Revisiting one of your underplayed/underappreciated basses?

82Daion

• Members

I've been playing the Daion a lot more recently when I've just wanted something to grab and play along to songs with. Even if it doesn't see gigs much anymore, I still love this bass. I set it up with the DR Longnecks that didn't work on the STR a couple weeks back, and it now plays the best it ever has since I've owned it, which has now been over 4 years. Also, it's hard to believe that it's 27 years old this year. :eek:

I rewired it recently, but I'm going to have to do it over-Stewmac sold me linear-taper pots, which make it effectively useless. :mad: I've also got some copper foil to shield it with, which I hope to do along with the rewiring.

daion_closefront.jpg

:love:

Does anyone else have a bass in their stable that they've started playing more recently?

• Members

Unfortunately, the only other bass I have besides my Reverend is my first bass... A 1991 Squier P Deluxe with a badly misshapen neck and electronics that don't put out. So, no... I don't really play it anymore, but keep it for sentimental reasons.

• Members

Every time I pull out a bass I haven't used in a long time, I'm always reminded why I love it. I have yet to play a 'perfect' bass, but each one of mine is perfect in some way. Its like finding old friends, and a lot of fun. :cool:

• Members

I've got a small stable of basses--about nine, I think--and no stinkers. Every time I get G.A.S. I just start dragging all the basses out. I'm amazed and how stinkin' GREAT each one is, in different ways. It blows me away, really. None of my basses are really Jack of All Trades basses, they're all basses that have their own thing they do well. So each has it's own greatness. Thunderbird, Attitude II, Frankencision, Geddy Jazz, ABG, Rebop, Ric 5ver, 12ver, MM SUB--each has it's own thing. I like that. :thu:

The two basses out now are the Attitude II and the Frankencision. Sometimes it's the Geddy and/or SUB. T-bird doesn't like the bass stand at all so it doesn't stay out ever. Others come out and go back as I like but don't stay out.

• Members

Every time I pull out a bass I haven't used in a long time, I'm always reminded why I love it. I have yet to play a 'perfect' bass, but each one of mine is perfect in some way. Its like finding old friends, and a lot of fun.
:cool:

+1

Usually when the strings on a bass of mine finally die, that bass will sit dormant until I get around to buying another set, or every other bass needs new strings. Since I've been heavily playing either my Warwick Fortress or SX P bass, I pulled out the Warwick Corvette for a new show I'm working on. Put some Rotosounds on it; I forgot how deep and round this bass' tone is compared to the Fortress. The neck is nice and sleek in comparison to the P-Bass feel of the other.

• Members

At one time I had 13 basses...all of them that sat out on stands and I would just grab one and play when I wanted. However, after loosing my job and moving back to Springfield, I got to looking and thinking about them and ultimately decided that 13 was far too many and that I didn't play some of them at all. So...I gave the SX short scale to my son (which means I still get to play it occasionally :thu:), sold 6 others. Now, the 6 I have left, I have rotated through fairly regularly...except the only 5-string I have. That one usually stays out because I have finally adjusted to playing it and can switch back and forth between it and a 4 without having any problems. (I was going to sell it, too.)

The ones I have left are my Carvin LB70 (the one that matches my shirt :D), a Fender MIA Precision, Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V, T-40, SX "Geddy Lee" Wannabe Jazz and an SX fretless jazz.

• Members

I busted out the Charvel for my new cover rock band and keep it in C. Sounds as good as ever! :thu:

I was considering putting a 2-band preamp in it, but it sounds great as is. I just have to boost the volume one-half tick to make it even with the FB4 whenever I swap out which is no biggie at all. Sounds absolutely ferocious with a pick.

• Members

I practice with all my basses a lot, but that didn't stop me from taking 3 of them to be sold on consignment recently (and planning to do the same with more of them). My goal is to end up with two basses that I'm extremely familiar with, rather than 7 or 8 that I'm just okay with.

• Members

Yep, same here. I have three great basses and one crappy cheapo (that's the one I let careless folk use lol) - the great ones are all awesome in their own right, and tend tomake me lose GAS rather quickly.

Except that I played a new Ric last week. There's simply nothing else that sounds like that! One day I WILL get one.

I've got a small stable of basses--about nine, I think--and no stinkers. Every time I get G.A.S. I just start dragging all the basses out. I'm amazed and how stinkin' GREAT each one is, in different ways. It blows me away, really. None of my basses are really Jack of All Trades basses, they're all basses that have their own thing they do well. So each has it's own greatness. Thunderbird, Attitude II, Frankencision, Geddy Jazz, ABG, Rebop, Ric 5ver, 12ver, MM SUB--each has it's own thing. I like that.
:thu:

The two basses out now are the Attitude II and the Frankencision. Sometimes it's the Geddy and/or SUB. T-bird doesn't like the bass stand at all so it doesn't stay out ever. Others come out and go back as I like but don't stay out.

• Members

Every time I pull out a bass I haven't used in a long time, I'm always reminded why I love it. I have yet to play a 'perfect' bass, but each one of mine is perfect in some way. Its like finding old friends, and a lot of fun.
:cool:

I really can't help but second this. :thu:

Archived