone! Seems selling it myself is the way to go (suprise surprise). I go to school in a tiny town in Vermont, so I'll just wait till I go home to Massachusetts this summer and throw it up on craigs list. Like I said, there isn't any rush.

As for everyone commenting on how much they love the rig, I certainly do to. Its just a matter of not having any use for it now or in the foreseeable future. Of course, something could come up, but I'd rather cross that bridge when I come to it than sit on 2500$ of amp equipment someone else could put to better use!

Again, thanks for your help, its very much appreciated

• Members

GC will sell a used SVT-CL for 1000 bucks. A used 410HLF for 400-500 bucks, in all likelihood.

That means you can expect an offer of 500 + 250, or 750 for trade value. daddy's might go a little higher.

Most places, in my experience, give you half what they expect to list it at.

Edit: On easy selling gear like that you might *might* get 2/3rds of what they'll list it for. And I think they may be running a promotion at GC right now for gear purchasing. Not suret hought.

Archived