OT: Obama wants to charge Veterans for VA care?!?!?!

Ender_rpm

• Members

Link to story (Fixed)

Bottom line up front: The president wants to charge a Veteran's private healthcare insurance FIRST to cover service related medical care. The savings: $540 million. The cost: The US Gov't breaking faith with those who have sacrificed the most to keep this country free. I wrote both of my Senators, my House Rep, and the Office of the President through Whitehouse.gov. I urge everyone, ut especially all my fellow Vets to do the same. In a time where we are handing out millions in corporate welfare to wiz kids who should have known better, the last thing we should contemplate is charging our wounded hero's for care of afflictions gained in our nations service.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Link no worky. Fixy linky: http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20090316/pl_usnw/the_american_legion_strongly_opposed_to_president_s_plan_to_charge_wounded_heroes_for_treatment

I'll wait for more information to come out, as right now it seems like it's just what the American Legion dude says. I find the idea absolutely deplorable, so hopefully the story is just overblown.

• Members

Another version of the story, slightly less inflamatory, but the basics remain the same. Bolded text is my doing.

Tacoma News Tribune

March 17, 2009

Who Pays For War Wounds?

By David Goldstein, McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON

• Moderators

"He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but
refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations
that would be compromised by it."

I thought our President had great ability and experience of working across the aisle. Comments such as these would indicate otherwise.

• Moderators
Somehow his wife forgot to mention this tidbit when she talked about hubby's 3% pay increase plan for the Military folks in her first interview since his taking office the other day.Nothing that maggot does surprises me.

I don't support his policies, but frankly calling our POTUS, no matter who that is, a "maggot" is over the top. Your post carried more weight previous to that comment.

• Members

It shows a lack of depth. By passing these costs to insurance companies (with some co-pays, etc, to the vets themselves), they are not considering the ramifications to those insurance companies (and vets) suddenly paying out lots more. The result will be higher insurance rates for all, just what President Obama was campaigning against. I swear Ayn Rand is turning out to be more of a prophet than an author.

• Members

I'm surprised because this is politically a very stupid move and President Obama is not normally politically stupid.

Agree.

As I said, it's a horrible idea, and one that is almost certainly not going to come to pass. Bringing it up at all makes no sense.

• Members

I'm surprised because this is politically a very stupid move and President Obama is not normally politically stupid.

Depends on how you look at it-

Pre-election, I would agree with you.

Since inauguration day, he can't pay people to make the right moves for him. Just look at his attempts at cabinet posts. I mean how ridiculous can you get?

• Members

I don't support his policies, but frankly calling our POTUS, no matter who that is, a "maggot" is over the top. Your post carried more weight previous to that comment.

I respect the office but that doesn't mean I have to respect the guy holding it.Certainly not to a man who shows no respect to soldiers wounded in combat fighting for their country.

Under the circumstances I consider maggot generous.

• Members

Bringing it up at all makes no sense.

Why? So we don't get to see/hear/read/discuss what he's really about? I mean I guess b/c it isn't going to pass it's being announced/proposed at all for the good press it's going to garner, eh? :facepalm:

Archived