OT: Obama wants to charge Veterans for VA care?!?!?!

Ender_rpm

• Members

I cannot believe this would ever be a consideration by anyone called "Commander In Chief". I thought W. knew how to reduce military recruitment. Guess Obama just one-upped W. in a major way.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be enraged by this policy. Yes, it will die on arrival to Congress as at least they have more people around to point out the lunacy of this policy suggestion, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the POTUS, IMHO.

Just a very dumb idea that should've been laughed off the table long before having an actual meeting about it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over this. This is the liberal press stirring up things.....um....wait a minute. Conservative press now?

But anyway, do you HONESTLY think the President will make veterans wounded in battle or in the service of their country actually have to pay for their own healthcare? Really? If indeed he really really means this, then he's shooting himself in the foot. You don't mess with veterans and expect your approval ratings to not to fall into the gutter.

We'll see what happens. But don't expect this to ever pass Congress.

• Members

I think everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over this. This is the liberal press stirring up things.....um....wait a minute. Conservative press now?

But anyway, do you HONESTLY think the President will make veterans wounded in battle or in the service of their country actually have to pay for their own healthcare? Really? If indeed he really really means this, then he's shooting himself in the foot. You don't mess with veterans and expect your approval ratings to not to fall into the gutter.

I'll ask again- if it was going to be DOA and "he really didn't mean it anyway", why again was it introduced? Who was/is he hoping to get brownie points from in this?

• Members
I think everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over this.

I'm not. I'm saying it's a horrible idea that will not come to pass, and was a dumb move on the presidents part.

The people with their panties in the bunch have had them in a bunch since Nov 4th and won't like have them unbunched anytime soon. :D

• Members

To be clear, he wants their private insurance companies, if they have them, to pick up the tab first, not foot the bill themselves (except for the co-pays, etc). I believe they will still be covered if they are uninsured.

• Members

It made the news and Obama is openly supporting it... The panties are exactly where they need to be.

• Members

I could've sworn that Obama's supporters told us that he wasn't anti-military... In fact, Dan stated that he wasn't worried about Obama's effect on his job status - kinda sheds a different light on things, huh??? - tip of the iceberg, I say...

I have to laugh at those whom believed Obama's election words over his past deeds...

- georgestrings

• Members
I could've sworn that Obama's supporters told us that he wasn't anti-military... In fact, Dan stated that he wasn't worried about Obama's effect on his job status - kinda sheds a different light on things, huh??? - tip of the iceberg, I say...

I have to laugh at those whom believed Obama's election words over his past deeds...

- georgestrings

Hush now... just calm yourself, duck your head in the sand, and the Obamanation will take care of everything... ;)

• Moderators
I'm not. I'm saying it's a horrible idea that will not come to pass, and was a dumb move on the presidents part.

The people with their panties in the bunch have had them in a bunch since Nov 4th and won't like have them unbunched anytime soon.
:D

Ah. Disagreeing with a POTUS candidate's platform and that same candidate turn President's policies = [catphish]have panties in a bunch[/catphish]:lol:

• Members
This has a long way to go. I predict they'll sort it out.
;)

I'm sure it will not get the support in congress that he thought it would, however.... even if this never gets to committee, the fact that the POTUS thinks this idea is acceptable in any way shape or form is morally abhorrent to me, and apparently many others.

• Members

I'm sure it will not get the support in congress that he thought it would, however.... even if this never gets to committee, the fact that the POTUS thinks this idea is acceptable in any way shape or form is morally abhorrent to me, and apparently many others.

Agreed 100%...

- georgestrings

• Members

If this results in NO increases to a vet's premiums, NO out of pocket costs for the vet, and better medical services for the vet...

it might be "OK" in practice, but it still stinks politically.

The WH hasn't said anything. Was this leaked to the press? (which is fine and very common - just wondering what the source is).

• Members
If this results in NO increases to a vet's premiums, NO out of pocket costs for the vet, and better medical services for the vet...

The WH hasn't said anything. Was this leaked to the press? (which is fine and very common - just wondering what the source is).

Actually, it stinks in practice as well from a president who has said that we need a national healthcare plan and has even used the VA as an example of how to fix the system. ;)

• Members

FWIW, the second article was taken from today's edition of the Early Bird, which is a special news product for military and gov't. If it makes Early Bird, everyone in the military is gonna hear about it. The first article was based on the story as told by the leader of the American Legion to a reporter after he met with the President on the issue.

• Members

The WH hasn't said anything because it's a fairly small point in the $3.6 Trillion spending bill being put before Congress that they probbaly did not expect to get noticed. And IMO it will NOT result in better care for Vet's, if only becase they will be subject to TWO sets of medical administration, and be responsible for co-pays and deductibles for service related care. This is a penny wse, pound foolish move if there ever was one.

• Members

It was presented 03/12/09 to the Senate and House veterans affairs committees by VA Chief Shinseki.

"Shinseki received a warm welcome when he presented the budget outline to the Senate and House veterans' affairs committees. But he also got a string of strong warnings from committee members over a cost-saving proposal that Shinseki conceded is under study. The administration is considering charging veterans' health insurance plans earned through civilian employment for VA's costs in treating service-connected injuries or ailments."

• Members

From his website http://www.barackobama.com/issues/veterans/

1. Barack Obama will restore our sacred trust with our nation's veterans:

Obama and Biden are committed to creating a 21st Century Department of Veterans' Affairs that provides the care and benefits our nation's veterans deserve.

2. Help returning service members:

Obama and Biden will improve the quality of health care for veterans, rebuild the VA's broken benefits system, and combat homelessness among veterans.

3. Improve mental health treatment:

Obama and Biden will improve mental health treatment for troops and veterans suffering from combat-related psychological injuries.

Yeah, off to a good start BO.

• Members
Wait, I'm confused. I thought we shouldn't be trusting news organizations.
:idk:

Oh wait, it's only when the news reports stuff we agree with or inflames us and works us into a lather.

Got it.
:thu:

Let's take the title of this article for example

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment

You would assume this is coming out of vet's pockets directly instead of out of the insurance industry's pockets (for the most part)

Guess which idea sells more copy?

The Press mostly sux.

• Members

Let's take the title of this article for example

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment

You would assume this is coming out of vet's pockets directly instead of out of the insurance industry's pockets (for the most part)

Guess which idea sells more copy?

The Press mostly sux.

"The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans!"

• Moderators
"The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies.
I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans!
"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The number of posters caught up in the misdirection makes me laugh.

Archived