If i build a bass cab with 4 75 watt speakers

FourSlapper

• Members

Well it's not really so simple as just slapping a couple speakers into a cab. The speaker gurus can ellaborate on this, but cabs are designed generally to accomodate the specific characteristics of specific speakers. Put the wrong speaker into a perfectly good cab, and it may not ever sound as good as it should.

• Members

4x75=300

i dunno, i guess i just thought it was common knowledge that the speakers combined watts is what deteremined the cab rating

i will be nicer to nooblets from now on
:o

Think about when you started. I bet you didn't know the names of notes, the difference between a tip-sleeve and a TRS cable, how ohms worked, or what 'headroom' meant. You had to learn that stuff.

• Moderators

Well it's not really so simple as just slapping a couple speakers into a cab. The speaker gurus can ellaborate on this, but cabs are designed generally to accomodate the specific characteristics of specific speakers. Put the wrong speaker into a perfectly good cab, and it may not ever sound as good as it should.

^^^ This.

If you have a cabinet with blown speakers, the first question is "did you do the damage?" If so, we need to figure out what went wrong.

Secondly, the relationship between the speakers and the cabinet is very important for bass speakers. If you want help figuring out the best speakers for the cabinet, let us know.

• Members

^^^ This.

If you have a cabinet with blown speakers, the first question is "did you do the damage?" If so, we need to figure out what went wrong.

Secondly, the relationship between the speakers and the cabinet is very important for bass speakers. If you want help figuring out the best speakers for the cabinet, let us know.

Listen to this guy, sometimes he knows what he's talking about. ;)

• Members

...Secondly, the relationship between the speakers and the cabinet is very important for bass speakers. If you want help figuring out the best speakers for the cabinet, let us know.

Ok then... suppose I have 4 of these and want to make cabs for them...

SPECIFICATIONS:

Nominal Basket Diameter 10", 254mm

Nominal Impedance* 8 ohms

Power Rating

Watts 200W

Music Program 400W

Resonance 35Hz

Usable Frequency Range 40Hz-2kHz

Sensitivity*** 92

Magnet Weight 38 oz.

Gap Height 0.312", 7.92mm

Voice Coil Diameter 2", 50.8mm

THIELE & SMALL PARAMETERS

Resonant Frequency (fs) 35Hz

DC Resistance (Re) 5.59

Coil Inductance (Le) 0.83mH

Mechanical Q (Qms) 5.36

Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.47

Total Q (Qts) 0.43

Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 91.2 liters / 3.2 cu.ft.

Peak Diaphragm Displacement Volume (Vd) 207cc

Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.54mm/N

BL Product (BL) 10.0 T-M

Diaphram Mass inc. Airload (Mms) 38 grams

Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP) 75

Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 6.2mm

Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 334.5 cm2

Maximum Mechanical Limit (Xlim) 10.0mm

Now, I used to build boxes for my own car audio stuff, so I kinda remember what some of these numbers mean, but it's been a long time. I do know that these came out of an SWR 4-10 cab, but what if I want to build (2) 2-10 cabs? Just take their 4-10 design and cut it in half?

Where's the best place to find a cab design for a known speaker?

• Moderators

Ok then... suppose I have 4 of these and want to make cabs for them...

Now, I used to build boxes for my own car audio stuff, so I kinda remember what some of these numbers mean, but it's been a long time. I do know that these came out of an SWR 4-10 cab, but what if I want to build (2) 2-10 cabs? Just take their 4-10 design and cut it in half?

Where's the best place to find a cab design for a known speaker?

The best place to find a cab design fora known speaker is from the speaker manufacturer itself. For example, Eminence provides cabinet specs for its drivers to give you examples of various tunings in which the speaker might perform.

If it were me, I'd input the TS parameters you have into WinISD and start playing with box size and tuning.

Archived