Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper?

Bass8987

• Members

Today is the last edition of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which has been going on since 1863. I was wondering if anyone here still subscribes to a newspaper or just get the info online. My parents quit getting the Seattle Times daily and only get the Sunday edition. The Seattle Times is also struggling and may quit, leaving Seattle without a daily newspaper.

• Members

I subscribed to my hometown paper from the time I had my first apartment. ABout 3 years ago, they cut WAY back on delivery and I can't get it anymore. I do read the online version everyday, which I have to PAY for. But it is the only way to be on top of the local news.

I typically buy 2 Sunday papers, the Boston Globe and the regional paper, neither of which can I get delivered even if I wanted to.

• Members

I think you're right, Catphish. It's a shame, though ...

Why is it a shame, other than nostalgia?

If other sources only rip off from papers, then once papers are gone they'll need to do their own work, which will result in jobs for people who formerly reported for the papers.

The days of a physical newspaper are numbered, my friend.

• Members

Why is it a shame, other than nostalgia?

You may consider it nostalgia, but I've been reading a daily newspaper since I was 12. I vastly prefer the print copy to online. It is portable and convenient, as well as a welcome respite from sitting in from of a monitor of one type or another. I also enjoy the opportunity to quietly absorb information, without a talking head directing it at me, or 50 flash ads rippling around.

It is why I lament that my local paper no longer delivers. It is my preferred form for getting a daily dose of local news.

Although, I will give an approving nod to the nostalgic, the visceral pleasure of holding a newspaper in front of you and turning its pages. And everyone has their own way of negotiating a newspaper. How you hold it, how you fold it, the order you read it in. It may be nostalgic, but it is also pleasurable.

• Members

You may consider it nostalgia, but I've been reading a daily newspaper since I was 12. I vastly prefer the print copy to online. It is portable and convenient, as well as a welcome respite from sitting in from of a monitor of one type or another. I also enjoy the opportunity to quietly absorb information, without a talking head directing it at me, or 50 flash ads rippling around.

Buy a printer. :lol:

• Members

... And everyone has their own way of negotiating a newspaper. How you hold it, how you fold it, the order you read it in. It may be nostalgic, but it is also pleasurable.

I never liked that aspect of reading a paper - having to move the pages around and fold them, meanwhile getting ink all over your fingers. A magazine format is easier to read, IMHO.

• Members

Newspapers give a detailed run-down of what happened yesterday...in a form that's easy to take anywhere. Like the bathroom. :D

The big newspapers in the big cities I can see being in trouble. But out here in the sticks they're still very viable as for many it's still the main source of their news plus the coupon inserts and local items, plus the sports pages with the high-school scores etc etc. The newspapers out here will be around for quite a while...but the big-boys are certainly in trouble.

Not to mention the daily crossword puzzles. Yeah there are online crosswords, but really there's nothing like taking pencil to paper. :thu:

• Members

What Basshunter said.

I can buy a newspaper, take it to the cafe, read it, do the crossword, tear out bits, do all sorts of stuff that I could do with an eReader or similar but actually prefer not to.

Then again, I don't understand why people spend all their time texting (and I have to read texts as part of my job, lots of them, and it's all crepe).

And what's wrong with nostalgia for good things?

Maybe I'm old too.

• Members

For news - yes, maybe RSS or the equivalent would do (but the adage "Don't believe everything you read in the papers" applies much more to such disposable news.) I'd still rather know who's writing it.

And for all the good stuff, like analysis by writers you trust, a newspaper is pretty much irreplaceable.

Archived