What's the word on Preamps?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have used the SVP-Pro in front of a QSC power amp for 6 years. It's awesome. The Tech 21 Sansamp is also very good for this set-up, IMO.

Thank you!

Which did you like better?

How much difference does the power amp make?

Were you able to get natural sounding dirty tones out of the Ampeg?

• Moderators
To use in a bass rig?

Why not? Tube Pre, excellent compressor and parametric eq. FX loop as well as 1/4" and XLR outputs. I wouldn't rule out any "channel strip" type of preamp, as long as it has the features you are looking for.

• Members

Thank you!

Which did you like better?

How much difference does the power amp make?

Were you able to get natural sounding dirty tones out of the Ampeg?

I like both. The SVP-PRO is tube based and sounds like an Ampeg. If you like the Ampeg sound, this is great. The Sansamp RBI can be shaped to sound smoother, although you can make it chunk, too.

I have the Sansamp bass DI pedal now, instead of the racked RBI. I do not use it 'live' but in the recording studio, instead. Many bassist use this pedal live for a second tone or as an overdirve, though.

The power amp needs to supply an appropriate amount of power for your cabinet.

• Members

HOLY COW!

Awesome site! but a little hard to tell the differences....
:idk:

True, but it's worth the money.

The tones are almost as close as you can get to real-life, too.

My favorites are the Demter(s), BBE Bmax's, and the d/c'd Aguilar DB659.

• Members

I like both. The SVP-PRO is tube based and sounds like an Ampeg. If you like the Ampeg sound, this is great. The Sansamp RBI can be shaped to sound smoother, although you can make it chunk, too.

I have the Sansamp bass DI pedal now, instead of the racked RBI. I do not use it 'live' but in the recording studio, instead. Many bassist use this pedal live for a second tone or as an overdirve, though.

The power amp needs to supply an appropriate amount of power for your cabinet.

I'm sort of new to this.....so what is that "ampeg sound"?

I meant, will different power amps make a difference? Or will any old power amp due?

• Members

What's the benefit of a preamp and power amp over an all in one?

Right now I have a Crown XLS402 power amp and a Traynor Bassmaster XS400H.

I tried messing around with a preamp/power amp set up....

I did a mesa bottlerocket OD pedal set clean (it's also what I use for all of my DI bass recording), into an ART tube preamp into the power amp.

It sounded okay, but the lack of a full EQ left me stuck with whatever tones I was getting.

• Members

What's the benefit of a preamp and power amp over an all in one?

Right now I have a Crown XLS402 power amp and a Traynor Bassmaster XS400H.

I tried messing around with a preamp/power amp set up....

I did a mesa bottlerocket OD pedal set clean (it's also what I use for all of my DI bass recording), into an ART tube preamp into the power amp.

It sounded okay, but the lack of a full EQ left me stuck with whatever tones I was getting.

well i can't speak much for all-in-ones, because the only model i owned was an Ampeg Svt4pro.

but, with the power amp i have now, the preamp, tuner, wireless, and furman, its lighter then the svt was by itself.

IMO, i'm not as boxed in with my tone, I can swap pre-amps if I want to, very easily, and not too terribly expensive either. I like having the freedom of a rackmount system in that aspect as well, I can add or subtract components.

I noticed my sound was much tighter and more articulate going from the SVT to the preamp/poweramp

Archived