Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper?

Bass8987

• Members

I haven't purchased a newspaper in more than 10 years.

The mattress ads, cell phone ads, and diamond ring ads go in first. The news fits AROUND the ads. In order to get me to see the ads, the news has to be emotional, explosive, titillating, outrageous, bloody, etc. No, thank you.

I don't own a television, either, for similar reasons.

• Members

The local daily isn't any good. I still pick up the "artsier" biweekly and daily student paper, which are free. They're still a valuable source for community discourse, and I enjoy being able to read them without staring at a monitor.

I get my "current" national news from the New York Times and CNN online.

• Moderators
Newspapers give a detailed run-down of what happened yesterday...in a form that's easy to take anywhere. Like the bathroom.
:D

The big newspapers in the big cities I can see being in trouble. But out here in the sticks they're still very viable as for many it's still the main source of their news plus the coupon inserts and local items, plus the sports pages with the high-school scores etc etc. The newspapers out here will be around for quite a while...but the big-boys are certainly in trouble.

Not to mention the daily crossword puzzles. Yeah there are online crosswords, but really there's nothing like taking pencil to paper.
:thu:

My wife does them in pen.

• Members
Seriously, who's got the time to read a daily newspaper? They belong to the 20th century as far as I'm concerned.

Weekly news magazines, sure I read them. For daily news I have radio and internet.

I read papers a lot, an hour-long commute each morning gives you the time :)

Archived